Nathanielperz

Transmission For Dozer

Nathanielperz

So my friend and I want to take a garden tractor and turn it into a bulldozer to go crawling around in the woods and stuff... We have most of the design planned out but no matter how many times I try to think of a different way... I cant figure out the bulldozer steering so independent track control with out 2 transmissions but I have been watching YT videos and  it seems like everyone is only using one. How do they do this?

And yes I have seen the plans for sale on ubuilditplans.com  but I don't want plans I want to be able to say it was completely our design... Ya know?

Thanks in advance, Nate

Edited by Nathanielperz

dodgemike

Nate, just an idea. One hydro

Pump with two variable displace-

Ment wheel motors. Might find

Someone scrapping an old Hustler

Mower. The early Struck dozers

Were all belt drive. The track

Levers had idlers that tensioned

The belt. You may have been

Down this road. I would like to

Know what you do come up with.

Mike

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

Nathanielperz

We were also thinking trying to get our hands on a zero turn mower transmission...

fireman

If your interested I can save you a lot of time and effort and sell you my mini dozer. It's a Lennon Kittytrack 600. Really rare. Needs a little work but it's all there and complete. I have the complete manual with parts break down. It's not cheap but would save you a ton of time and work.

post-1626-0-13178200-1423427652_thumb.jp

post-1626-0-77768300-1423427663_thumb.jp

post-1626-0-84078400-1423427676_thumb.jp

• Like 2

312Hydro

Fireman, Have you done a separate post on your dozer? That's an interesting machine.

ericj

i seen a guy use 2 small brake assemblies don't remember what tractor he pulled them off might have been a bolens but not sure he fitted them to the wheel horse trans. maybe somebody else will know what for brakes might work

eric j

wallfish

I can tell you how to do it but then it will be MY design...  ya know :ychain:

I don't really see a problem with buying a proven design and modifying the build to fit your needs.

The differential "slips" and power is supplied to the one wheel on the outside of the turn, to aid in tighter turning. A vehicle which has both rear wheels locked with power will want to go straight.

Ever notice when you're stuck in the mud or on ice, the wheel with less traction is the wheel which is turning. Instead of thinking of a way to supply power, think brake one wheel and the other will turn. Maybe one stick for forward and reverse power, 2 foot pedals for braking each side to turn. Look for the thread Massy did on his dozer build.

Stigian

Hi Nate, I used 2 hydro trans on my 6x6 wheel horse which would work on a tracked machine...

This should give you inspiration.... Massey's amazing tracked Wheel Horse

Nathanielperz

How did you do it Ian?

Fireman how much are you asking for it?

fireman

Sent you a PM

Nathanielperz

I can tell you how to do it but then it will be MY design...  ya know :ychain:

I don't really see a problem with buying a proven design and modifying the build to fit your needs.

The differential "slips" and power is supplied to the one wheel on the outside of the turn, to aid in tighter turning. A vehicle which has both rear wheels locked with power will want to go straight.

Ever notice when you're stuck in the mud or on ice, the wheel with less traction is the wheel which is turning. Instead of thinking of a way to supply power, think brake one wheel and the other will turn. Maybe one stick for forward and reverse power, 2 foot pedals for braking each side to turn. Look for the thread Massy did on his dozer build.

What I meant was I don't want to pay for someone else's design! Lol :D

Stigian

How did you do it Ian?

Hi Nathan, I could be cruel here and just post a link to my 6x6 build thread.. But it's so long it would take you days to find the bit you need :D

If you crack open a trans and turn all the pinion gears in the diff the same way round, you will only get drive out of one side of the trans.. Which side depends on the direction you turn the pinion gears.

So if you have two trans'sss with the pinion gears turned the opposite way round to each other you get independent drive each side..

This wouldn't work using two 4 or 8 speed trans'ss, but it works very well using two hydro's :thumbs:

Nathanielperz

My thought was to get 2 transmissions and open them up (now it might get a little hard to follow but maybe not I'm not sure) and remove all the drive gears from one side of one transmission and the opposite side on the other... So if on the back tranny you removed the drive gears on the right side then on the front tranny you would remove the drive gears on the left side....

I'm not sure if that makes sense but it does in my mind! :ychain:  :icecream:

-Nate

wheel-mule

I thought if you put all the pinion gears the same way it would lock the rearead. What makes it work on the hydro and not the gear drive?

Stigian

I thought if you put all the pinion gears the same way it would lock the rearead. What makes it work on the hydro and not the gear drive?

Nope, putting them the same way around will give you drive out of one side only.. Which way around you put them determines which side gets the drive.

The reason this would only work using two hydros is you can speed up or slow down each hydro independent of the other.. So if you slow down the hydro that drives say the left side, and speed up the right side the machine will turn left..

Here's a link about turning the pinion gears around..

And here's a link to the start of me installing two hydros on my 6x6 including Scott's handy tip about turning the pinion gears..