Tristan Wilson

its it just me or has geno retired lol

JC 1965

Wow Geno !!  Sounds like you have some really big plans. Hope everything works out exactly how you wish them to. I say , (  When you dream, dream big )   :thumbs2:   Glad to have you you back posting again. I thought maybe the flu bug had bit you big time. 

• Like 3

SousaKerry

Hey Geno have you called Toro yet to ask what they want for the rest of the Wheel Hose stock parts and naming rights to produce more tractors?   :ychain:  :ychain:  :hilarious: 

• Like 4

kudzu3

Geno I admire what you are doing, a modern day wheel horse dealership seems a great idea to me. It is a good thing that you are saving the horses as opposed to seeing them turn into rust in a junk yard or sitting in someone's yard wasting away. I admire you and Sandra for your hard work in mixing your hobby and business and still enjoying it as a hobby. I believe that when you get everything up and running, we'll all appreciate and enjoy what you're doing. :bow-blue:

• Like 4

AMC RULES

:confusion-shrug:  Sounds like a dream job to me.    :handgestures-salute:

• Like 2

KyBlue

:confusion-shrug:  Sounds like a dream job to me.    :handgestures-salute:

Sounds like a awesome job... Glad that I can count him as a ally too...

• Like 2

Tristan Wilson

im just glad your happy geno cant wait to see what you have planed the summer hey blue he need a ribbon cutting and some BBQ when he's all done with everything what do you think

• Like 1

km3h

I don't see that Geno is going to hurt the rest of us who do this as a hobby. Yes he will drive hundreds of miles to buy tractors. but when he does he buys a collection of five or more. Sometimes as many as 30 at one time. For him it is not profitable to drive 50 to a hundred miles for one tractor. For me I will drive two hundred miles to get one if it is something I want. He could not survive doing that.  

The good thing for me is I just made a great deal for a 520-H with 60 in deck and he is going to hold it for me till I can get it. And the price was exactly what I thought it was worth to me.

Of course I really am a hobbyist. I buy a Wheel Horse and I restore it. That's why I buy it. The fun of doing the work is what I get out of it. I would never sell one to make any money for any reason. My belief is that if you do this and then resell them, you are in fact running a part time business.

Now before anyone gets their panties in a knot, I personally don't care one way or another what the other guy does. I am sure we all love what we do with these wonderful machines. If anything I am jealous of Geno. He has a beautiful wife who supports him in everything he does and has turned his hobby into a business that he gets to work right alongside his wife in. If is was a bit younger I might try that myself.   

Can it get any better than that?  

• Like 7

vinnyfish1

I am pretty sure that was Geno that bought a cache of 45 wheel horse tractors and implements here in Indy just before Christmas....

• Like 1

vinnyfish1

He knows what he is doing so ...Maybe we have a big time used parts dealer on the horizon

• Like 4

can whlvr

I hope geno can make a go of this but I agree that it might be hard to sell that many horses to make a living,i would think that many brands would open the door a little more

• Like 2

520HC

Well Geno, go for it. I did exactly the same thing you are planning. Back in the late 80's early 90's I was buying all the WH I could find and there is a lot of them out there. One day I looked around and had a 40x65 building full a 24x36 building full a 30x42 building full and a 24x48 building full. I came to a quick conclusion that I will NEVER get all these tractors running let alone restored. Had over 200. So in 2008 had a auction sold all but 10 that I hand picked to keep. Now I am back to 46. But I can work on them at my pace. I only buy certain models now not everything out there.

• Like 7

stevasaurus

520HC...you are cracking me up.  :ROTF:   It looks like you have the addiction really bad, and to "hell" with any support groups.  That's funny...Thanks for that.  :)

• Like 2

papaglide

Geno, is it my understanding that you are planning to buy Horses, restore them and put them up for sale like they are "pre-owned" If so I wish that you lived closer to me man! I think that's a great idea.

• Like 2

Digger 66

Yea , I was wondering why Geno hasn't been posting lately.    :dunno:

He was busy rendering  the new avatar  :ychain:

Edited by Digger 66
  • Like 1

AJ_Thanatos

He was busy rendering  the new avatar  :ychain:

Nailed it!  :hilarious:

• Like 2

KyBlue

Ya gotta watch him...lol

• Like 1

boovuc

Your living the dream, Geno. Good for you! All the best buddy!

(Now stay the hell out of Pennsylvania you horse rustler!)

​I hate it when my subconscious types when I'm not looking!

:happy-jumpeveryone:

• Like 4

Saber

Post some pics of the place when it's finished Geno.

AJ_Thanatos

Post some pics of the place when it's finished Geno.

Yeah post some pics Geno, we all want to see the brand new shop! 

• Like 1

Digger 66

I'm hiding.   :laughing-rolling:   

P.M'd 'ya ....

KyBlue

He's been busy building a new set of forums ... has taken much of his time...

post-246-0-88642500-1422721495.png

• Like 1

km3h

Not sure if this is allowed here but yes Geno has built a forum to service his customers and anyone else who wants to join in.

http://www.wheelhorsestables.com/index/

Today is the official opening of the forum and his new business.

• Like 2

Butch

I don't see that Geno is going to hurt the rest of us who do this as a hobby. Yes he will drive hundreds of miles to buy tractors. but when he does he buys a collection of five or more. Sometimes as many as 30 at one time. For him it is not profitable to drive 50 to a hundred miles for one tractor. For me I will drive two hundred miles to get one if it is something I want. He could not survive doing that.  

The good thing for me is I just made a great deal for a 520-H with 60 in deck and he is going to hold it for me till I can get it. And the price was exactly what I thought it was worth to me.

Of course I really am a hobbyist. I buy a Wheel Horse and I restore it. That's why I buy it. The fun of doing the work is what I get out of it. I would never sell one to make any money for any reason. My belief is that if you do this and then resell them, you are in fact running a part time business.

Now before anyone gets their panties in a knot, I personally don't care one way or another what the other guy does. I am sure we all love what we do with these wonderful machines. If anything I am jealous of Geno. He has a beautiful wife who supports him in everything he does and has turned his hobby into a business that he gets to work right alongside his wife in. If is was a bit younger I might try that myself.   

Can it get any better than that?

I might not fully understand his business but I don't think you can make money restoring horses. Ones labor is too valuable to make a tractor afordable. Same with the implements. No money to be made there. You might be able to pick something up for one price and inflate it but I don't see making a living out of it. Reproduction parts can make money but you can also price yourself out of the market. Would I pay $50 for a sidecover if I could buy one used for $10? Plus Toro still has many parts available. Making parts isn't easy and cheap. You need a machine shop and possibly a paint booth. I just can't see making money selling Wheel Horse products.

bean

I think to make any money you will have to part out the tractors. selling them whole/restored will give you a very small number of potential customers, because of driving distances.

as parts, you have a nationwide, or even international market, through ebay.

I've noticed that for the last 1-2 years,ebay has been flooded with parts. there used to be just a few thousand wheel horse parts listings at any given time. now it is routinely 10,000 listings. they still sell, but at slightly lower prices

selling other brands would open up a bigger market

I had an old murray mower that we bought new and instead of scrapping it, I decided to part it. I got the same prices that you would for a wheel horse.

my hats off to you and good luck :thumbs: