Jtstraw

Gear shift lock

Jtstraw

Building a stock puller to get my feet wet with a wheel horse. Do you have to lock the shift lever on the wheel horse like I used to have to do on the Cubs? I have pulled Cubs for years, stk alt. and twins. Used to own a dyno the whole nine yards.

baerpath

I do lock mine in.  I use a S hook under the cover to hold the high low lever in high. And cut down a hinge to hold it in third;  Not much feels worse when your really hooked and it slips out of gear.

Jtstraw

I thought so, that is a good idea using the hinge. Thanks for the reply. I'm excited to get this belt drive competing against all the Cubs in our club! We run at 3850 rpm' s and based on my calculations with a stock 4" pulley I will be running 1mph faster than what a stock cub is in 2 nd gear.

baerpath

You'll get used to beating the cubs. We run 4000 stock classes upto  12.5hp and 4500 for all other stock classes

Edited by baerpath

cruisnblue48

You definitely need to lock it in gear. I used a hinge on my Wheel Horse puller to keep it in either 3rd or 2nd gear. Then when the hinge worked loose on a couple of pulls, I installed a barrel bolt to keep the hinge down.