scotty

Stock class pulling?

scotty

I am considering making one of my wheel horses a puller. It is a 1974 b-80. The motor has been swapped with a 6.5 hp predator. Would that be enough power for a stock class pull? And what would be the best tires for stock pulling? I swapped out the transmission with an 8 speed. Is there any other things i should know before getting into pulling? Thanks.

Edited by scotty

baerpath

Get a set of rules and see what the classes and rules are.

A 6.5hp in a 12hp class ain't a perfect match but if they have a 8hp class you'd be fine. Also check what tires are allowed some only allow turfs in low hp classes  

Alway's first thing is get the rules

• Like 1

Live4outdoors

Yes, Duane is right get the rule book. Every area and circuit of pullers has different rules. I wouldn't want to pull with a 6.5 hp, it's a game of power and traction, but if you have super low hp classes then you would be alright. Tires are track dependent, I use to have turf and lug tires depending on condition, but again your rules will change what you might be allowed. In the rules they will give you hitch heights, but easiest to do is make yourself an adjustable hookup in the back, that way with a couple bolts you can set it to the regulation bar at the track your pulling.

• Like 1

scotty

Is there somewhere i can search where there are pulls in my area?

Edited by scotty

Spareparts

This is my first post, and I haven't introduced myself yet and will do it soon but if you check out Brian Millers tip and tricks page he will have the information you are looking for as far as locations and much more.

• Like 1

baerpath

Central New York garden tractor pullers, Catskill garden tractor pullers, Hillbilly Hookers, Tioga Co pullers, Brookfield Garden Tractor Pullers

I would think Catskill and Tioga would be the closest Catskill,CNY and Brookfield all have a 8hp class All of them are on Facebook

Edited by baerpath

Wheel Horse Collector

I would use bar tires. I think that a 6.5 horse would be ok for a stock pull. Get a set of the rules and go from there

slammer302

There is a lot of aftermarket support for 6 1/2 HP clones but what's allowed is another story

Wheel Horse Collector

Ya. I'm in the middle of making a stock wheel horse raider 10 puller and I'm just kinda following the rules and its coming along just fine.

scotty

Alright Im going to have to check those out. Thanks for the quick responses.