Old Ways

Anyone ever slap a plow behind a mid-engine?

Old Ways

Just curious as to whether or not anyone has ever gotten the chance to slap a plow behind an RJ or Suburban, and take it for a test. I'd like to try it myself at some point, but I feel I'd only be comfortable doing it on a 551. (Not a big fan of the 3-piece transaxles.)

If anyone has pics or a video, that would certainly be neat. I just know the main factor you have going against you is weight --especially on the front end. Ground clearance, I wouldn't be as worried about due to the fact that they technically have the same ground clearance as any other later model tractor, I'd think --but completely along the frame, instead of just at the transmission.

Now, I know they can plow --as that's one of the things they were marketed to do-- but I feel it may surprise me how well it could do. Especially with one of the small slot-hitch plows.

Thanks!

:)

formariz

Used my 551(Old Milly) for years in my very steep driveway sucessfully. As it is on photos it had a 55lb weight on front, another 55lb weight on back and 25lbs on each rear wheel along with the 212lbs on the seat of course. No problem whatsoever pushing 10" of snow in first gear up steep driveway. Not the most convenient set up mainly the left/right plow adjusting, but it works.

post-484-0-06307800-1423066774.jpg

post-484-0-74582100-1423066781.jpg

post-484-0-45047800-1423066787.jpg

post-484-0-58035700-1423066794.jpg

• Like 4

Racinbob

When you say behind I'm assuming a moldboard plow. My Dad did with a Suburban 400 back in the early 60's. The biggest problem was keeping the front end down but the little tractor did pretty well. It helped that the soil was light. He also used a snow blade on it. I really wouldn't worry about the 3-piece transmissions. The 2-piece case itself might be somewhat stronger but there's little difference in the internals. :)

• Like 1

Racinbob

You can read about the Spaniards being unhappy with the RJ's because they were breaking front axles They had them "bucking, jumping and rearing up" as they plowed 10 acres of hard packed clay. That brought about the cast Suburban axles.

• Like 2

formariz

Oops! Sorry but due to present conditions around here when I read the word plow only one type comes to mind.

• Like 2

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Super plow pics. Enjoyed that.

Glenn

formariz

No pictures but I actually have a little experience with a moldboard plow on the same tractor . I got a Brinly years back for it not that I intended to really use it but just to play around with . Tried it in the back of property and it worked pretty good. Outstanding issue is definitely weight in the front specially if your ground is tough. I can tell you that the 55lb weight is definitely not enough .

As Racinbob said the front axle should not be a problem. However one place i would check is the plate connecting the frame to the transmission. It is prone to cracking. Mine gas developed such cracks over the years just from the heavy duty snow plowing and general use around property mowing and hauling stuff.

She is retired now, just sits there parked next to Kenny (Electro 12) and when door opens probably wispers to herself " Good let the youngster do all the work, I did my share".

Edited by formariz
  • Like 2

Old Ways

Thanks for all of the stories and such, guys!