Coley909

Transmission fluid and Oil capacity in 1965 1075

Coley909

Changing my oil during the plowing season. I looked it up on tractor data they say 2.5 qts my manual says 3 pints which is 1.5 qts so who's right? Probably the manual... Just want to make sure. Should I change the transmissions fluid as well?

rmaynard

From the Toro/Wheel Horse Lubrication Bulletin

post-2221-0-42492400-1423972829_thumb.pn

• Like 1

Coley909

Didn't know we had that thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coley909

Well I wanted to just top off my transmission fluid but I don't have the slightest clue what fluid is in there now. Should I switch to 10w-30? Should I use dextron 3? How do I switch fluids?

pfrederi

Wipe the dip stick on a clean paper towel.  if it is red it is ATF (Dexron3).  Tan or darker it is motor oil.  I would stick with what ever you have in there now.  They do not mix well and flushing is a project.

Coley909

From just looking at the dip stick it's pink. I'll double check with a paper towel but I just wanted to make sure it was the way to go and if it's dextron 2 or 3 because I know they don't mix either. I may just drain it and put in dextron 3

chazm

Pink = water :banghead:   drain it ...fill with diesel fuel...run it a short time... drain it again & put new fluid in it :handgestures-thumbupright:

Coley909

I didn't check it against the paper towel I just meant it's not oil in that thing.

pfrederi

Pink = water :banghead:   drain it ...fill with diesel fuel...run it a short time... drain it again & put new fluid in it :handgestures-thumbupright:

I do not think running a hydro with Diesel for any time at all is a good idea. It is ok to use it to clean out geared units but not hydros.

pfrederi

From just looking at the dip stick it's pink. I'll double check with a paper towel but I just wanted to make sure it was the way to go and if it's dextron 2 or 3 because I know they don't mix either. I may just drain it and put in dextron 3

They make an ATF now that is backward compatible with Dexron 3 and older types ( and even early Mercons.)

chazm

I do not think running a hydro with Diesel for any time at all is a good idea. It is ok to use it to clean out geared units but not hydros.

DOOOH... :eusa-doh:    My bad .. I need to read before I speak.. :confusion-shrug:

Coley909

Haha ok glad I didn't do that. I saw a atf that says universal for any transmissions after 1983 or something like that. Should I go that route? Or just dump it and fill it with dex 3

pfrederi

It certainly would be a good idea to change the fluid (and filter) especially if you do not know how long it has been in there.

Fordiesel69

If you cannot identify what fluid is in there just use a 10w-30 oil and change it twice.  No need to split heads over it.  Use a genuine Toro filter.  Aftermarket filter will go into bypass mode whenver cold which will push all the fine dirt back into the tranny.  I am aware of a very short list of aftermarket filters that work well in these tranny's but  I do not know tha prt #'s.

Using the diesel / kerosene flush method is great for gearboxes.  Not for hydro's.  The best bet for a hydro is to change the fluid multiple times and get it hot before changing.

bmsgaffer

If you cannot identify what fluid is in there just use a 10w-30 oil and change it twice.  No need to split heads over it.  Use a genuine Toro filter.  Aftermarket filter will go into bypass mode whenver cold which will push all the fine dirt back into the tranny.  I am aware of a very short list of aftermarket filters that work well in these tranny's but  I do not know tha prt #'s.

Using the diesel / kerosene flush method is great for gearboxes.  Not for hydro's.  The best bet for a hydro is to change the fluid multiple times and get it hot before changing.

He said the dipstick is pink/red colored, definitely want to use ATF -- NOT engine oil so you dont have to flush the whole system. :handgestures-thumbupright:

Edited by bmsgaffer

Coley909

Bought some dex 3 last night going to drain it this weekend and fill it back up. Is all the fluid going to come out? I know on cars it doesn't because of the torque convert, yes these don't have a torque converter as far as I know but wasn't sure if some other place would hold a quart or two. Either way I bought plenty to fill it up.

Coley909

Dumb question to add. How do I read the dip stick? By screw it all the way back into the case or by just dipping it in without tightening it at all

rmaynard

Dipstick is read by resting it on the crankcase, not screwing it it.

bmsgaffer

If we are still talking about the transmission, I fully seat it and check (no threads), but I could be wrong about this.

No it will not all come out, there will be fluid in all the hydro lines, the cylinder, and the pump and motor. This is usually fine, however if you are worried about it then change it once (just replace what you remove) then run it for a while (moving hydro and lift cylinder) and change it again. You still wont get it all but that should get most of the bad stuff out.

Coley909

Haha two different answers. That's never good

pfrederi

Kohler's idea to set dip stick threads on the engine crankcase to measure oil level is sort of unique (and I think based on Bob's reply mentioning crankcase that is what he was thinking of not your hydrostatic transmission).  Just about everybody else measures levels with the dipstick pushed all the way in or screwed on snuggly. Reality is it isn't a hugely significant difference.

• Like 1

Coley909

Ok sounds good I just couldn't decide which way to measure I'll do it resting on the case

bmsgaffer

Yea I just replied because I think Bob was thinking engine, not transmission... Transmissions don't have crankcases so that tipped me off.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

(Honest mistake, since this topic is in the wrong section... :eusa-whistle: )

Edited by bmsgaffer

Coley909

Yea I just replied because I think Bob was thinking engine, not transmission... Transmissions don't have crankcases so that tipped me off. :handgestures-thumbupright:

(Honest mistake, since this topic is in the wrong section... :eusa-whistle: )

I'm new I don't know what to do!

• Like 1

bmsgaffer

I'm new I don't know what to do!

Haha I'm just teasing ya. :teasing-poke:  An admin may bump it to the right section, but as far as your transmission goes looks like you are on a good path, right?