allensmall

310-8 doesn't really move when put in gear

allensmall

Not really sure how to describe what's going on but I was out snowblowing this morning and it stopped moving.  I had just finished making one pass and as I put the tractor in reverse to turn around and go back down the driveway it just stopped moving.  I thought maybe it was stuck in the snow so I kinda rocked back and forth a little but the rear wheels were not moving at all in either the forward or reverse direction.  After a few choice words I finally got it in the garage so I can work on it and if I put it in gear and kinda rock myself back and forth I can get the tractor to move maybe foot or two before it stops.  I've tried all gears with the same results.  Not really sure whats going on here,  My first thought was maybe the drive belt has become a bit worn out and is slipping and needs replacing but I wanted to check and see if anyone had any other ideas since I don't have a belt and I would really like to get it back up and running asap since we already have a foot of snow and its not showing any signs of slowing down.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

rmaynard

Sounds like the woodruff key on the transmission drive pulley has come out or sheared. Jack the back end up so the wheels are off the ground, start the engine. The pulley on the transmission should be turning, and the input shaft that it is mounted on should be turning with the pulley. If it is not, pull the pulley off and inspect the key.

• Like 2

Ed Kennell

And if the tranny drive pulley is OK, check the axle keys.

• Like 2

stevasaurus

If you can still shift it and it feels OK doing that, It almost has to be what was stated above.  :)

jrc0528

Do you have wheel weights installed?   If not get someone to watch the axle inside both hubs while you sit on it and put it in gear and try to move.  If either axle spins inside the hub replace the key.  I've sheared a couples keys over the years, first one left me scratching my head, the second one took about 30 seconds to figure out!

TT

Draw a line straight across the hub face and axle end.

If the key is sheared, the single long line will become three shorter lines.  ;)

• Like 1

allensmall

Ok, so I got the jack out of the SUV and jacked up the rear of the tractor.  When in reverse one tire sort of spins and then they both spin and then the other tire spins.  Same thing going forward.  I took a look at the pulley on the tranny and that seems ok.  Pulley and shaft both spin in both directions.  Then I got to looking at axle.  

post-13891-0-05084100-1422391928_thumb.j

post-13891-0-04494700-1422392108_thumb.j

post-13891-0-21383500-1422392190_thumb.j

post-13891-0-29178600-1422392293_thumb.j

So, if I'm looking at this right it seems like the hub on one side has slid down the axle and the key on the other side seems to be coming out.  Am I assessing this correctly?  How do I install the key?  Does anybody have any pictures they'd like to share?

KC9KAS

On the last photo....Remove the square headed bolt. If there are 2, remove both of them.

The "key" in the 2nd to last photo has to be in the keyway in the axle a little bit.

See if you can line up the bolt hole on the backside to the key on the front side. This will line the key-way up, and you should be able to lightly tap the outer end of the key back down and into the keyway in the hub. Pull the hub off and inspect for any damage other than the outer edge of the hub being rounded out a little.

Probably be best to use a new key when you put it back together.

Your 1st photo of the hub & axle are what both sides should look like.

• Like 1

rmaynard

The hub needs to pulled off. If I'm seeing what I think I'm seeing, you may have serious damage to the axle and/or hub. The keys are half-moon shaped and sit in a half-moon shaped slot that is about 3/16" shallower than the key, allowing it to stick up into a corresponding slot in the hub. Then the set screw is tightened onto the key holding the whole thing in place. The second set screw at 90 degrees to the main one is to help eliminate what has happened to you. 

• Like 1

jrc0528

The hub should be flush with the end of the axle.  My money says that your problem is that key sticking out is no longer engaging the hub!  That's a pretty dirty axle, is the seal leaking oil?  Oil getting into the hub can cause it to loosen over time and then the hub slides on (or off!!) the axle.  I'd pull the hub, clean up everything, if the key shows any damage replace it (I'd replace it no matter what personally), and reassemble.  

squonk

With the angle of that key I agree with Bob. Take it apart and check the axle and hub. You might get it to work somewhat by getting that key back in the groove and sliding the hub but you will be doing it again in the middle of the next storm!

• Like 1

stevasaurus

You have found the problem.  Take the hubs off and take some pictures of the keys, the slot in the axles, and the slot in the hubs.  Hopefully the set screws just loosened up on you.  :)

allensmall

You guys are the best.  Took everything apart and put it back together.  Just finished up doing a pass up and down the driveway.  Worked like a champ.  Good enough for tonight though.  Back it tomorrow in the daylight.  

• Like 3

SethL1984

I'm always amazed at the quality and speed of help around here! Seriously, you couldn't find tech service this good even if you wanted to pay for it!...

(Que all the comments stating "You could sure pay me!"... haha)

• Like 2

allensmall

Does anybody happen to know what size key this takes? I think it's 1/4x1-3/8 but I wanted to double check. Went to my local true value this morning and they didn't have one that size.

stevasaurus

Here is a chart for wood ruff key sizes.  If ACE does not have it, try Tractor Supply or your TORO dealer.  :)

Your TORO part number is # 937097 for the axle key.

Edited by stevasaurus

KC9KAS

I'm always amazed at the quality and speed of help around here! Seriously, you couldn't find tech service this good even if you wanted to pay for it!...

I agree 100%!!

squonk

Hope you don't have a situation like my 73 8 spd. 2 different size axle keys and the original owner I got it from swore that the axles were never changed. Took 2 orders from McMaster-Carr to get the right size. (The Toro # was wrong)  :rolleyes: