rustykan

Battery Problems???

rustykan

Will a bad battery cause my C-120 to shut down? It will start easily with a little boost from a charger and I plowed for quite a while with no problems. Shut it down and went to restart and nothing. Put the charger on for a few seconds, started right up, but only ran for a few minutes and shut down. Did this a couple of times and the ammeter shows in the negative. Thanks in advance for your help.

ericj

yea a bad battery will do that and if the tractor is not charging right doesn't help

eric j

rustykan

yea a bad battery will do that and if the tractor is not charging right doesn't help

eric j

Is there any easy way to check the charging system or should I try a new battery first?

ericj

try charging the battery 1st and see if it will take a charge i usually put them on a 2 amp charge for a day or 2 and see if it will come back it should read 12.6 volts or more to be good then once it is charged check the tractor and you should read about 13 volts or more depending on the battery. maybe soi will chime in he's a lot better at it then me

eric j 

Racinbob

The first thing I would do is throw a charger on the battery. It may or may not be bad. Then make sure the main connections are good. Once you do that there are tests that you can do on the battery and charging system which I and many others here will be happy to walk you through. It kinda sounds like your charging system isn't working properly to me.

rustykan

I have charged the battery several times in the past month or so.  I have a trickle charge on it tonight and I will check it in the morning. I'll let you know what happens. Don't know the age of the battery, it isn't marked. All of the connections are new, as I just restored this and had everything apart.

slammer302

I think ur charging system on the tractor isn't working have the same problem on my b-80 I can charge the battery and use it for a while then it will not restart the next time for use unless I put it on the charger overnight

Racinbob

It does point towards the charging system. In the morning check the voltage at the battery with the engine off. Then fire her up and check it again. Post those readings and we can go from there. We'll try to keep this simple. :)

rustykan

It does point towards the charging system. In the morning check the voltage at the battery with the engine off. Then fire her up and check it again. Post those readings and we can go from there. We'll try to keep this simple. :)

I like simple!!!! You're talking my language!

WH nut

A neg charge indicates the charging system isn't working, It will run until the battery runs flat

rustykan

OK, here's what I got. About 13.5 volts after trickle charge all night. With engine running, just under 12 volts. What's the process for troubleshooting the charging system?

rustykan

I was just reading that it could possibly be a ground problem. Since everything is freshly painted, I'm wondering. How is this grounded?

WH nut

Do a search on charging problems, There must be 50 topics on here about it

Racinbob

:text-yeahthat: Rather than being redundant WHnut is right. SOI has some great threads on this as well as others. Your mind is in the right place by checking the grounding as well as all the connections.  You definitely aren't charging the battery. Work your way from the battery back until you find the problem. Obviously you already have a multimeter and it's your friend. Once you confirm that all the connections are good it would be time to troubleshoot the regulator. Don't let it intimidate you. It's really quite simple and you'll see that once you get things fixed up. :)

• Like 1

tunahead72

OK, here's what I got. About 13.5 volts after trickle charge all night...

Future reference...

Did you get 13.5 volts immediately after you took your battery off the charger? Batteries tend to read very high at that point, and start discharging right away. I like to let my batteries sit for an hour or so after they've been charged before I take a voltage reading, I think you get a more realistic idea of how strong the battery is that way.

I'm also a little surprised that a trickle charger would allow the voltage to get that high, but I'm not very knowledgeable about that technology.

In any event, I agree with the other guys who've posted that you probably have a charging problem. I can't help you with the diagnostics, but you're in good hands here.

• Like 1

rustykan

First stupid question: Which charging system do I have? I printed off the troubleshooting guides from the Kohler manual, but there are four or five different ones.

gwest_ca

You likely have the 15 amp system but the spec number off the engine decal would confirm which one you have. Post the tractor model number also off the ID plate.

Garry

rustykan

The engine model # is K301, spec # 47421d. The tractor numbers are 61-12K802-14344  and 6092.

gwest_ca

Your numbers all match and you have battery ignition with a 15 amp stator. Original voltage regulator is Wheel Horse # 101450.

The 14344 is the serial number.

The 6092 is the Julian build date - 92nd day of 1976.

Garry

rustykan

Thanks! As soon as it warms up a little, I will start some troubleshooting. What is the best way to make sure the regulator has a good ground? As I mentioned earlier, everything was freshly painted this summer and that might be the problem. I am assuming it gets it's ground through the mounting bolts.

gwest_ca

This 1977 wiring diagram should match what you have.

Star washers work well under bolts and nuts as the teeth will usually penetrate the paint layer or just sand off a small area so there is metal to metal contact. A smear of grease on the spot should keep future corrosion at bay.

You could check the voltage across the battery posts if you have a digital multimeter. Then move the negative test lead to the case of the regulator. Should have the same reading if the ground is OK. Try it again after you get it running as resistance can change after a load is put on the system.

Another test

Record the voltage across the battery posts with the key in the run position but the engine not running. Now move the red test lead to the Battery + terminal of the regulator. Should have the same reading and if not fix that. This checks the path the charge current takes to get to the battery. A regulator needs to see battery voltage before it can regulate the charge current.

Garry

JustinW.73

Ya sounds like a charging problem. You can test the whole charging system (stator, regulator, and wires) just simply by checking the battery before running, during and after. It should dit at least 12 volts, and when running be around 14.5 volts is a good charge, and when off it should be higher than the resting voltage before running. To test if the regulator if it has a good ground put it on the continuity test on the multi-meter. Hope this helps! :teasing-neener:

Save Old Iron

post-1689-0-41950000-1423040047_thumb.pn

• Like 3

Save Old Iron

post-1689-0-49910600-1423040173_thumb.gi

post-1689-0-92199700-1423040188_thumb.gi

• Like 3

rustykan

"Charging System Troubleshooting for Dummies", I love it! Thanks!