chipwitch

Black positive, red negative

chipwitch

I realize there's no universally accepted color code when it comes to wiring harnesses in vehicles, but I have to wonder why the D160 wiring diagram indicates a color code that is converse to every other vehicle I've ever seen (not that I've seen a lot).  Can anyone explain to me why Wheel Horse thought this was a good idea?  If they had used a positive ground system, I could at least make some sense of it that way.

Also, I'm probably going to rewire the entire harness.  How do most people handle this?  I'm inclined to swap the reds for blacks and vice versa.  Good idea?  Bad?  Thoughts?

• Like 2

bmsgaffer

I havent looked at the diagram that you refer too, but I would be in favor of switching it to modern accepted standards...

I haven't heard anyone else mention this, but to be honest I havent seen much in the way of D wiring either...

I am assuming there is an electrical problem that you are trying to fix... if its working I wouldn't bother, but if you are having to fix a lot of wires anyway then it would be worth your while.

chipwitch

Just got a new tractor and the wiring is in rough shape, in general.  It's not an overly complicated circuit.  Just frayed wires, loose ends and the like.  It would be nice to start fresh.

chipwitch

This is from the "B C D Service Manual."  It shows the C pretty much the same.  However, the B, though the colors aren't labeled as well, does show a red wire common to the positive battery lead at the solenoid.  So, doesn't even look like they were consistent in the same year!

chipwitch

Here's the link if anyone is interested wh_bcd.pdf

"D"- Man

I think I would use Red for the B+ battery to solenoid cable. The solenoid to ammeter wire is labeled Red in my 18 Automatic wiring diagram, then light green from there to the ignition switch B terminal.  I think when I rewire mine I will use Red here as well, Mark.

JackC

I personally would try to match the original configuration and conventions.  If you go to sell it, closer to original is usually better and the wiring will match the WH documentation if someone else needs to get into it.  Used wiring harnesses do come up from time to time on eBay or a member here may have one for sale. Joe's Outdoor Power may have a few. JMHO

Save Old Iron

If the battery cables are in decent shape, just slip a section of red heat shrink tubing over the battery terminals to provide a visual clue to which cable is positive and which is negative. A high ratio 3:1 or 4:1 shrink rate may be needed to slip the heatshrink over the terminals.

If the cables will be replaced, by all means use the red = positive color code for the replacement cable.

• Like 5

Save Old Iron

or in the case where you choose a one color harness to save big $$ on buying 8 separate spools of different color wire,

laser print some labels and use clear heat-shrink to label the wire ends by function

wireendlabeled.jpg

I can't say for sure how these held up - I sold that tractor a few years back.

Edited by Save Old Iron
  • Like 2

Digger 66

It would be nice to start fresh.

That's what you would do if I were me  :) .

• Like 1

chipwitch

@Savesoldiron... good idea on the shrink wrap.  Maybe even using Amazing Goop/Shoe Goo etc. instead of heat shrink

Edited by chipwitch

Save Old Iron

@Savesoldiron... good idea on the shrink wrap.  Maybe even using Amazing Goop/Shoe Goo etc. instead of heat shrink

or maybe even the 99 cent store version Not So Amazing Shoe Goop

but seriously, goop painted over with Toluene, makes a smooth, professional looking  rubber strain relief

• Like 1

Save Old Iron

CW,

from someone you might recognize on the "other site" 

• Like 1

chipwitch

Yep, that's where I got it!  ;-)

chesbaycruiser

CW,

from someone you might recognize on the "other site" 

I did not know that!  Very cool...thanks for posting.

Save Old Iron

I did not know that!  Very cool...thanks for posting.

great for weather proofing and turning the hard plastic feel of shift knobs into no slip grip feel

km3h

Question in my mind would be is this a positive ground circuit? I believe that Chrysler products had a positive ground setup back in the 1940s.

Hodge71

Question in my mind would be is this a positive ground circuit? I believe that Chrysler products had a positive ground setup back in the 1940s.

I think everything had a positive ground back in the 40's and 50's. I had a Ford 2n, 9n and 8n and all of them were positive ground 6  volt

chipwitch

No, it isn't a positive ground.  Diagram shows negative to ground, the wiring just happens to be red.