Sign in to follow this  
Kelly

White walls for WH

combatmp29r

Heres another pic of a flipped front axle. I don't know how Michcruiser did his spindles, but I know theses were drilled and tapped for 3/8 bolts to hold the spindles in place. They screw in to what was the top of the spindle, now the bottom like the bolts screw in that hold the wheels on.

tractor109.jpg

This started life as an A-800. Yes the picture is doctored at the top, Its a buddies buisness card for his mobile small engine repair service. Didn't figure he would want too many call without warning :P

My wife is great about spotting horses and older large Deeres. I get flack about bringing more home though. Even if its one she found. I'm so confused :D

Michcruiser60

I'm the new guy again, Maybe some one on here can answer this What year or years did WH have wide white wall made? I've narrowed it down to the late sixtys But was it a one year thing? I have a set all have Wheel horse on them and they are not painted they are the real deal. I have a couple of photos if I can figure out how to post them. Thanks Kelly in MI

Kelly, we got way off topic here. Sorry, I may helped there myself. But you gotta admit with your rims and tires it would look pretty kool as a rat rod.

I can't help with the time or if Wheel Hosre had tires made with white walls but I do know that when WH did have tires made they seem to always have their name on the tires sidewall. I have a pair of Riverside tires that was on my old Wards Squire tractor. On those tires Wards has their name on the sidewall also.

Mich60

CasualObserver

wow you guys have been chatty this morning... Kelly... $25 makes that the most awesome score I've seen in a while! I did notice though... you say it's a Charger and I see the controls for such..... but that hood looks like it used to belong on a Raider.

Oh, and what are you guys talking about with tread dating tires? My 68 color catalog has a couple of different tread patterns all in the same year and same tire size?

Kelly

Jason, When I bought it it had no hood so for the photos I put a hood that I had in the barn on it and the hubcaps. I wanted it to look like a tractor for the photos and I like those hubcaps I have 6 sets of the early ones and 3 sets of the later ones. Kelly in MI

CasualObserver

Ah... yeah, I agree tractors look better with the hoods! I like those hubcaps... I had a set once (that style) but unfortunately... needed some money and well... those were the smallest high dollar item I could do without! May try to find another set someday... but who knows.

Thanks for the pictures... of the whitewalls... i can see the "Wheel Horse" imprint across from the Turf Saver one. In the only other picture of whitewalls I've seen, I think they were 6-12 turf saver tires... so that might mean they made them for at least two years? Don't quote me, I don't know... but it could be possible.

ps... would you email me a higher resolution of those pics? my email is my username at gmail.com Thanks!

TT

Oh, and what are you guys talking about with tread dating tires? My 68 color catalog has a couple of different tread patterns all in the same year and same tire size?

It wasn't necessarily "tread dating" as it was comparing two different years of the same model. Removing 10 lug bolts and installing a different pair of tires would blow this theory completely, of course. :P Another example is my two 1963 tractors: the 633 has completely different makes of tires than my 753, both front and rear. :D

I'm sure Wheel Horse did like the other manufacturers and used the tires they could buy for the lowest price. When they ran out of one brand, they grabbed the next ones in the warehouse.

I've noticed that Carlisle seemed to be the company that made quite a few of the different "manufacturer branded" tires for the industry.

Curmudgeon

You know, this is off the original topic of the thread, but it was mentioned.

I can see flipping the older axles where the spindles are perfectly vertical. But most tractors have a bunch of camber in the axle ends. Wouldn't this make for very interesting steering geometry if flipped over?

Dale, done with 11 work day, after 2 hours sleep......

TT

I know a guy that's putting a round hood puller together with a flipped axle. I guess it's like a dragster as far as steering goes. (just enough control to keep it on the track) :P

I'm sure they would be dangerous at higher speeds though! :D

Anyhow, he's doing a 633 with a flipped axle and a slightly reworked "flat pan" K-241.

Here's what he had as of last February:

09d697cb.jpg

There's also a 552 here (my son's) that has a 551 front axle and spindles under it. We put a pair of 6" 312A front tires on it and 23X10.50-12 turfies on the back, but I don't have a good picture of it.

BPjunk

Wheel Horse had Carlise make their tires for them and had made a few sets of 16 x 5.50-8 , 8.50 x 12, 6 x 12 and 4.00-8 tires with a white wall and I believe the tires were for a test market.

As for the "Rat Rod" Wheel Horse .... I need two tractors one completely restored to factory specs with the white wall tires AND the other would be like a 654 or 854 in flat black primer, cheap pin stripes, chrome stack and "Lady Luck" painted where the wheel and horse logo decal would be on the front of the sides of the hood. :P

Also in the mid 60's Carlise made for Wheel Horse some 6 x 12 AG tires with "Wheel Horse" in raised letters on the side wall. I have seen "5" of the 6 x 12 Ag tires with Wheel Horse on the side walls ...... I own one of them ... ifn's anybody knows of another for sale and wants to take his wife out for a steak dinner ..... jus' let me know! :D

Bill in Richmond, Va.

wheelhorsepuller

I like the rat rod look...

And since most of them have a K-series engine, we got the flatehead thing already going for us... a zoomie pipe would be pretty cool..

I love the white walls... and now I know i want a set of hub caps... what sizes where available for the hub cap?

combatmp29r

They made 10" and 6" like you would need for your puller, they also made 8" and 12" ones. The 10" ones are pretty hard to find I believe. I've only seen a few sets of them in the 12 years I've been collecting horses.

wheelhorsepuller

Do they just pop on?...

combatmp29r

All the ones I've owned or seen have. Now that doesn't mean there arent any that don't though. I definately haven't seen it all yet :D