SolarGuru

New guy with RJ-58 questions – follow up on 1-5-2015 post

SolarGuru

First, thanks for the great suggestions on my January 5 post.  Installing the belt guard did the trick to allow me to shift from neutral to any gear without grinding gears.  The steering though is still crazy.  I straightened the tie rod but the wheels still lock up at both extremes.  There is, what I think, considerable play in the linkage and is probably the cause of my problem.  I also have noticed the front wheels are not parallel.  When the left wheel is facing straight forward, the right wheel is facing slightly to the right.  Also, the extremes in steering to the right and left are 32 degrees and 21 degrees, respectively.  Does this say anything about the linkage?  I'm wondering if maybe the person who had this horse before me handcrafted a replacement tie rod and got it the wrong length.  Any suggestions?

Jon

Lane Ranger

Check you wheel bearings and the pins  (round pins with cotter keys Wheel Horse Part #3461 )  that are in the steering linkage under the frame.  After 50 plus years they are usually very worn .    One of the Red Square members was making and selling the #461 pins -also called clevis pins several months ago .   Do a search   for SMITTY and you may find a source for these pins.

Post some pictures of your front end Jon and we may have some suggestions for you!

Edited by Lane Ranger

Sean Keys

From what I have always noticed they turn right, more so than left. I always just figured they didn't like NASCAR :laughing-rofl:  :laughing-rofl:

SolarGuru

Here are five views of the steering.  Sorry for the muddy tires.  I had just taken a quick spin down the muddy driveway.  Yes, the clevis pins are rather lose in their holes.  Notice how much more the wheels turn to the left versus turning to the right.  Doing a search on Smitty didn't come up with anything.  

post-14469-0-78488900-1420940425.jpg

post-14469-0-87482400-1420940426.jpg

post-14469-0-57592700-1420940427.jpg

post-14469-0-03722000-1420940429.jpg

post-14469-0-81559100-1420940429.jpg

• Like 1

wallfish

Go here and download the "IPL #A7136" file which shows all the parts.

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/files/download/1880-tractor-1958-1959-rj-58-rj-59-da-om-iplpdf/

It will also show you the correct place for each part. looks like you have the tie rod #12) and the steering block (#67) on upside down.

The steering link (#78) is hitting the frame

Did you ever straighten the tie rod (#12) if it's bent, that will cause the alignment issue.

I can't believe you posted a pic of muddy tires :ychain:

Edited by wallfish
  • Like 2

buckrancher

put a jack under the front of the tractor and lift it up just enough to take the weight off the front end but the tires are still on the ground

lay down on the floor and look up at the steering mechanism while someone turns the steering wheel both directions you should see where it's binding if the problem is underneath

Brian

• Like 2

VinsRJ

Yes this is a RJ35 but, the steering set up is exactly the same as your RJ58...

Edited by VinsRJ
  • Like 3

AMC RULES

Great "how to" video Vin.    :eusa-clap:

don355960

A little hard to tell from the pictures, but could the front axle be on upside down?

• Like 1

VinsRJ

A little hard to tell from the pictures, but could the front axle be on upside down?

I think you are right... The steering stops on his tractor are pointing in the up position... not down. 

Thanks man!

• Like 1

formariz

Not to highjack this thread but can we check the Site suggestions forum and try to get something acomplished here?

• Like 1

SolarGuru

First - great videos and good ideas.  Thanks.  And yes, the front end is upside down.  Wow, what a screw up on my part.  I did get the tie rod straightened and it is installed per the diagram.  The video shows the tie rod being heated before straightening.  Did I mess up again by pounding it back into the straight condition at room temperature?  I'll tune the front end turned over and get back to you guys.  Thanks so much from a newbe to the art.  

Jon

post-14469-0-51619700-1421003408.jpg

post-14469-0-14851700-1421003410.jpg

• Like 2

SolarGuru

Well guys, I think you've solved my crazy steering problem for me.  I turned the front end bar over and the steering now goes to both extremes and hits the stops and can be turned back without locking up.  The true test will happen though when I take the horse out for a spin, which I'll do after I repair the leak in the "new" carburetor float I just bought on eBay.  

Jon

• Like 1

SMITTY

Just saw the post anyone need the pins I can get some more made

Smitty

• Like 2

SolarGuru

Just saw the post anyone need the pins I can get some more made

Smitty

Thanks for jumping in Smitty.  I think a couple of these pins would clean up at least some of the slop in my steering.  How can I get a couple?

Jon

• Like 1

Lane Ranger

Smitty's  - clevis pins for the front end are great and helped me on one of my RJ's !  Glad to see this posting !  It helps   all of us RJ owners!   And like my wife says: " You look but you don't see " ! 

SMITTY

Will get some more made will post when I have them. $22.00 per set including shipping

SolarGuru

Smitty, please put me down for a set.  I test drove the horse this afternoon with the correctly installed front end/axle and the steering is now OK, i.e., it turns the same amount both left and right with no locking at the extremes.  It's still rather lose, but hopefully, the new pins will take most of that out.

Jon

• Like 1

SolarGuru

Got the clevis pins from Smitty yesterday.  I installed them and took a test drive today.  What a nice difference they make.  Again, thanks Smitty.

Jon