Hodge71

18 Auto Bled to Death

Hodge71

Wish I was here for good news but the thorn in my side is at it again. I shoulda named this tractor herpes because as soon asa I thinks its ok....BAM it comes back with a vengeance to ruin my life. :angry-cussingblack: I have always had a few leaks on the hydro lines on this thing. Nothing to really worry about but nuisances just the same. I was able to run it after I fixed the last leak in the rear end and after I drove her around for an hour I parked it back in the stall 2 weeks ago. Well this morning I decided I was going to hook up the snowblower I got for no reason other than just to see it hanging off the front and see it run....Theres no snow in the forecast anytime soon. I started theK-482 to let it warm up a bit before I jockeyed it around for position. From the time the engine fired to when I lowered the choke and left it purr at 1/2 throttle, I heard a funny sound, saw stuff spraying under the hood, looked quickly to see what it was and shut it off.....In a matter of 5 seconds it bled out completely on the floor of the barn.  I have never seen anything like this in my life. It wasn't coming out of the front of the pump by the coupler. I appeared to be coming out of the side somewhere near the motion control input shaft? :confusion-scratchheadblue:  I have no idea what could make a hole so big that it would empty the entire hydro system in 5 seconds. I am at a very frustrated loss. Im sorry for the poor description of where it was coming from but anyone who owns a D series knows you really can't see in too well from the side of these things and it was coming out quick... like a severed carotid artery...dead before you hit the ground.... Any ideas on what to could be? :confusion-confused:  I guess I will be tearing the PITA apart again and pulling the pump to see whats up...And I just got a new set of lines for her too that didnt leak....ugh....this thing is Satan himself I swear.... :banghead:  :confusion-helpsos:

• Like 1

Wheel-N-It

Hang in there Bro' and try to remember its only nuts and bolts. I admire you for owning a D series Wheel Horse. I've never been brave enough to pull the trigger on purchasing one.

I hope you know if we lived closer I would aid you in this moment of distress. Take some deep breaths and try not to let this ruin your weekend.

• Like 1

JackC

Sorry to hear. The manifold connects at the back of the pump and if that let go that may be what happened.  There are also hoses for the attachments in that area that may have let go. The pump itself may be fine.  Perhaps a prime suspect would be a hydraulic hose due to the history of prior leaks and the age of the vehicle.  I would definitely study the situation awhile before I tear into it. We D owners will be very interested in what you find out.  Keep us posted.

Hodge71

It's not the manifold. That comes into the bottom of the pump. I'm not sure it's the implement valve hoses either being that they are on the opposite side of the tractor and only pressurized when the lever actuated the valve. I guess I will learn next weeken when I have time to look into things. I was hoping someone may have run into this. I guess I have done all the bad stuff with these pumps and systems since way back when I tore one apart and documented it on here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trouty56

Maybe one of the hard lines let go....on the bright side she was pumping.....

Edited by Trouty56

Hodge71

Maybe one of the hard lines let go....on the bright side she was pumping.....

Nope no hard line where it was blowing out of Bob. It was the right side of the tractor when you're sitting in the operators station. Theres nothing on that side of the pump except the direction control rod that goes through the case side

boovuc

Jeff,

I think I would part it out but then again, Satan's spawn would spread to other tractors and take them down too. Perhaps melting it down into a block of iron and inscribing something on it.

"Here lies the remains of a D-series Wheelhorse that consumed the mind, time and pocketbooks of all those who have dared to own it."  

Nahh! Fix it! After all, it's only money and your sanity. Besides, you can't let a material thing like a tractor consume you! Right?   :angry-cussingblack:  :banghead:  :bitch:  :angry-cussingwhite:  :angry-teeth:

• Like 1

Hodge71

Jeff,

I think I would part it out but then again, Satan's spawn would spread to other tractors and take them down too. Perhaps melting it down into a block of iron and inscribing something on it.

"Here lies the remains of a D-series Wheelhorse that consumed the mind, time and pocketbooks of all those who have dared to own it."  

Nahh! Fix it! After all, it's only money and your sanity. Besides, you can't let a material thing like a tractor consume you! Right?   :angry-cussingblack:  :banghead:  :*****:  :angry-cussingwhite:  :angry-teeth:

I like that tombstone idea..lol...Thanks Boo

Hodge71

Well I was able to tear into it today and found out why she bled to death.....The gasket that is normally between the pump housing and base is missing up top. As soon as I start it , it pumps everything out the seam between. Now theres 6 hours worth of work to basically disassemble the middle of the tractor for whats probably a $2.00 gasket... I need to find my thread on rebuilding the pump from 3 years ago and see about this gasket. For some reason I remember 1 of them being NLA from Toro...... I bet pfrederi knows... I sure hope  this nor'easter misses us or its going to be some hard work for the Charger 12. I was really hoping to try the new snowblower out on the 18 too before this winters gone....

Edited by Hodge71

gwest_ca

Perhaps it is this gasket that TT set us straight on

Garry

Hodge71

Perhaps it is this gasket that TT set us straight on

Garry

Gasket is in step 16....

looks nothing like TT's gasket....

pfrederi

Jeff:  Sorry it is NLA 200223 or 83-3850...Seems we made one when we worked on the pump.  I am guessing 1/32" but you had better measure the remains of yours to be sure. You have my sympathy, the engineer that figured out how to make the pump almost totally inaccessible should be shot. Hours of work just to get to the pump.  Do you have the long 5/16 allen bit for your socket set to do the two manifold bolts?  i could mail you mine makes that part easier. Just be glad you don't have to remove an FEL first....

Hodge71

1/32 seems a bit heavier than what is on there but it may be right Paul. Is that a critical tolerance? I was hoping to use a heavier to be sure this doesn't happen again but for some reason I remember us chatting that day about the gasket needing to be paper thin because of pump tolerances

pfrederi

It would seem the gasket thickness would impact clearances on the gearotor charge pump.   I still have some parts pumps tomorrow I will see if I can measure any gaskets. I have started using permatex Hi Tack (#9 I believe) in an aerosol can.  It doesn't squeeze out and get in bad places like RTV.  I will also look to see if I have any of the material wew used to make th gasket. (Never throw anything away :) )  also looking at Mc Master this stuff may deal beter with higher pressure.  I have a sheet I bought but can't remember now what I got it for. (CRS is a real pain!!!!)

post-1023-0-21128000-1422308769_thumb.jp

alswagg

I feel your pain, it took me two cups of coffee to install power steering on my D loader/backhoe.  Good news now is I can drive with the palm of my hand.  Al