RJR49

lift tube problem on snow blower

RJR49

I have always had problems keeping the blower from breaking the pin holding the lift tube. I solved it on my 30" blower by using a split ring clamp (see attached). Unfortunately my C-160 Auto must be putting too much pressure, or the 42" blower is too heavy because the split ring clamp will not hold and the pins I've tried are too soft and the tube bends them to the point that it slips by. I'm thinking that maybe a split dowel, or maybe a split dowel inside a split dowel would work. Anyone have a different idea?

post-5686-0-76357800-1422384881_thumb.jp

post-5686-0-59518900-1422385183.jpg

TT

I've had my thrower on at least four different tractors - both manual and hydro lift and have never lost the lift tube.

I'd say that you've either got a tube length issue (doubtful - unless it's custom-made), the piece of flat bar on the end of the tube is not bent enough, the tube needs turned 180 degrees, or you aren't using a flat washer between the tube and the retaining clip/pin.

The lift tube on mine is held with a hitch pin clip and it's been the same clip for 12 or 15 years.

416snowcrew005.jpg

• Like 1

RJR49

Terry

Thanks for the reply.

The washer is probably the key. I have not been using one. I also discovered that there is a larger clip than I have been using. If it fits the hole this one should be strong enough not to bend. The length of the tube is interesting. The blower was not original equipment for my C-160. I mistakenly thought it was too long and cut off a couple of inches. When I realized the mistake I made a brass slug to take up the space on the flag. I wouldn't swear I have the length right but it's shorter if anything than original. Typically the clip fails as I start to lift the blower. So, I don't think length plays a role. The blower lifts high enough so I'm not worried about that. But I'm wondering why you think the length might be causing the problem. The bent end of the tube is in the correct position.

It usually waits until my driveway is done to fail. My neighbors hope I find the answer. 

Randy

TT

Without going out & measuring, I believe the hole through the lift tube mounting pin on the thrower wrapper is at least 1/8" when it's clean.

Use a solid hitch pin clip (a.k.a. "hairpin clip" or "R clip") that fits tightly in the hole and a strong flat washer between the tube and the clip and yours should be fine.

As far as lift tube length......  I don't know if it's possible to get one so long that it binds somewhere, but I would look it over at full lift to make sure it clears everything under the tractor.

gwest_ca

I don't know if they were all the same but the 1978 86-42ST01 uses these

Part # 920013 - 5/8" SAE flat washer

Part # 932034 - 3/16" x 1" cotter pin

Garry

• Like 1

skrusins

I use a flat washer and cotter pin on mine also.

boovuc

I use a cotter pin and washer on mine too. Mine held for years but I did lose it on Saturday. Taking into account that the blower isn't used much I need to revisit how I have mine attached. The only thing left on my blower were the mangled ends of the cotter pin. That wet snow was laying on the top of the blower and it was getting real heavy to lift when it finally dropped on it's own.

I know our local Amish owned hardware store has a huge selection of pins in all shapes, sizes and hardness varieties.

Thanks, Terry! 

dbartlett1958

The washer is important!

• Like 2

PaulC

This just happened to me today!! Got a foot of the white stuff plus deeper in drifts and about half way through I had no lift :eek:.

it was dark and still blowing and snowing so I just finished up without being able to lift the blower and will inspect later on today. Hoping I just lost the pin and washer but we will see.

wallfish

This just happened to me today!! Got a foot of the white stuff plus deeper in drifts and about half way through I had no lift :eek:.

it was dark and still blowing and snowing so I just finished up without being able to lift the blower and will inspect later on today. Hoping I just lost the pin and washer but we will see.

Good thing you didn't find any parts like the lift tube or the flag with the spinning auger of the blower! Could also be a sheared roll pin in the bell crank for the lift lever if no parts fell off..

PaulC

Good thing you didn't find any parts like the lift tube or the flag with the spinning auger of the blower!

Aint that the truth!!! Sucked up a big rock last year right after digging a trench to my garage for heat. Stopped it dead and tweaked the auger pretty bad. I was able to somewhat straighten that one and completely straightened another one that was even worse with a torch.

Could also be a sheared roll pin in the bell crank for the lift lever if no parts fell off..

I am pretty sure its where the tube attaches to the blower because it was still lifting about an inch when it first happened. Then when I made it back in the garage I noticed the blower was sitting off of the ground some played with the lift lever some more and the tube fell right off. Looking under the tractor it does seem like the linkage is moving properly.

WH nut

I broke the Bellcrank on mine last year. Started out not lifting as high as it should, then  pop and no lift. Found pieces in the drive. Thanks to Kelly I was up and running the next day. Mine had a 1/4 straight key on the shaft.