Tristan Wilson

pros and cons of the wheel horse bronco 14

Tristan Wilson

hope to be getting a bronco 14 just would like to know the good and the bad about them if their is any thanks 

• Like 1

slammer302

I have a old bronco 14 down in the horse barn back when it was still in use I liked the hydraulic deck lift and the power of a 14hp Kohler the bad would be the sunstrand trans that's why its parked now and I can't remember if it had the attache O matic or not

• Like 1

daveoman1966

Mine is a 1972 Bronco 14 that I bought as new from a showroom floor in 1973. Next to the C-160, this is the best tractor Wheelhorse ever made....hands down IMHO. About 4 years ago, I had to replace the engine to trans drive belt...for the 1st time. In the course of doing that I also replaced the belt idler pulley and spring.

I have never had an issue with the Sundstrand Auto trans (90-2046) and I use this tractor almost daily during the summer. It has full hydraulic lift and an electric clutch that I installed a few years ago. I also upgraded to the Tach-o-Matic system by installing a mule drive in front instead of on the right side. The engine oil gets changed twice ...spring and fall, and the filter on the Sundstrand in the spring. I change the ATF on 2 or 3-year cycles.

These older machines have a lot of endurance and longevity. The key is periodic maintenance, cleaning (not car wash), and common-sense operation. I've never power-washed it...not even after rolling it over into a ditch. Suprisingly, after righting it, and a few minutes for the oil to settle, the engine started right up and I drove it away....to finish mowing the embankment at that ditch.

I love everything about this Bronco 14, except the 43-year old paint which is now faded to almost brown. I have 50 or more obstacles in my yard to mow around and the auto trans makes it a snap to wiggle back and forth to get around them, and back again. So much easier than clutching from gear to gear...fwd to rev... every time a bush, tree, rock, flower, pliers, or whatever gets in the way.

Over the years, I have rebuilt several of these Sundstrand power units and could probably service yours as well. My direct email is:

daveoman@windstream.net and you can contact me there if you'd want to pursue restoration of that old Bronco 14 in the barn.

• Like 2

slammer302

I would like to add that you shouldn't take my comment about the sunstrand being a bad trans just the one in my bronco 14 is bad but I have had good luck with them I have a charger 10 and electro 12 both have sunstrands and haven't gave me a problem

• Like 1

jimt1971

Plus they are the feature tractor at the Wheel Horse Collectors Show in PA this year.

• Like 1

Horse46

Is there a Euro version of the Bronco?

Tristan Wilson

her she is

post-6453-0-27073800-1422565363_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Theroundhousernr

What in the world is that belt running??? A super charger? :ychain:  All ready converted to attach-o-matic I see. Now you peeked my interest. Also see a sub frame of sorts mounted up. Hard to tell from the picture.

• Like 1

Tristan Wilson

is a add on governor the one in the engines broke yah me some one was trying to put a atv blade on it

bmsgaffer

is a add on governor the one in the engines broke

Never heard of such a thing... can you get more pictures of that?

• Like 1

Tristan Wilson

theirs the problem

post-6453-0-51843100-1422639588_thumb.jp

Tristan Wilson

here is the add on governor

post-6453-0-42192900-1422648155_thumb.jp

Ed Kennell

That's weird.  I think if the governor died and I didn't want to fix it, I would have bypassed the gov. and hooked the throttle direct to the carb.

At least I would have the PTO available to drive a mower or blower, and you could put the muffler back where it belongs.

Does the electric PTO work?

What is that bell shaped piece on the outside of the PTO?

Edited by ekennell

Tristan Wilson

its missing half of the pto

Cdl

Thinking about selling by 1971 bronco 14. And getting a c160 what do you think their worth it looks, starts, runs and mows as good as it did when it came out of the southbend ind. Factory no smoke all original am I making a mistake I've owned alto of wheelhorses's my favorite. Was my 856 but this bronco is great but I love the c160.i will ad picture. Of my bronco 14 when I figure. Out how lol