Sign in to follow this  
Pacific Dog

New Guy Here

Pacific Dog

Hello All,

I'm a new guy here out in sunny southern California. That means year round mowing for me instead of snow. I stumbled upon a WH 314-H (560 hours) on craigslist for $200 with a 42" rear discharge deck. It had been rescued from the Marines at Camp Pendleton. I should have read this forum first to be warned about the changes in my relationship with lawn equipment!

I was impressed with the construction/weight of this garden tractor and the beefiness of the deck. I ordered Recycler Kit 86001 and realized that even though the deck was solid, it certainly wasn't straight. Some hammering, pressing and twisting and it mows like a champ. I put 8" wheels on the deck to increase my mow height for the Marathon fescue.

The motor has a new spark, oil, air filter and tuned it up. New grease through all the zerks.

Now time to tear it down, check over the engine/trans, repaint it, there's a stack in store for it...

Any tricks or hints on the trans and engine would be greatly appreciated.

Oh yeah, the kids really like it too.

Dan in Whittier, CA

tractor%20pull.jpg

BPjunk

Hi Dan,

One question. Why tear the engine and transmission down when the tractor has only 560 hours on it?

The 314-H should last more then double those hours before heavy maintenance needs to be done. :banghead:

Wild Bill in Richmond, Va.

TT

:USA: , Dan!

Glad to see another "west coast representative" here at RedSquare! I was beginning to think we had all of the Horses here in the east. :omg:

I'll side with BP on the teardown plans..... unless it had a poor maintenance routine, the engine and transmission should be good for at least another 600 hours! :banghead:

T-Mo

Hi, Dan.

:banghead:

I agree with Bill. Unless there's something wrong, there's no need to tear down the engine and transmission, unless you meant to remove them for repainting the frame. Changing the fluid and filter is all you should need for the transmission. It sounds like you replaced everything for the engine, except maybe the fuel filter. At those low hours, both engine and transmission has a lot of life in them. The only other thing I would do would be to be sure the cooling fins on the engine are clean and there is no build up of crud on the transmission.

kj4kicks

Hi Dan

Duff

Hi, Dan, and :USA: ! Glad to have you aboard.

I concur with my more knowledgable friends above. I've got a 312 with just under a thousand hours on the original and intact engine, and it's still "tight and right". My humble advice is to save yourself the work for now and enjoy your machine - they are terrific tractors! Repainting? Well, that's purely a matter of personal preference, but most of us tend to freshen up the colors from time to time!

Cute kids, by the way!

Again, :omg:

Duff :banghead:

Pacific Dog

Thanks for the welcome here.

The maintenance is completely unknown. The engine doesn't burn oil. The transmission and lift work.

But it does show signs of neglect and some abuse.

* Every rim edge had a flat spot on it (hammered them back over).

* The twisted deck.

* The three spindles were dry.

* At some point they all ran into something as the three deck holes had to be leveled and aligned.

* I don't think it was ever stored under cover, the paint is very faded and the hood lid is rusted.

The guy I bought it from purchased it from Camp Pendleton, if it was green I might have thought it had been used for suburban assault missions of some sort :banghead:

I probably will not tear down the engine and trans. But I will need to get all the panels off to prep and paint nicely. No reason to let it deteriorate.

Dan

JimD

:banghead: dan. lookin for your next one yet? if not , it won't be long! ask questions often, cause these guys really know their stuff. and please post pictures of your progress on the restoration. jim.

TJ

My Son is a Marine stationed at Camp Pendleton. :USA: I just wanted to say how proud I am of Him, even if He was the one who didn't grease the mower deck. :banghead: Right now I'm using His bedroom to store the painted parts of a 654 that I am doing a complete restoration on. I broke it down to nuts and bolts, so You can imagine the mess. I have untill christmas to get the tractor back together again, or at least moved out of his room. :omg: I haven't figured this computer thing out yet, so I don't know how to begin or end a new paragraph. What I do know Is that I read Your topic, and saw the picture of you and your kids so happy, and it brought a smile to My face, and a tear to my Eye. Thank You.

saguaro

Just say'n hello. You came to the right place, there's an unbelievable fountain of knowledge here. :banghead:

Sarge

Having spent some quality time at Pendleton myself with Uncle Sam's Misguided Children , I can assure you that tractor was probably used for some sort of assault training as much as any piece of equipment they have . That said , however, doesn't mean it's anywhere near needing any major work . Consider this - my 1277 (1967) is only getting close to needing an overhaul ....

Sarge

KyBlue

Welcome to RedSquare :banghead: Those kids look really happy!

Raider12

:banghead: :USA::omg: Glad to have ya around! I have to admit I wish I could mow all 12 months of the year!

Denver NEO Ohio

jusjeepn

:thumbs: Dan. This is a great place and almost as addicting as these red horses we all own and gather here to talk about! The advise given here is top notch :omg: and we'll always try to steer you in the right direction either from past experiences or mistakes :banghead: .

That is one nice lookin machine you got there and it will become part of the family (just look at the kids faces) :lol:. Plan on adding on to the garage or adding another building to store all your future horses and accessories :USA: . Enjoy your first and one more time :lol:

wh500special

Whittier...home of Richard Nixon, right?

I'd imagine the dry climate you have out there has minimzed the rust and other damage that could have befallen your tractor. I second the motion to leave it as-is and enjoy it!

Steve

Pacific Dog

Hello All,

Thanks again for the welcome.

The Marine base where the tractor lived for 12 years is right next to the Pacific Ocean. The bare parts have that salty patina that unprotected metal gets.

As I posted earlier the engine and trans will not be unbuttoned unless necessary. But I do want to stop any corrosion ASAP.

Steve - Yes Whittier was the home of Pat Nixon, Richard Nixon grew up in La Habra right next door but went to high school and college in Whittier. His museum is in Yorba Linda the location of his birthplace. Whether for or against his administration it is a good museum to visit.

bowtieguy

Dan... :USA: you will have fun here and gets lots of good tech stuff on WH when ya need it....you have a great tractor ...with low hours , you should not have any problems for years...I just got a 312-H (w/289 hrs) last month and mowed my yard for the last time this year, then put the SNOW BLADE on....after all it is snowing in some parts of the country already...it appears to be a great tractor and I'm sure you will like your 314...if you ever need another deck, I think I know where a couple are located....if you want to "dress it up" a bit, look at Kevin's post about side covers and alum footrest plates...in the "modification" section I think.

I have triplet grandsons (one year old) and have wondering how I was going to get 3 wagons hooked up....your pic looks like what I need....geez, wonder how many ole wagons I passed up at farm sales not knowing I might need more than one some day :banana:

You have another Wheel Horse guru on the west coast if you ever need any advise on WH stuff....Bruce Marion is near LA I think and he posts on the Yahoo groups sometimes...don't see him on RS yet......another guy is near Seattle and that is about all of the WH guys that I know that are on the west coast..(but do have a 22 yr old nephew stationed at Camp P right now after 2 trips to the Iraq)\

So have fun with your new tractor and don't be a stranger on RS.... :banghead:

Brian1045

Glad to have ya around! I have to admit I wish I could mow all 12 months of the year!
:banghead::USA::omg:

:thumbs: :lol:

pond195520032003

Hi Dan, and :omg: glad to see you already know how to add pictures to your posts :banghead: great tractor, and nice to see your kids approve :USA: :horseplay:

linen beige

I should have read this forum first to be warned about the changes in my relationship with lawn equipment!

You haven't had quiet enough time for the reality of that statement to fully sink in.

And :banghead: , Great looking kids!

Before you tear into this one for a refurbish you'll HAVE to find your second one. That way you'll have one to use while this one's down and won't be rushed into making mistakes. Check her over real good for signs of green paint. She may have been used to assault a JD.

Stigian

:banghead: Dan

I should have read this forum first to be warned about the changes in my relationship with lawn equipment!

That made me laugh :USA:

Once caught the WH bug will stay with you for life. It gets under your skin, into your blood, and your hooked. Your never look at a small tractor in the same way again :omg:

jerrell

:banghead: hey dan, welcome to redsquare, as stated above you will get the best advice ever here, i too enjoy having to mow sometimes in the winter, i am in central arkansas, we may get a dusting of snow in the last parts of winter, but nothing like the northern guys, i bought a horse about 5 months ago and already bought another one, it is addicting and i bet you will keep your eyes open for others, these horses are almost indestructable. i really like the wagons, good looking children.. again welcome,,

Rod(NASNUT)

:banghead: Dan you have come to the right place for everything Wheel Horse.

tasmi01

Hi Dan :USA: that's a fine lookin mare you got there glad to have you join. :banghead:

bell

Dan, :USA:

Great pic!!!

Make sure you post pics when you buy more... :banghead: