btm1970

551 leave it alone or paint it

btm1970

I scored this amazing 551. it was from an original owner who died and his nephew was selling it. it was bought brand new in the spring of 1962. he bought it with the 1962 options of headlights and back seat rest. I have the original paperwork and the 1962 literature that shows color pictures of the headlights and backrest. it has all belt gaurds, side discharge covers on deck and original pull chain for pin in snow blade and rope for turning the blade.

I cant stand the way it looks. im dying to tear it down and make it look pretty. John Campbell keeps telling me "its a survivor and leave it alone. will painting it hurt value or increase value?post-8341-0-09981000-1423870805_thumb.jp

• Like 7

smoreau

Go for it! Its yours and you have to live with it. Make like you want !!

There all survivors!!

ericj

clean it up and see how it turns out if you still don't like it then you can paint it. but you just might like it. don't rush your decision, get it running, if not already running then give it a good cleaning and see what it looks right. i not a fan of oiling them up. a lot of guy like it though, so to each their own. nice tractor good luck

eric j 

Edited by ericj

Racinbob

Definitely clean it up and then decide. You found a gem and might be surprised how it looks all cleaned up. If you want to restore it by all means do and nobody here will sit you in a corner as long as you post pictures. :)

Racinbob

Oh yea, the value. A super sweet resto will bring top dollar from the right person. An original will do the same. Either way you're not talking retirement funds so it's really a toss up.

• Like 1

can whlvr

I know that original is only once,but a nice restore done proper looks really good too.so in the end its your tractor,as long as she is being preserved its all good,that rust on the tank would drive me nuts too

Dieselcowboy

Anyone can restore one... It takes years and years to make them like you have, well taken care of. And yes once is all you get. A sand blaster takes seconds to undo years of great care. It is yours just give it a chance to clean up and shine the way it is.

Edited by Dieselcowboy
  • Like 3

neil

Original ones are getting harder to find , I remember going to a show once and there were a few restored tractors and one in its original condition , there were around 10 people looking over the original one & two people glancing over the restored ones .

I guess it all depends on your own particular taste , I personally like the patina on the original ones and it all depends on what you intend to do with the tractor if you restore it , if you decide to work it it will probably be in a similar condition to what it is in now in a couple o years .

Whichever you choose you will have fun in doing either , which is the most important part.

AMC RULES

Personally speaking, I think the restored ones are boring...   

removing 50+ years of patina is removing it's history.   :eusa-doh:  

N3PUY

If you paint it today it might turn out PINK

• Like 5

AMC RULES

:text-yeahthat: What ever you do...don't do that.   :eusa-doh: 

Edited by AMC RULES

JackC

How would your grandmother look with lipstick, eyeliner, and makeup?  

Take your time with it and I would do what ejicj said.

AMC RULES

How would your grandmother look with lipstick, eyeliner, and makeup?  

Like one hot grandma, of course.   :scared-eek: 

• Like 2

Jake Kuhn

Very nice one brad! If it were mine, I'd just get everything working right, and do a nice clean up on it...as everyone has said they are only original once, but its up to you. You do some VERY NICE restorations so whichever way you go I'm sure it will turn out good! As far as value goes, it will probably be worth about the same restored or original, and probably easier to sell original. But again, its your tractor, and look forward to seeing whichever way you go with it.

• Like 1

VinsRJ

I like them original but the rims and tires (tire paint the tires and repaint the rims)

Tristan Wilson

just a little cleaning leave it alone their only original once  

Spareparts

That is a toss up, collector's and tractor people like original, some one wanting their first toy like shiny, if you are going to keep it, well that choice is strictly up to you. Above all else have fun with it, personally I like Shiny.

boovuc

I'll add my 4 cents. (inflation).

That is a beautiful tractor. I agree with the majority. after you wash off the mud. dust, oil and grim, take some oil to that patina. You could replace the majority of the fasteners but I would look it over and see what you think before stripping all the old finish off and repainting.

It is YOUR tractor. You do what you want with it. Honestly in regard to value, none of our tractors, even an RS Pond, is going to result in a windfall of "the good life". 

And Jack's analogy of a grandmother look with lipstick, eyeliner, and makeup is great! I like both restored and original looks. But I can't imagine my grandmother all gussied up!

post-940-0-34642800-1423943397.jpg

• Like 1

Live4outdoors

Definately, cleanup first and oil patina before making a rash decision on stripping. Look at my thread about patina or not patina, before this forum I was going to strip and repaint and now I smile every time I step in my garage and see the old patina. I am on the fence with the rims though...I might consider painting them for they are too rusted and rough, but want to see a tractor with fresh rims on patina. Make sure whatever you do that you are happy with the end result!