fatboycowen

518xi - use vs abuse - are they as tough as they seem?

fatboycowen

I got my first wheel horse this summer. A 518xi with 500 hours. I'm now up to around 525 or so hours. The summer, with mowing and pulling a small trailer, i was nice and easy on it. I also used it to move lots of firewood, split and unsplit.

I put the plow on and rubber chains, mainly thinking it would just be for very light snow, and mainly for fun. But, it really is very useful. I use it constantly. Nothing scrapes the driveway better. On the big storms, i use it after the snow blower, to clean up the remaining mess.

I keep pushing it harder and harder. It seems tough as nails.

Question is, what's the limit?

Lately i've been using high gear, since i can build up much more speed to hit the snow piles with, and reverse isn't mega slow like 1st gear. Any problem with that? I felt bad at first, but it seems to be working out fine.

What about impacting snow banks with the plow? Anything to be worried about?

A few times, i hit obstructions that stopped the tractor dead, and tossed me into the wheel a bit. Plow is holding up fine. But can the frame take this?

Every time i run the thing, i get more and more impressed. But, i'm worried that i might be abusing it.

I've been trying to give it at least a few minutes to warm up. It's bitter cold out, and stays in my 40 degree garage. How much warmup is needed before i start plowing? The transmission and plow lift don't seem to care about the temp. It's never sluggish.

One more question, unrelated. Is the hydraulic lift supposed to make the high pitch squeel mine does? It's done that since i've had it, and works fine.

Forest Road

Sounds like you're playing games. When are you going to really start using it?

I have a 522xi with a factory loader. It has approx 1100 hours. In the 3 years I've owned it maybe I put 50 hours on it. It was traded into a dealer where I picked her up. Every nut and bolt was loose. It wouldn't get anywhere near top speed. The steering linkage was a mess. The loader hardly picked itself up, forget about trying to put a load in the bucket. The dealer also had a mower deck 2 stage snow blower, snow plow, & cab. All of that equipment looked like it had been abused as well. I left all of the equipment there and brought her home.

I saw it for the diamond in the rough that it is. It seemed to do everything it should just very poorly. Several hours with some wrenches and loctite turned out to be a solid investment. Adjudted the loader valves too. Today she reached top speed, loader & extra weights add 600-700 lbs + driver @ 260lbs. She easily moves just about any load I can get in the bucket.

As much as I adore our original lil red tractors they don't hold a candle to the Xi series.

Back to your original question concerning a "limit." Just when you think you've maxed her out PUSH HER A LITTLE HARDER.

Heres a simple test. If your really bored one day.... Hook her up to a full size pickup truck, like my F150 crew, and tow the truck up hill with your Xi.

Almost forgot about the squeezing sound from your lift. It's just to remind you that it's there. They all seem to do that, even my 314h.

• Like 1

Tim

generally speaking the tires will spin when plowing snow way before you start doing damage to the rearend

as far as stopping dead in your tracks, it doesn't put stress on the frame as much as the rear end.

the rear is cast and you could and people have cracked it.  does not happen often

the only stress on the frame is where the frame bolts to the rear end

it was common on the old c series to have stress cracking there

the newer c series tractor had thicker plates there to prevent it.  i would assume the 5xi series would have the thicker plate too.

fatboycowen

Good info. Thank you. I'm going to continue to avoid the really hard hits. The ones that have happened surprised me. One especially, where i wasnt near a snow bank or anything. Not sure what i hit, but the tractor stopped dead.

I'm happy to hear that the transmission can take the abuse. Is there anything you shouldn't do to them?

This thing would be really great with a limited slip.

bmsgaffer

generally speaking the tires will spin when plowing snow way before you start doing damage to the rearend

as far as stopping dead in your tracks, it doesn't put stress on the frame as much as the rear end.

the rear is cast and you could and people have cracked it. does not happen often

the only stress on the frame is where the frame bolts to the rear end

it was common on the old c series to have stress cracking there

the newer c series tractor had thicker plates there to prevent it. i would assume the 5xi series would have the thicker plate too.

The XI has steel frame rails instead of a cast plate i believe...

As long as they are surprises (and you dont do it constantly) the sudden stops will hurt you far more than the tractor

I'm happy to hear that the transmission can take the abuse. Is there anything you shouldn't do to them?

This thing would be really great with a limited slip.

You shouldn't neglect maintenance, and you shouldn't let it collect dust :handgestures-thumbupright:

In my mind, limited slip/locking diff is the one major thing that wheel horse missed the ball majorly on. You can load up the rear end with weight and that gets you ALMOST to the point that you wouldn't know it didnt have it (there is still an occasion where it would be nice)

Also on ice, metal chains would be necessary for highest traction, the rubber chains wont do much better than an AG tire, but you sacrifice scratching the driveway...

Edited by bmsgaffer

fatboycowen

OK, should I avoid charging snow banks to push them back? These aren't quite dead stops and don't toss me.

The only times I'm stuck is when ice is under the snow. One wheel just spins so easily.

I'm probably stupid, but the best way to get it unstuck is to get off, use my hand on the foot control while pushing.

Rick_in_CT

Pushing snow banks back is no problem as long as they are not frozen solid, and stop you like your hitting a wall.  I can stack snow quite high with the 522xi.  As I plow into the bank I raise the plow at the same time to push the bank up higher.

Do you have wheel weights on in addition to the rubber chains?  If you don't, wheel weights and two link steel chains make the 5xi a monster in the snow and ice.  I have been using 5xi's with a snow blower and plow for the past 10 years to clear a 550 foot driveway and never got it stuck.  I have both weights and chains for this tractor listed on the classified page if your interested. 

Rick

• Like 1

shallowwatersailor

The 518xi and 520xi normally have a hydraulic whine when operating.This is mentioned in the manual and explained by the fact that they do not have the additional power steering circuit. It is better to use the Low Range when plowing rather than what you are doing - even if you feel that it is too slow in reverse. On page 18 of the manual it states: Use Low for best mowing performance and smoothest operation with all attachments. Use High for transporting or where conditions permit higher speed. You will eventually burn the transmission out, even in winter, by abusing it. Next time you use it for plowing and are finished, feel the transmission case for how hot it has gotten. If you feel that reverse is too slow, change into High to reverse. I do six different driveways when it snows. Some are on an incline and I have found that slow and steady, even with out chains but with weights, I can still climb while pushing snow. This also allows you to monitor the surface if you do start to slip. I have never needed to get off of the 5xi. I have on the C-105.

The 5xi snow blade attaches at the rear on the rear axle housing. You should have the trip springs in the second hole from the top. The first thing that will probably bend or break by over-extending the capability of the tractor will be the mounting bracket. Continued abuse may see the housing crack. I have heard of the tangs for the hitch breaking so it could be possible. The Hydro Trans Axle is actually bolted to the bottom of the frame and does not depend on the casing like the monocoque design of the classic Wheel Horse. You may care to check the torque on the mounting bolts to the chassis, and your Rear-A-Tachamatic.

bmsgaffer

You will eventually burn the transmission out, even in winter, by abusing it. Next time you use it for plowing and are finished, feel the transmission case for how hot it has gotten. If you feel that reverse is too slow, change into High to reverse. I do six different driveways when it snows. Some are on an incline and I have found that slow and steady, even with out chains but with weights, I can still climb while pushing snow. This also allows you to monitor the surface if you do start to slip. I have never needed to get off of the 5xi. I have on the C-105.

I disagree, he's not abusing it. You wont burn out the eaton pushing snow in high gear... All of the eatons up until the XI series ONLY had "high gear". Pushing snow/dirt is harder on it than mowing, but they were designed for that. There are MANY 30+ year old hydros still going strong.

I DO agree though, that if you have the traction (weights and chains) that slow and steady is the more effective in most conditions... There are plenty of times i've had to just get some momentum behind it and I am just careful to make sure I'm not going to 'hit a wall' with it.

If you feel the case it will be hot, the eaton manual states that operating temps can and should be up around 180*F. If you are getting hotter than that, then it is an issue, but I doubt you are.

Edited by bmsgaffer
  • Like 2

Forest Road

You'll get a feel for times when you need low range. On a long driveway I'd probably plow in high. Shaping up snow banks and such I might op for low. You'll get to know the machine. Don't worry about breaking it. They really take a lickin and rarely stop ticking!

ericj

i know somebody that sold an xi series tractor with a loader on it and the guy was using it in high range and broke something not sure what but they had to split the trans to fix it but it was fixable. of course if you had to pay a dealer to fix it it would probably would be cost prohibitive . just be careful with low and high range useage.

eric j 

shallowwatersailor

My thoughts are related to what was said in the original post. Reading the post, building speed and ramming to a sudden stop is rough on machinery. That is when things have a tendency to break. I don't care to find that out with any of my three 5xi. This not to say I baby mine either.

Regarding the Eaton 1100, they have had failures. The manual for the WH 520-H says that it should warm up (circulate the oil) for five minutes before use when it is cold outside. Granted there isn't a clutch pack like an automotive automatic transmission. But heat does cause wear. Refilling with a synthetic oil should improve the longevity, providing it didn't see abuse by the PO.

The 520xi that I own did have the Hydro Trans Axle fail for the PO. The dealer that repaired it (and whom I bought it from) related to me the story about the difficulty they had with the repair. He offhandedly mentioned another 5xi that had needed repair. This dealer was (is by still carrying parts and about 40 tractors in various states sitting in the yard) a high volume dealer that sold many a 5xi including a number of the rare diesel version. I would rate them as being very familiar with the product.

Edited by shallowwatersailor

JackC

I bought a 520Lxi that according to the seller appeared to have a bad transmission.   It came with a plow, 60 inch deck and a 2 stage snow blower. I bought it because I believed the Eaton transmissions in those are nearly bullet proof and the transmission was probably fine.  I suspected a linkage problem rather than a bad transmission.  If I was wrong I would at least have a parts machine for my other 520Lxi and several additional attachments.

After some trouble shooting I discover that the bolts holding the transmission to the frame had sheared.  That allowed the transmission to twist enough to allow the rotating drive shaft coupling to rub the frame and producing a noise that sounded like grinding gears in the transmission.  As I suspected, the Eaton transmission was fine.  I just need to use an easy out to remove the ends of the bolts still in the transmission mounting holes and replace them.  

So how did the bolts get sheared?  The back end of the plow attaches to a bracket that attaches to the transmission.  If you really push it, you may be able to jar the transmission enough to loosen and shear the bolts that attach the transmission to the frame. Another possibility is the bolts sheared when the very heavy two stage blower was attached and perhaps the operator was a bit rough with it.

It is also possible that the bolts just loosened up over time and that made it easier for them to shear under normal impacts compared to if the bolts were properly secured.  

After seeing a situation like that I would recommend checking all the fasteners at least once a year and especially the transmission to frame mounting bolts.  If you plow a lot the transmission mounting bolts should definitely be checked at least once per year.

• Like 1

Foozerush

Meh.... I beat the crap out of my 416-8 plowing snow these past 2 winters.... I'm not worried, haven't broke nothing yet, and 3 hi ramming speed to push the pile an extra foot back is fun!! Besides I'm an hour south of Kelly for parts and less an hour from Mike Biser for tranny parts, best of both worlds for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

boovuc

Constant collisions with snow banks will catch up to any machine after awhile. Mostly knocking things loose! If you tighten things up during and after winter, maybe not so bad. Just remember the steering takes a shot from your own body's inertia with every sudden stop or hit. Make sure your battery is held down nice and tight too! 

I think it was Newton that stated "objects in motion tend to stay in motion". It isn't good for it and over time, it will hurt it verses if you didn't constantly slam into snow banks.

Issac Newton................Fig Newtons......................Fig Newtons with a rum and coke! I wonder how those two would go together?   Whoops!  Lost my train of thought. Doctors said it was from constant deceleration from slamming my tractors into snowbanks!

• Like 4