stevebo

Best way to remove broken shifter set screw in 702?

stevebo

Guys-

While my son was plowing with the 702 the other day the shifter got stuck in reverse. When I got it "backed" into the garage I checked the shifter pin and found that the shifter set screw broke off flush with the hole. Now I cannot get it out. What do you think is the easiest way to get at it? I figure I either need to pull the rear end or dash tower. Thoughts ??

rmaynard

Less parts to remove if you pull the transmission, and it will be easier to work on. Either way, it's a pain in the rear, no pun intended.

Edited by rmaynard
  • Like 3

VinsRJ

Is there a burr on the inside of the screw keeping it from backing out? Could you screw it all the way in and carefully pull the remaining screw up and out of the shifter hole?

stevebo

It broke off flush in the hole. I have no way to get at it. I cannot even get a pair of needle nose pliers on it to try and turn it. :banghead:  I think Bob is right...

• Like 1

VinsRJ

Did you try using a metric allen wrench to jam it into the head of the screw?

racinfool40

Once you can get at it. I use a dremel tool with a small cut off wheel and cut a slot in the broken dog point set screw and then back them out with a small screw driver.

• Like 5

JC 1965

Once you can get at it. I use a dremel tool with a small cut off wheel and cut a slot in the broken dog point set screw and then back them out with a small screw driver.

I also used this method on my C-121. I used a very small diamond wheel in my Dremel tool. It was a bear though and it took probably 2 hours. Not much room in there. Hope this helps.

rmaynard

If the set screw broke off flush with the surface, and the shifter is still in place, there is nothing you can do short of removing the transmission and drilling it out. There is not enough room to get a standard Allen wrench into that area let alone a Dremel, drill, or any other tool. Trust me, I tried lots of things on my 701 without success. 

Edited by rmaynard
  • Like 1

ri702bill

Steve:

With the shifter still in place,to apply pressure to the broken screw from the inside, you may try using either a 5/32 or 3/16 LEFT HANDED drill bit. Napa sells them. Drilling it will heat it up, the pressure applied to the handle towards the screw helps back it out.

One other method I use for stripped ot hex on Button head screws - use a sharp pointed punch at an angle as far away from center as possible in the CCW direction - may help "walk" it out far enoufg to get pliers on it.

rmaynard

Here's my problem with left handed drill bits, easy-outs, etc.. If the screw or bolt is corroded or rusted so tight that it breaks off just trying to unscrew it normally, how is something that doesn't have near the grip of the original head or Allen socket going to do any better getting it out? It might just be me, but I have never had any success with easy-outs and end up breaking them before I ultimately drill the screw or bolt out

KC9KAS

I agreee on using the left hand twist drill bit.

If it grabs and screws out a little, that is a bonus...If not, you needed a hole for an easy-out.

I too have had problems with easy-outs, but often that is the only route.

Wishin4a416

I know you don't want to hear this Steve but I had to drill mine out and with a Cobalt bit. A regular bit wouldn't touch mine.

post-8484-0-32902500-1423091060.jpg

• Like 2

stevebo

Getting the broken set screw out will be easy as it is loose but I think I agree with Bob that the rear end needs to come out to get to it. I have no time for anything other than working and coaching these days.....

gwest_ca

I wonder if a 1/8" or 1/4" diameter magnet would coax it out. They even make rod magnets now which are even stronger.

Garry

Rick_in_CT

Don't know what the clearance issues are around this model, but what has occasionally worked in the past for a broken off screw that is loose, is to get an undersized screw and put a drop of a high quality instant glue/super glue on the tip and insert it to make contact with the broken screw.  Give it a chance to cure then try backing it out by hand.  This actually worked for me twice on a transmission mount bolt in a Chevy pickup that kept breaking.

Rick

• Like 1

rmaynard

In an ideal world, some of those ideas might work, but only if the screw is loose enough to turn. But the reason it broke is because it is frozen by rust. And the area that Steve has to work with is this.

post-2221-0-49145400-1423137832_thumb.jp

The only solution in my opinion is to remove the transmission, then drill or whatever on the bench. The area is just too tight to get anything into.

Edited by rmaynard
  • Like 1