Sign in to follow this  
Projekt B-60

Engine Paint

Projekt B-60

I'm about 75% complete painting up my 'ol B-60 with Rustoleum Safety Red. I'm going to start tearing apart the motor and would like to make it look spiffy.

Question: What Brand/color engine paint have people been using? I would like to keep it very close to the Rustoleum Safety Red.

Also, is a wire wheel the best method to clean up the engine cooling fins and engine block?

Any info much appreciated.

saguaro

The fins are a pain. Wire wheels and brushes dont reach. My engine was aprtly torn down. I used a wire bruch as much as I could on the fins then soaked the head and fins paint remover then used a real stiff hairbrush and a stiff paint brush.

If I had sand blaster that would have been my choice.

TT

First & foremost..... :omg:

I found that a braided cup wheel on my 4 1/2" angle grinder does a great job of cleaning an engine block. (use caution around edges where it can catch and toss it out of your hands though! :USA: ) A small hand wire brush will clean the cooling fins.

dragtractor040908007.jpg

As far as the paint goes...... if you're using Rustoleum red for the tractor, use it for the engine too. It will discolor/burn around the exhaust port, but so will most any other paint you use. :banghead: