music100

Carb problem

music100

Hi guys, been working on the spare 414 with a magnum engine. Finally got the wiring sorted and got it to start. Running open it does fairly well but bring it back down and it starts "hunting" and if I back it down more it quits. Won't idle. Cleaned it good and noticed the shaft has a bit of play in it. Do you think I need a new carb? or can this be fixed? Thanks, John

can whlvr

most of my tractors,s carbs have some play in the throttle shaft,i know its not good for them but they all will idle and run decently,so maybe shes not completely clean or adjusted,i have 2 that I bought new carbs for and they run funny sometimes too,depends on your carb but some can be fitted with a bushing for the shaft,

Horse46

Try putting some vaseline grease over the throttle shaft, if its leaking air this should show it up? 

(Check me out giving advise, I've only been here five minutes, it just goes to show what you can learn here from all these clever people)

Edited by Horse46
  • Like 2

Wishin4a416

You can rebush [you need 2] the throttle shaft. Ace Hardware / Hillman part # 58087-A. I have done 2 and what a difference it makes especially in the starting time. I don't know if this would solve your problem, just wanted to let you know about bushing them. And I learned it here some time ago. These bushings are for the big block carbs. 26/28/30.

• Like 1

music100

Thanks for the ideas, will try the grease and see if that helps and then a rebush if it is called for. John