edwroy

93-416H

edwroy

Need some advice - I have a '93 416H. The transmission is sluggish - when cold takes time to move - also fairly noisy. Oil is clean and full. Thoughts?

Edwroy

varosd

very common for the Eaton 1100 hydro to be slow in the cold.  There are numerous old posts on this subject that you can search. 

If you have the owners manual or download from this website, it does address the operation of the hydro in cold weather.  key point.  let it warm up!

what kind of tranny filter is on it?

you need to make sure that it is a filter for hydro transmission.

did this occur in the warm weather?

Once it is all warmed up  are you finding that it is slowing down?  not a good sign

Pollack Pete

Change the filter lately? When was the trans oil changed? Most guys here seem to use Mobil 1 synthetic.10W 30 I believe.My 416H has to warm up before it will move too.I will change the fluid to Mobil 1 and filter before next Winter.My hydraulic lift is also sluggish until it warms up.

• Like 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Also, I myself would only use a factory filter. Period. Good luck.

Glenn

Theroundhousernr

Dido to everyones comments. My 416h lift is very sluggish when cold. Key here is to let it warm up for about five minutes. Tractor will thank you in the long run!

• Like 1

Forest Road

My 314h is pretty good when cold. Has 200ish hours. My 522xi loader, also an Eaton 1100, has 1100ish hours needs time to come to grips w Mother Nature. I let it run 1/2-3/4 throttle for 20 min. Even then it seems slow. After driving it for a bit she comes around and operates just fine.

Quite frankly I'm happy if they move at all in zero degree weather.

• Like 2

bmsgaffer

I don't use my auto's yet for cold weather work (in various states of modification), but when I do, I plan on running a magnetic block heater on the transmission. I run a 300 watt one on my truck oil pan all night if its below 20 out and she fires right up without the slightest hint of the usual cold oil valve tick.

200 Watt I will be using for the tractor: http://www.amazon.com/Kats-1153-Handi-Heat-Magnetic-Heater/dp/B000BOABS6

300 Watt for the truck: http://www.amazon.com/Kats-1160-300-Watt-Handi-Heat-Magnetic/dp/B000I8YOR4

If I could find something that would work for the engine block (finding a large enough surface to stick something too) I would be heating that too before a very cold weather start. Is it necessary? No. But it will definitely reduce the wear on a cold start and the hydro should be ready to go prewarmed.

• Like 1

Theroundhousernr

Don't they make a heated dipstick you could use on the motor?

bmsgaffer

Havent seen one short enough or flexible enough for this application.

Forest Road

Bmsgaffer save yourself some trouble. Synthetic oil, electric fuel pump, and a fully charged battery. Very fast starts every time.

No power where my horses are stored. $20 solar battery charger from Northern tool has been a blessing.

• Like 2

edwroy

Hi guys,

thanks for the suggestions. I have ordered a new OEM oil filter. Will pick up some Mobile 1 and give it a try. Will check out the heaters as well.

thanks

Edwroy

cheesegrader

I use Mobil 1 in the engines in the winter, and Amsoil in the transmission year round.

Seems to have stopped all the transmission warm-up issues.

That's how most of the local snowmobiles run, which is as harsh a test as I can think of.

I still have to allow for a long warm-up for the loader, which runs on hydraulic fluid.

I'm too cheap to spring for 5 gallons of synthetic to try to solve that problem!