pfrederi

How are your winter projects going..what is in your shop??

pfrederi

Bashed my leg on the 418A and her snowblower today, she hasn't been used yet this year. The shop is crowded..may have to talk to the chief of staff about another addition to the shop.  Got to thinking winter is almost half over and what have I gotten accomplished.  The 418 was supposed to get a foot control..not yet. There is an 857 from a friend that I have gone over and is probably ready to go but it has been too cold and i would have to move a lot of stuff to get her out for a test run. The Case VAC did get a new clutch and ring gear.  .  Currently I am juggling multiple hobbies. There are my 3 tractors (Case DC3 VAC and Farmall M) a friends Farmall B I am converting to a wide front. My M37 and M274 have been joined by an M35A2 (a 2 1/2 ton truck) from another neighbor needing some work. The 418a and the Electro12 plow tractor (used only 2 times so far) and my faithful L-107.  She starts and runs better and quicker than any Kohler in the cold.  I will admit last week when it was really cold she stalled when I let the clutch out. She starts on the first pop and warm up is how long it takes for the garage door to open, then she hauls 750 lbs of coal and a hundred pounds of ash. I cannot bad mouth Tecumseh. Also there is a NP200 transfer case dissembled that i want to put together and then put on my M37.  Spring may get here sooner than I am ready for.

• Like 1

woodchuckfarmer

Yep sounds like my place

Wishin4a416

A standstill. To Da%& cold in the Garage. This was warmer times.

post-8484-0-01125900-1421888499.jpg

• Like 5

Ken B

I'm trying too decide how I want this one to look. First pic is as I bought it, second is the idea stage.. Once I decide on what I really want to do with it I'll tear it all down and put a real nice paint job on it. I might go with the big tires in back with tri ribs on stock front rims painted white? (as the slots are off of my Suburban.) I might go with a different decal idea.,the 855 decals are kinda boring. Oh, and I hope to find something big too stuff under the hood. Maybe an Onan, Kohler twin or a Briggs Vanguard twin. I gotta have at least 18 hp on this one...

DSCN2387_zps1345c528.jpg

DSCN2445_zps2d69beea.jpg

DSCN2447_zps80844e3f.jpg

Edited by Ken B
  • Like 7

slammer302

Just got the motor swap finished today0f748f17a54a6a71f3d99dc7da9dd9c7.jpg41523fd673ac9f649cb923aa39f62885.jpgstill need to switch out the tins on the motor

• Like 3

slammer302

I also built this k181 out of extra parts over the last month65d23fdf2b6871235bc57b69044aaf88.jpg

• Like 5

rmaynard

I insulated my garage this summer and fall, so with my 45,000 BTU Hot Dawg propane heater I'm staying toasty warm this winter.

I am currently working on my 416-H.

• Like 4

82Caddy

My winter project so far has been to get my shop organized and ready for some actual work...

Electrician finally finished the wiring for my plasma table and air compressor.

15991025668_560ebe010a_c.jpg

Ignore the orange thing in the background.  It was a gift from my wife's grandfather.

Now it looks more like this on the front portion.

16335428271_1f6ae97843_c.jpg

After a few minor issues, the snow pushing machine has done great the rest of the winter...

16337614395_8e88dbf4b3_c.jpg

• Like 4

6.0 powerstroke

I replaced a wheel bearing and need to patch a hole in a deck

I knew there was a hole but didn't expect this much rot

post-11954-0-72281300-1421931960_thumb.j

Fun Engineer

I've been working on the back 12 feet of my barn. In one corner I'm building a 12x14 paint room. More on that later. [emoji2]. In the other corner we built a 12x14 guest room. We call it the "Bunkhouse". Had to finish these so I could get back to the Wheel Horse projects.

Here's a shot from the garage area. With the paint room doors on the left.

After carpet.

After Mrs. Funengineer was done[emoji2].

Sent from my tractor seat.

Edited by Fun Engineer
  • Like 9

Forest Road

I'm at a standstill with a k-341 rebuild. I really think its gonna stay put for awhile. Probably drop the cash on a J&E piston and billet rod. Which means it'll go back to the machinist. Ahhh the price of learning on the job!

My son's first pinewood derby car is finished. I just hope he's happy with the results on race day.

post-5562-142193699336_thumb.jpg

And I'm still trying to get organized in my newly built garage. Undoubtedly once I finally get there I'm sure I'll want to tear something apart and start anew.

On a very positive note the 4 or 5kW electric heater is a gift from above. Temps are always in low 50s even on the coldest days.

• Like 2

Pollack Pete

Hey Kevin......no Wheel Horse decal on the derby car???Looks great though.

• Like 1

shallowwatersailor

Spring will be here before the winter projects are done. I have to admit, the later in winter the more tolerable the cold is. Early in December if it got down below 40 degrees, I wouldn't bother working in the garage. I even installed a small heater this year. Today it is just above freezing and I am working in shirtsleeves.

It seems projects never go as quickly as you expect them. Good thing its my equipment as if it was flat rate I would owe the customer!

Today was set aside to finish the rewiring on my Gravely 5665. Instead, I went out with the C-105 to finish doing the neighbors driveways from the 2" snow yesterday. Halfway through the first one I got a flat on the left rear. The tires are pretty worn so its time for new anyway. Back to the garage to put on a spare set of tires. I decided to cleanup/paint the hubs while I was at it. It also is one of the tractors that hasn't gotten lugnuts so they are going on too. Then the decision to use a set of Ags or 23x10.50-12 turfs from one of the 5xi. I guess I'll decide when the paint on the hubs is dry. Plus its my night to cook dinner: pork roast, pickled red cabbage, and mashed potatoes. Yum! Yum! Looks like the Gravely waits for another day.

Edited by shallowwatersailor

Horse46

I only managed to clean of the under side of my mowing deck with a wire wheel brush and throw a coat or two of Hammerite on it. I'm not to sure it was best to paint it in such cold air though, I did it a few weeks ago and I can still smell the paint. I hope it goes off by spring!

MalMac

Was working on converting a 414-8 by putting on a 520 front reduction steering and front axel for front end loader use. Got all the steering converted over. Ran into a problem with the motor I was going to put in it. Now the motor is totally disassembled on the bench waiting for me to cut loose the money for a rebuild. Going to have to wait atleast till late spring. So my big winter project is on a long hold.

Coadster32

I want to fix/repair/replace the window regulator in my 79' Camaro...but the garage is a little chilly for my tastes right now. (Not in a big rush for the cut up hands that will come with it either)

HorseHead1089

Well I'm certainly jealous of all the crazy shops and beautiful equipment, yet I'm still in corner of my parents garage...yet again I'm only 15...still managing on flipping tractors...although I do have quite the setup for limited funding.

Digger 66

Nothing Horse related here .

After a dealer in the area had my Renegade for nearly three months for diagnostics ( The ECU stuff I don't have the soft ware for ) , I took it out of their hands because I think they're incompetent ( even they are a certified Can-Am service point & dealer ) .

Dropped it off at the place I should have gone in the first place & they said "we'll have it back & ready for spring in less than two weeks , Gene " .  :)

Got my carb rebuild kit ready for the spring teardown of the 66 Ariens blower . I may be checking back here for some help on that if anyone has any experience with these .

And getting ready for a three day sled trip up to Tug Hill next weekend  :greetings-clappingyellow:

papaglide

No heat in the barn equals no projects for me, although I do go into the barn occasionally with a nice cold beverage, look at the tractors and say nice to myself! Except when I get to the xi and then I think, dang can't wait until it gets warm out so I can figure out why it won't start!

Edited by papaglide
  • Like 2

Live4outdoors

Moved my paint booth into the heated garage with great intension to finish my economy painting before spring to come to realize it's an attached garage and the fumes and a pregnant wife aren't on the same terms, so have been on a stand still and it's driving me crazy!

• Like 2

rmaynard

Moved my paint booth into the heated garage with great intention to finish my economy painting before spring to come to realize it's an attached garage and the fumes and a pregnant wife aren't on the same terms, so have been on a stand still and it's driving me crazy!

Don't feel bad. Wives can smell "hobby" when it comes in the house. I was in the garage (detached) cleaning some parts with clear 1-K kerosene the other night. I always wear latex gloves which are disposed of in the garage. I was careful to take my shoes off outside, take my work pants off in the laundry room and put on my pajama pants. I took the pants back out to the garage, washed up in the basement, and came upstairs free of odor, or so I thought. Within 10 seconds of coming into the living room where my wife was reading, she said "I smell gasoline". 

Whether they are pregnant or not, wives are gonna complain about smelling something. 

Vent that paint booth and get back to work. I'll be hiding under this chair. :hide: 

Edited by rmaynard
  • Like 8

Tristan Wilson

its going slow for me cant find the paint I like to use anymore so the A-90 special restore is on hold. Rebuilt the k181 in my commando 8 and added wheel weights,chains and a 42'' snow blade. I got the peerless 1320b trans out of the 257-H and torn apart the other day not as bad as I thaught it would be need 3 seals and a bearing for the transaxle and seals on the pump. I hope to get more done but were only humain lol and I almost forgot the slot hitch adaptor I made to

post-6453-0-18844900-1421980240_thumb.jp

post-6453-0-29520400-1421980315_thumb.jp

post-6453-0-52114600-1421980361_thumb.jp

post-6453-0-15786600-1421980397_thumb.jp

post-6453-0-42941100-1421980425_thumb.jp

Live4outdoors

Whether they are pregnant of not, wives are gonna complain about smelling something. 

Vent that paint booth and get back to work. I'll be hiding under this chair. :hide: 

• Like 1

new2horses

Well, I usually don't have much to add, but just couldn't help myself this time! :ychain: I have spent most of the winter to this point doing heavy mechanic work, that is I have been putting a rear end in a recliner!!!!! :laughing-rofl:

• Like 6