persof

Ford F150 help

persof

Guys,

I have a 1993 F150, 302 V8 , 2WD pickup truck.  It has the standard instrument cluster without a tachometer.  I found a 1993 instrument cluster with a tachometer is a junk yard for $50 and thought I might install it into my truck but the connectors are different.  Is there a detailed wiring diagram that I could use to make this mod or is this a lost cause?  fyi my truck is 2WD and the instrument cluster is from a 4WD.  see the attached pic

Thanks

Francis 

post-2413-0-21902500-1422131630_thumb.jp

Racinbob

You might get lucky and someone will have one for you. I just did a quick Ebay search and they have a lot of Haynes manuals that cover your truck. All the diagrams will be in those.

TT

I'm sure it can be done but I would have probably went with an aftermarket tach.  :hide:

Since you're into it for $50, I'm sure you will be installing this new cluster in your truck.

Look for the factory Ford EVTM (electrical / vacuum troubleshooting manual) for the '93 F series.

Not only does the EVTM have the diagrams, it breaks them down into individual circuits and explains their function.

• Like 1

KyBlue

It can be done but as others have said you're going to have some time in on the wiring to connect the circuits... part of the difference is the 4x4 cluster...has additional lights ...

smoreau

Also you may need to add a tach wire that the original cluster harness would not have.

persof

I will look at these ideas... Thanks

"D"- Man

Chances are if you go to your local Ford dealer, and ask a service rep he may be able to print off a copy of the wiring diagrams that you will need.  I have spoke with my local Chrysler dealer's service rep and he was able to print off a wiring diagram for a moon-roof/sun-roof, Mark.

SousaKerry

I actually tried this exact same thing once.  If your cluster is from the exact same year and engine it should work, however mine wasn't but the plugs matched.  What I found out is when I plugged in the new dash with the tack my charging circuit no longer worked.  And subsequently my truck would die about 2 or 3 miles from the house.  I did find some useful information by searching the F-150 forums and had actually traced out all the wires on the film and was going to rewire the differences but there were a few leads that I could not trace and I was getting a major headache from it.  I eventually scrapped the project and sold the truck. 

Good luck

Sparky

What would happen to the odometer reading? Would the new clusters mileage reading become your mileage so to speak?

Mike.........