C-101

Kohler K241 crankshaft

C-101

Hi fellow members,

I am reaching out in regards to a engine problem on my 1975 C-101.  I am in need of a new crankshaft P/N 47-142-02-S for my Kohler 10HP K241 engine.  I have looked on EBay and cant seem to find a whole lot of good used ones.  I have researched for new ones and they can cost a pretty penny.  Does anyone know of any websites where I might find a reasonable priced crankshaft? Or does any one have one for sale? It seems like my only other option is to get a new engine which seems to be harder to find then a crankshaft!  ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPERICATED!!! Thank you.

rmaynard

Considering the outlandish price for a new one, a good used one seems to be your only option. On eBay there are several. You can always depend on used products from Joe's Outdoor Power. He is a member and vendor here. He currently has one that mic'd at 1.4995. You can have it turned to .010 under if necessary and still be ahead of the game compared to new.

groundhog47

:text-welcomewave: to :rs: I would keep checking ebay as have seen dozens over past two years from <$75 to $100. This link included tells how you cah use a 12hp crank and I believe a M-10 crank if I read correctly. I may have misinterpreted the K to M cross exchange of some internals.  I got one a couple years back. If you want to complicate it a bit the site I'll add in here tells how to take a K-301 crank and use in a K-241: http://gardentractorpullingtips.com/engine.htm. Look down near end at "GREEN" bordered modification. It says you use 10hp piston and block with 12hp rod and crank

From link:

K241/M10 (10hp) block.

• K241/M10 (10hp) piston/rings assembly.
  • Stock K301/M12 (12hp), K321/M14 (14hp), K341/M16 (16hp) connecting rod, a K361 (18hp OHV) ALCOA rod, or a 5.7" billet rod with a 1.500" plain aluminum journal hole.
  • K301/M12 (12hp), K321/M14 (14hp), K341/M16 (16hp) or a K361 (18hp OHV) engine crankshaft.

This combination of parts will create a 27 cubic inch engine, a hybrid model K271, or a "stroker 10hp engine." With a STD size [10hp] piston, this engine will have a 3.250" bore and 3.250" stroke, resulting in a 26.96 cubic inch displacement engine. For strength and durability, especially if it's built to the max, it's best to use a model K241 (10hp) block with K301 k301.gif embossed on the PTO end, like the one pictured above È. These particular blocks have an extra thick cylinder wall.

Edited by groundhog47
  • Like 1

oldredrider

I've got a GOOD K 301 (12hp) short block cradle motor. PM me if interested.

ericj

i have a decent used short block for sale pm me if interested

eric j

post-4375-0-48788400-1423180195_thumb.jp

post-4375-0-93888400-1423180229_thumb.jp

post-4375-0-44633800-1423180254_thumb.jp

wheel-mule

I think I have 3 of those cranks.I will look and see if your interested $50 plus shipping.

bartl

Make sure you get the RIGHT crank.  Just because it came out of a K241 and has the right sized PTO end doesn't mean it will fit.  I was at a loss for a crank and got one that WAS originally from a K241 on a WH tractor but when I went to put the flywheel on it the flywheel hit the bearing plate without being near tight.  Turned out the flywheel end was 1/2" shorter BEFORE the taper.  I ended up turning 1/2" off the back side of the flywheel and adding 1/2" spacers to the fan side to correctly align the starter/generator pulley.  I'm thinking the flywheel I got was from a later application with a geared starter.