nrowles

How often you run the horse in winter?

nrowles

Other than snow work I have no need to use my horse in the winter. Since these horses are older and just as a good habit how often do you run your horse in the winter? This is my first year with my 1981 C145 and so far it has been an uneventful snowfall winter. I've decided that every Sunday I will let the horse warm up and make a round trip out the driveway about 1/4 mile total.

Dirtdog524

In the winter i run all my tractors about every other week for about an hour. I always allow the engine to come up to operating temperature. While the tractor is running, i check the charging system with my gauge . This seems to work in my favor come spring .

Wheel-N-It

Its a good idea to run them all for about 15 or 20 minutes every week. But of course I'm the worlds worst at taking my own advice regarding this...............................

• Like 4

Live4outdoors

I try to start them, but sometimes overlook it. I like to keep battery tenders rotating on the battery's atleast. I don't use them to plow snow since the 4 wheeler so they all sit dormant in back of the minibarn until spring.

Zeek

I do the same.  Sometimes I just fire one up and run it through the field next door.  Or if it snows through my yard and over my sandmound a few times.  The neighbors probably think I'm nuts driving a deckless tractor all over the yard  :scratchead:

They then confirm that when I go flying down the road on this  :auto-layrubber:

DSC06890_zps4ed1aa5a.jpg

• Like 5

Live4outdoors

Zeek, I don't know what that is but that would be an awesome ride

stratostar250

I try to start mine about every other week, for about 15-20 minutes, of course, I forget here and there sometimes, but it's what I would like to do, mainly just to keep the batteries good.  

snowhound

With me it depends on the weather if we are having a cold snap like this last week, nights below zero, I start them and let them run for about 15 to 20 min. once a week otherwise I run them 15 to 20 min every other week.

Ed

doc724

Two of my tractors are outfitted for winter work.  However, sometimes they sit unused waiting for the white stuff to fall.  When that happens, I start them every 3 weeks and let them run 15-20 minutes.  I do this really to make sure the batteries are fully charged and to see if there is a weak battery in the herd (like last weekend!)

pfrederi

Unless you really really work it and get it hot (not just warm) you will be building up condensation/water in your oil. Think about it, the oil temp has to get up to 212 to get rid of the water.  On a cold day unless you are really working her it won't get hot enough.  Letting them sit doesn't hurt them. Put a tickle charger on it.

• Like 8

Horse46

Unless you really really work it and get it hot (not just warm) you will be building up condensation/water in your oil. Think about it, the oil temp has to get up to 212 to get rid of the water.  On a cold day unless you are really working her it won't get hot enough.  Letting them sit doesn't hurt them. Put a tickle charger on it.

I'm with you on this, condensation rots out exhausts too, happened to a friend of mine on an old Lotus Esprit Turbo. He religiously started it every other week just ot make sure all the electrics and the like worked, but in the end all he did was crap up the oil and rot out the exhaust pipes.

I'm new to the Horse right now so I'm not takin my own advise, I start mine up once a week just so I can hear her run. :auto-biker:

• Like 2

Tankman

Thanks for the reminder. I try to run the Horses weekly but, at times forget.

Ran the fleet today to operating temp, checked fuel 'n oil levels, all's well. The Horses wanna get out there 'n work but, no snow, no grass, plenty of mud surface with the 40°F January.

My grandsons want snow, need seat time. I'll take it just like it is, I can see snow on the TV which is fine with me!   :laughing-rofl:

Hodge71

Unless you really really work it and get it hot (not just warm) you will be building up condensation/water in your oil. Think about it, the oil temp has to get up to 212 to get rid of the water.  On a cold day unless you are really working her it won't get hot enough.  Letting them sit doesn't hurt them. Put a tickle charger on

Paul, these are my feelings on it too. I change the oil on my C-160 as soon as I get done cutting grass in the fall. Change the gear oil and then it sits in the back of the barn until spring. I have no interest in white oil and I know there's no way I would be able to get it hot enough to burn the condensation off. Spring comes I pull the battery tender off and it fires right up.

• Like 3

nrowles

Interesting.  I'm glad this was brought up.  I already have a trickle charger on it so I guess it does not need to be started every week unless I'm working it.

ericj

i have had tractors get white oil in the winter even though i was working them clearing snow and such so i just let them sit unless i need to move them or work them, plus it kind of defeats the purpose of having low hr machines if you start and run them every week or two

eric j

AMC RULES

Hardly enough.  

shallowwatersailor

The tractors that have batteries and I am not using over the winter have the batteries pulled; placed on battery tenders; I put a couple of "Fresh Cab" pouches by the engine and trans; and then cover them. The four I do use for snow removal (three ride-ons and one walk behind) have battery tenders/solar panels connected to keep the batteries up. I also make certain that they get driven for the tires and seals benefit.

With the two hydros, I let them idle for five minutes per the manual to warm the trans oil and then drive them for about fifteen minutes (one use of the hour meter) approximately every two-three weeks. The manual trans tractors get driven/walked but don't generate the heat like the hydros, so I change the gear oil each Spring.

It is my first winter for the diesel 523Dxi which is garaged. I never was able to use all the summer diesel fuel that was on board. And it hasn't been used at all for snow removal due to the lack of snow. Each time it gets driven, it gets topped off with the treated winter diesel fuel. I would like to convert a tractor to diesel (or be able to afford another one :handgestures-fingerscrossed: ) so that I could rotate the diesel fuel stock more often. But lack of the Chinese diesels, because of being pulled from the market, has prevented me from converting one.  :(

Edited by shallowwatersailor

WHEEL HORSE 312-8

For snow and once a day for 10 minutes

woodchuckfarmer

Only when I have to if its cold.

Forest Road

Mine are at the family vacation house. They easily go 3 months without being touched. They're kept in an open aired shed. There's no electricity. I purchased a couple solar battery chargers from Northern tool, $20 each. Haven't had a problem starting since!!! Also installed fuel cutoff. Close em and let em burn off whatever's left in the line. Have a boat primer installed as well for fast starts.

Truthfully If I didn't need the snowblower or loader Is let them sit till spring.

Save Old Iron

I wonder why folks think it is a good thing to start a cold engine (when wear is at its maximum), take out a significant amount of energy from the battery, and only run the engine for a few minutes after starting (putting little charge back into the battery and leaving an overall deficit in the battery charge). I would think engine wear is maximized and battery maintenance is compromised by starting a cold engine unnecessarily.

• Like 7

Ken B

Chuck is 100% correct. I would hope anyone that starts their tractor has at least switched over to 10W30 oil. Synthetics are best in cold temps.. At freezing temps even 10W30 Dino oil pours very slow. Forget about straight 30 in freezing temps, its like molasses. Imagine the slinger trying to throw that stuff around...

• Like 4

bmsgaffer

:text-yeahthat:  I only start it for winter work or when I want to run it around, but I always run it for at least 30 minutes to be sure shes good and warm. And its stored in a garage that stays above freezing.

• Like 1

Coadster32

Only when I need to. They sit in an attached garage, above freezing temps. I have an in-line fuel shutoff and run the carbs dry for storage, and empty the tanks. I hook up a tender about once a month to each tractor.. Years later, and no problems to speak of. I agree...maximum engine wear, and battery takes a big hit as well. Not worth it to just start them up, when you run a bigger risk of damage.

• Like 1

Catmanii

Dosen't get really cold down here, 34 this morning, and with no snow or garden work to do they will sit till spring. I remove the batterys to the work bench with battery tenders on the batterys.

The tractors just sit till I need one for something and that's not happening till spring.