nylyon

Wooden Camping Signs

nylyon

Do any of you folks by chance make wooden camping signs?  I'm looking to buy a a custom sign something like this:

sign_10.JPG]

• Like 1

neil

I think there are a few custom sign makers that do something like what you are looking for on that auction site Karl .

stevasaurus

That looks like it is wood burned and painted/stained...very nice.  My Dad loved to do that kind of thing...wish I had the hands to do what he did.  :)

Live4outdoors

I have a friend that use to do a lot of wood burning in portraits but he was slow and pricy but if you are interested I can call him and see if he's willing and put you in contact.

Ken B

I can remember there always being a guy at the Bridgewater Fair doing signs exactly like this. Matter of fact he made one for me. I THINK he still sets up a booth there, the Fair isn't till August though... I also remember someone at the Big E doing something similar... I usually go to the Bridgewater Fair. If you don't have something by then,  I can give you a call if he is there.

Terry M

Have any RV, camper and camping shows in your area? I thought The show last year here in Minneapolis had a vender doing custom signs Like what you have pictured above....

• Like 1

nylyon

Thank you all for the suggestions.  I'll certainly take a look at all of them.  My initial thought was to see if a member did this as I would support them first!

JimD

Karl, what exactly did you want on the sign? Just curious. Used to be a guy in the area that made things like this. Might be able to locate him.

Ken B

I wonder if they use some kind of stencil for the letter's?  The Nun's were never too fond of my penmanship... One referred to it as chicken scratch... :hide:

fireman

We had ours made at Busch Gardens in VA while we where there. They use a CNC machine to mill the design then hand painted it. If I remember right it was like $85.

mowerman1193

I have made a few signs but not many.. these signs I made was cut out of thin 1/8"  either oak or ask (depending on the sign pictured) and then glued to either walnut or heat modified poplar. They are finished with clear house paint. which is the best you can get for being in the elements.. Better than that expensive stuff they say is designed for outdoor use by a long shot. It is nothing more than buying exterier house paint and having them not put any color in it.. It looks white but will dry clear.

Anyway I had been contemplating offering something just like these shown but with the Wheel Horse Logo on each end.. They would be a nice feature to hang at the shows.. with either your name or your screen name to people would know who you are..

Anyway these here I made for friends or family this last Christmas. Picture of the roosters and the jeep are Ash glued to walnut. Sorry for the poor quality photos but these are before they had a finish and my cheap phone camera.The one with the eagles is made of oak and a two sided sign and glued to a poplar board that I baked in the oven for an hour to make it dark like walnut.. 

If there is enough interest I may be convinced to make a few with the W.H. logo.. Measures about 15" long and 5" tall

2014-12-23140904_zpsd9e38a21.jpg

2014-12-23140845_zpsf46f4c95.jpg

002_zpsc82a4672.jpg

• Like 4

nylyon

Those look fantastic, you wouldn't happen to be interested in making one with a campfire on it would ya?

• Like 1

Sparky

Good looking signs. If I was still camping I'd be askin about one as well.

Mike..........

mowerman1193

Yes I can make one with a campfire on each end like these I have shown..

Kevin

82Caddy

Those are nice signs. I do a similar thing just with metal for friends/family on my plasma table.