blu_stang

D250 Driveshaft and Transmission

blu_stang
My latest project is restoring a 1976 D250 to good working condition.   I've come across a stumbling block that I could use a few opinions on.  
The engine runs smooth and starts right up even in freezing weather. The tractor is in relatively good mechanical and cosmetic condition, but there are a few things which were obviously overlooked or neglected over time.  

There is a vibration in the drive train that rears its ugly head, mostly when the tractor is cold and when in the low to mid RPM range.  I can feel a little bit of play in the U join closest to the motor, but there is also a bit of play in the coupler or possibly the bearing at the shaft entrance to the transmission.   The clutch plate was recently replaced and is solid.    

I have a good industrial power transmission place nearby which has had all of the bearings and seals I needed, so far, including metric.  I also have a place nearby that services and builds custom driveshafts.  So, I’m confident I can get what I need; it just need to figure out what my approach is going to be. I don't have experience repairing drive lines. Has anyone worked on replacing any pieces in the drive line on a D250? 

So far, I intend to replace the U joints in the driveshaft. That seems like an obvious step.  I also was considering having the driveshaft balanced once the U joints are replaced.  The biggest unknown to me is the play where the driveshaft meets the transmission.  Does anyone have a solid D250 they would be willing to climb under to check the play on that shaft?  I have no sense for how much play is OK, or if this is something I am going to have to take care of, right away.  Based on all of what I have read about the early D250 transmissions, the play at the transmission has caught my attention.

Also, if anyone happens to know the size (dimensions by numbers) of the U joints needed, having those would help speed up the repair process.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Ed Kennell

I can't help with your D-250  Blu, but I am sure the experts will chime in soon to help.

Welcome to the  :rs:  and :wwp:

blu_stang

I made some good progress on my own this past week.  

After calling around, I found that most of the local auto repair shops that claim to do driveline repair in fact have their driveshaft work done at the local FleetPride. I took the driveshaft off and brought it in to them.  The guys at FleetPride had the repairs done in a day and had no problem sourcing new U joints.

I am glad I took it to professionals.  Apparently it had not been aligned properly and had been beaten up a bit so it needed some repairs beyond just the U joints. This easily explains the vibrations I was feeling. FleetPride was able to correct the damage and get the new U joints in. They chose to replace the greaseable type with non-greaseable.  The work on my driveshaft was a little expensive at about $250.  Nonetheless, I think it was worth it to get great professional service and brand new parts for a 40 year old metric tractor.

As for the transaxle, once I got the driveshaft off I was able to feel the coupler for the transmission into the Hi/Lo gears.  No problem there, all was tight. So, I think i should be good to go for a little while.

By the way, I know the D250 has a bad rap for part sourcing.  But I have to say, I've had pretty good luck sourcing new parts for this tractor.  I wont hide that It has taken a little bit of digging, but so far I've replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter and fuel lines with new parts.  Many new hydraulic hoses (apparently they're all US standard size, or close enough).  The points, condenser and distributor cap were replaced with new parts by the previous owner and I have an extra set.  Obviously, now the driveshaft U joints are new. I was able to order a new water pump pulley set from Continental Engines in SC. Through that transaction I was able to confirm that they can pretty much get new parts for the entire motor directly through the Renault factory, right up to the flywheel and clutch.  I've found sources for a new starter and new or rebuilt alternators to replace the generator.  I have new bearings, chains and hardware on the snowblower I rebuilt, including for the gearbox.  A new rear PTO shaft seal.  New engine gaskets.  NOS Solex 26 DIS rebuild kit and a set of 5 NOS Solex gasket kits.

So far, I think the only parts I felt I needed to buy used were the transaxle gears and the axle housings.  If the transaxle goes, then that will be by far the biggest challenge to repair; as has been stated in the past.  However, I've also been in the background considering how I might be able to retrofit a Tuff Torq K92 hydrostatic transaxle into this tractor, should the old Guttbrod box ever be beyond repair. At least it's food for thought.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Titus105
      By Titus105
      I have a D250, always wanted one and as usual the steering box needs replaced. Now I could just find a new used one, but I seen it mentioned that the power steering from a JD 318 would work to replace the steering box. 
      Has anyone tried this swap. And if so, do you have any pictures. 
    • jmack
      By jmack
      I’m looking for a transmission dipstick to a D-180. Let me know if you see one. 
    • Doug B
      By Doug B
      Hey guys,I have a dilemma I need some help with. I have a 1969 GT 14 that I replaced the transmission and pump on. For about 2 weeks afterward everything worked great, but while mowing at a pretty good pace I noticed a shudder and the tractor slowed a little but not bad. The more I rode it the slower it got until it barely moves. What stumps me is the hydraulics are still very strong,as in I can back the 3 point under the bumper of my truck and if you lift the arms all the way up the front wheels of the tractor will clear the ground. Have checked the tow valve and checked the internal filter,but no luck. I have also checked and replaced the forward and reverse bypass springs and the lever is moving the cam to full travel, forward and reverse. Any help would be appreciated.
    • ri702bill
      By ri702bill
      I read the post by @Foxer14 regarding the out-of-line price set by his grandfather that wanted to sell his C175. I can relate to his frustration when it comes to WH Tractors and the over-the-top demands set by family relatives. You can pick your friends, but not your relatives...🤷‍♂️
      Disclaimer: The names have been changed to protect the guilty and this really happened as I am telling it.

Back in 1990 my father in law bought a used D250 that had a 60 inch deck and an Ark FEL for $2800 from a local WH Dealer. The previous owner bought it new and had it for 2 years and then died; his widow sold it back to the Dealer. My father in law had it for 2 years, had a stroke and died shortly thereafter (notice a pattern here??) I am sure that every family has a relative that is legendary for their history of extraordinary frugality (aka cheapness). After the burial my brother in law "Bob" expresses his interest to buy the D250 from my mother in law for what they paid for it - the issue was getting it from RI to OK.

Bob worked for a major airline and could have it shipped to Tulsa for free, but it would have to be drained of all fluids and crated and dropped off at the local airport. He kicked at the cost of the skid and crating and asked me if I could build the skid and crate in the back of my 4 cylinder Ranger and drop it off. I refused and told him I could crate it if he bought the materials but needed to hire a Freight Carrier to deliver it to the airport. He then realized he had no way to get it home when it arrived - he did not want to pay a Carrier to deliver it to his house.
      My sister in law, "Cindy" his wife, calls to demand that I help him get it home. At the time, I had just gotten a promotion and had 10 days of Vacation Time available. They wanted ME to load it in my Ranger and DRIVE it to Oklahoma with their "generous" offer of $50 per day for lodging & meals and "X" per loaded mile gas money - and less than "X" for the return trip - I flat out refused.
      I gave them MY suggestion - He should fly here (he could do so for free) and HE should rent a one way small box Van. We would load it up and "hot shoe" it across the country, one drives, the other sleeps, no Hotel rooms, and I would help him to unload it and I wanted him to put me on the next plane to RI at his expense. He said absolutely not, forget the whole deal, let Mom sell the tractor.

Mom did sell the tractor to the next door neighbor for $2800 - he had it for 2 years..... then he died.

I do not know what ever became of the tractor BUT I have had people tell me that with the history of it I should have made sure my Brother in law got it !!!
      True but sad, sad but true...
      Bill
    • mattd860
      By mattd860
      I have developed a kit that allows a Wheel Horse / Toro hydrostatic tractor to be operated by a pedal on the right side of the tractor. The original forward/reverse lever can be retained or removed. The kit includes everything needed to install the pedal kit and installation is simple with the help of a downloadable installation manual. Additionally, only one (1) 1/4" hole will need to be drilled which can be done by a hand drill. No other drilling or cutting will be necessary. Any tractor with this kit can be converted back to stock without any visible evidence that kit was installed. However, you'll never want to do that

The kit operates very simply and similar to modern tractors. When the pedal is pushed forwards the tractor will move forwards. When the reverse pedal is pressed downwards, the tractor will moved in reverse. If the operator takes his foot of the pedal at any time, the pedal will automatically center itself and the hydrostatic transmission will return to neutral (stop). This enables the operator to use both hands on the steering wheel or one hand on the wheel and the other operating an attachment like a snow blower, plow, etc.

The foot pedal is custom cast in Aluminum, uses brass bushings to minimize wear, and it closely matches the OEM Wheel Horse BRAKE pedal commonly found on 8-speed manual transmission tractors. Modifications were done to the pedal to add the reverse pedal and adapt the pedal to the rest of the kit. For the most part, the pedal looks like it was designed and manufactured by Wheel Horse / Toro. Additionally, a grease fitting has been adapted to the pedal to further minimize wear and tear and if the brass bushings ever wear out they are fully replaceable without having to buy a whole new pedal. 

The pedal kit fits the following series tractors with Eaton hydrostatic transmissions: C-1X5, 300, 400, 500. 

My kit can be adapted to older hydrostatic tractors with the Sundstrand transmission, however, you will need to find an updated hydro cam commonly found on ebay. Message me for more information. 

Here is a link where you can download the installation manual: CLICK HERE

I am selling these kits for $330 shipped to anywhere in the United States. I offer multi order discounts as well. I will also sell to other countries for additional shipping charges to be determined.

If anyone has any questions please feel free to PM me or post your question here and I will be glad to help. Or you can email me at mattdarling02@hotmail.com.

Thanks!

Below are pictures of the complete kit and the pedal installed on the tractor. Some modifications have been made since these pictures were taken. For example, the reverse pedal is now cast in aluminum instead of the steel pedal shown below.