prondzy

New toy for my toys

prondzy

Being a younger man, a couple years before 30 I didn't grow up with these older tractors and systems. I have been enjoying learning about how these old starter/generators work on our beloved horses. After venturing through my first teardown (cleaning commutator and new brushes/ bearings) things seem a little simpler and my want to further check these things out before putting them back to service enticed me to buy this little gem.

post-8362-0-63229800-1423099198_thumb.jp

I know there are ways of checking armatures out with multi-meters, but there is something about preserving these old tractors, along with the technology and nostalgia of these old tools.  I have re-wired the whole unit (except for the transformer), and turned it on for the first time today and she worked! just thought I'd share.

• Like 5

Live4outdoors

That is really neat, being an electrician I love and enjoy these old gems and sometimes get blessed rewiring them for customers, but never got to see one of these! I think it's even better you use it!

• Like 1

prondzy

I am currently going to school to be a mechanic. I am fortunate enough that my instructors grew up with these generators and growlers and are willing to spend some extra time teaching me more about them.

• Like 1

953 nut

:text-thankyouyellow:   I grew up on a farm and remember using one of these to check out starters and generators over 50 years ago, thanks for putting a smile on my face. We also had a commutator cutting lathe, very cool. :text-coolphotos: Each farm in the area had a few specialty tools and we would do one another's work without any money changing hands.  :text-goodpost:  

• Like 2

RedRanger

So how does it work and why is it named the "Growler"?

squonk

It GROWLS!!!!!  :)

• Like 2

prondzy

Here is a short video of how a growler works. This machine is used for finding shorts and opens in electric armatures. It is called a growler because of the noise it makes when turned on.

Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXQ0heuV6VE

rmaynard

Interesting videos.