hbrooks49

Basic question on PTO

hbrooks49

I feel a little silly because all the threads I could find assume that the PTO is already removed and state that it is "easy". That's a good thing but how do I remove the PTO (bell, I think). The snap ring broke and it is chewed up a bit but I have a good used one I want to replace it with.

Thanks,

gwest_ca

If you have a horizontal crankshaft release the hoop from the pto as if you were wanting to change a drive belt. Remove 2 bolts from the pto brake pad that runs on the side of the pto bell. Now the bell will just pull off.

Take a good look at the snap ring. They are punched out so one side has rounded edges and the other side has sharp edges. You want the sharp edge out in this case as it holds better in the groove.

Add a smear of grease to the large needle bearing in the bell. Work it into the rollers and don't leave any extra as it could come out and spoil the clutch face. Put the hoop back together and apply the pto clutch so it is tight. Put the brake pad back on with a business card between it and the pto bell. Push the pad and card hard against the bell and tighten the bolts. That gives you the required space once you remove the card.

Garry

• Like 2

varosd

also here is the PTO bell breakdown. you may or may not have part #41

pto.jpg

boovuc

If you don't have one already, you'll need to buy, beg or borrow, (I deliberately left out steal), a snap ring pliers.

post-940-0-73711100-1423398720.jpg

hbrooks49

Thank you very much - I now understand why that step is left out of most threads ......I was thinking it might be like the rear hubs, very happy that it is not.