Sign in to follow this  
G-PAs Toy

Restoration Help

G-PAs Toy

Hi guys, new here and to the restoration. My grandpa gave me his old Workhorse 700. I grew up on this tractor putting around his backyard. Grandpa has the beginning stages of alzhiemers and every time I see him he asks me at least twice how the old horse is doing. I would love to get this tractor cleaned up and spruced up before grandpa can't remember anything. Don't have the extra money to go hog wild right now. Would just like to get it back to looking good again. Any websites that sell parts or decals would be a big help. I live near Terre Haute, IN. if anyone knows anybody in this area. Thanks for your help guys.

BairleaFarm

A couple of pictures to show its current condition would give us a better idea of what will be involved with the restore. A good sanding and a coat or 2 from a spray can seem to be working well for alt of members. Ebay and members on here are the best places ive for to buy used parts. some are still available from toro but alot are not. http://www.redoyourhorse.com/servlet/StoreFront This guy is a member here. he does great work and is very easy to deal with. If he doesnt have the decal you need and he can find a picture of it he will make one.

sorekiwi

First of all, :banghead:

I know nothing about the workhorses, but I'm sure there's plenty of guys here that do.

A lot of parts are interchangeable between models, ask your questions here, and post in the wanted section for the bits you need. If you have to you could possibly find bits on ebay.

Vinylguy52 is doing reproduction decals, I dont see any Workhorse stuff, but with some photographs and measurements he can reproduce anything.

A rattlecan respray and a set of decals would spruce up the tractor pretty cheaply. The sanding and prep is the key to it looking good, and fortunately thats the cheap bit.

And remember :USA:, both before and after.

I'm in Indiana too, but closer to Indy than Terre Haute, though I can pick up Terre Haute TV!

jusjeepn

First let me say :banghead: . I'll have to agree with everyone here, Some rattle cans and some new decals would be the ticket. If your old decals are still in good shape, you can just mask them off with green or blue painter tape (green is for automotive use, blue is for house painting). AS youv'e already been told, prep is the key and takes most of the time! good luck and :USA:

KyBlue

Prep is 98% of a good job...Its why a good Automotive paint job costs so much, cause its soooo labor intensive!

:banghead:

saguaro

If you go the rattle can rout. Get the add-on spaygun tips I think you'll be pleased with it.

Electro12WH

Valspar International Harvester Red does a good job. If Gramps sees it painted up, you might not even need the decals right away.

G-PAs Toy

Thanks guys appreciate the help. I will try to get some pics in the near future. I had a nice digital camera until the wife left in on the table. Needless to say the 2 year old at the time found it quit amusing. The camera hasn't worked since. So the old cheapo I got for my daughter on Christmas will have to do.