Sign in to follow this  
wingrider

It didn't sound quite right

wingrider

Pulled the pan off and found the rod was a little loose on the crank, Pulled the cap off and found more bad news, the crank and the rod were both scored pretty bad. Checked crank and found it to be about 5 thousand out of round and the cap was a mess too. Wandering how much a crank can be turned to clean it up or will I really need a new crank or maybe look for a good used one. I bought this tractor for the snow blower and its starting to get cold so I might not have a lot of time.

Gary B

JimD

ebay is a good source for engine parts. but i would ask the seller for more pictures and some background as to why it i being parted out. sometimes the pictures aren't very clear. most sellers are pretty cooperatve. also check the links here for parts suppliers.

TT

:banghead:

Since you didn't specify what engine you have, I'll go with the majority on guessing you have a Kohler single. Crankpins can be ground to .010" undersize only for fitment of an OEM (or aftermarket replacement) connecting rod. Any more than that requires spray-welding (to build up the original surface) and regrinding -- or crankshaft replacement.

One other option (10 thru 18hp single cylinder only) is to have a new connecting rod machined out for babbit bearing inserts. (like a "normal" automobile engine would use) I'm pretty sure you can go as small as .030" undersize with that method. (see Brian Miller's WEBSITE)

wingrider

The motor I was talking about is a 10 HP Model K241 AS Kolher. I have just talked to my local Kolher repair shop and he told me about a place in Kankakee Ill that they send all there work like this to that can do what you were talking about. He also told me a new crank for that motor from Kolher was a little over $400.00!!!!!!! , so this sounds like a much better way of fixing it

Thanks Gary B