wheelhorsekid

Anyone Clear Coat Their Tractor to Keep the Patina?

wheelhorsekid

I just got a C-160 added to the stable and love the patina it has. However, I want to slow the aging process. My questions is has anyone simply clear coated their horse? Would love to hear about it and see some pics.

JimD

I'm sure it's been done. There are some members here that use different products to keep the patina and accent the age feature of their machines. Some use WD 40 and some use motor oil to preserve them. Check out the photo gallery and search some other threads for more info. Our Moderator Stevebo is a fan of the oil. Maybe he will post some pics for you and share his thoughts. :)

slammer302

I scrub them down with sos pads then wipe down with 10w-30611a082789f007cc64ffb34c52d117aa.jpg

neil

The best thing that I have used is extra virgin olive oil , it gives a wonderful satin lustre and only costs a few dollars.

• Like 1

Old Ways

Going to be keeping an eye on this thread... Big fan of original tractors. I've always just used 5w-30, an old rag, and some elbow grease.

AMC RULES

I think Zeek clear coated his 552, turned out awesome too. 

I'm sure, images are in his gallery.    :handgestures-thumbsup: 

• Like 1

Hodge71

I'm a huge fan of the ultrafine scotch brite pads and WD-40. I have used it on Jeb's Charger 12 which we affectionately call "Ole Rustbucket" Usually once its done I can get through 2 or 3 snowstorms before it shows streaks. Its crusty yet original

JackC

WD=40 and very fine steel wool if necessary.  Try it on a small area first.

Agage1

I've cleared several of my workers, I power wash em sand em a little with a fine grit to smooth it out and get the loose stuff off. Then I've sprayed clear coat lacquer through my hvlp and I've been very happy with the results.

fourwheels0
  • post-4645-0-74798100-1423110487_thumb.jpI've used used motor oil before. just scrub everything down real good to get any big chunks and loose stuff off then went over every square inch.after that rub it down with a clean dry cloth.
Edited by fourwheels0

slammer302

Looks good fourwheels091a5ae5eeaaff38428321f567b6ba0a3.jpg

stevebo

I'm sure it's been done. There are some members here that use different products to keep the patina and accent the age feature of their machines. Some use WD 40 and some use motor oil to preserve them. Check out the photo gallery and search some other threads for more info. Our Moderator Stevebo is a fan of the oil. Maybe he will post some pics for you and share his thoughts. :)

Here are a few examples....

post-734-0-00409400-1423112567_thumb.jpg

post-734-0-20300900-1423112578.jpg

post-734-0-81439900-1423112683.jpg

post-734-0-40927200-1423112717_thumb.jpg

post-734-0-42586800-1423112791_thumb.jpg

post-734-0-09787600-1423112839_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

slammer302

Wow stevebo those are sum great looking machines

Old Ways

I agree --dang, those are some beautiful old original machines!

decksetter

I use wd40. Quick and easy. Motor oil probably works better, you have to rub it on. I've heard of people using diesel fuel too.

AMC RULES

Nothing but Mothers aluminum and mag polish on this one. 

post-3498-0-25479100-1423177246_thumb.jp

post-3498-0-79163800-1423177327_thumb.jp

post-3498-0-41532200-1423177344_thumb.jp

mowinman2

Stevebo, what do you use on yours?  Oil?  Rags?  I really like how they turn out.  Im a huge fan of original paint and patina.  Im hoping this will work out nicely on my newly acquired RJ-35

stevebo

I typically paint the rims with a brush using semi gloss rusto and it seems to give the look I want. I am not looking to make the rims too glossy but clean. I then use miller's tire paint and paint the tires. On the paint I have wet sanded and/or scotchbrite pads. I have used new motor oil, old motor oil, WD-40 and Marvil Mystery oil. I tend to like the mystery oil sprayed out of a bottle because I can get in into the areas I cannot reach with a rag. I can be dirty but I like the look.

• Like 3

Old Ways

I know it's not a horse, but this one is all-original '64. Just a few hours with a rag, some elbow grease, and 5w-30. Turned out beautifully, and sparkled in the sun. Could see your reflection in the hood and didn't leave much, if any, residue.

post-5149-0-89784900-1423193282_thumb.jp

Edited by Dane in PA

stevebo

She looks like she can push some snow with that weight out back.

• Like 1

Old Ways

She looks like she can push some snow with that weight out back.

Not to hijack the thread, but it also had wheel weights mounted inside the hubs. I estimate the machine's weight to be about 1300lbs in that configuration. It didn't have chains on it, and would push 6" of the wet-heavy stuff straight up that driveway --which is about 80' long and an incline of about 35 degrees. Can't say I miss it, though. Wasn't fun to work on --not that it really ever needed it. I prefer my small, nimble tractors.

• Like 1

55rj35jr

IMO the best way is to clean the tractor up remove dirt, grease and grime then I use marvel mystery oil on my originals I put it in a spray bottle lightly spray it on wipe off with a clean cloth it gives the patina a nice semi gloss finish with no nasty odor or oily residue it seems to penetrate the paint, when you wash tractor or if it gets wet the water beads up like if it were waxed. I personally would not clear coat the original patina.

• Like 1