craigbic

Question about removing snow blower from 314-8

brianc423

I have to say, I don't know if anyone else has other non WH equipment and tried putting a plow or blower on a JD for any other brand, they are not necessarily easy or quick compared to a WH. Plus, attachments and parts for say an older JD are not nearly as easy to find. When I installed the flag for my blower I just got on my '86 310-8, I didnt seem to have trouble, just used a key style cotter pin.

-Brian

• Like 1

brianc423

Oh and out of curiosity, do you guys have keep the lift assist spring attached too with the flag if you leave it on?

• Like 1

craigbic

Oh and out of curiosity, do you guys have keep the lift assist spring attached too with the flag if you leave it on?

Since I originally posted the question and what with all the snow Massachusetts has been dumped with the last month, I have become an "old pro" at swapping back and forth between the plow and snow blower - being able to do it in under 10 minutes. During the first  3 or 4 swaps I did, I wondered if I should leave the lift assist spring on the flag. When you look at it dangling there with the plow attached, it looks like it might interfere with the raising and lowering of the plow. Despite that, on the next swap, I tried leaving the spring attached and everything seemed hunky-dory for an hour or two until "something" knocked out one of the clip pins to the plow frame lift linkage which is right where the flag and lift spring are. The plow dropped to the ground and stayed there. Perhaps the clip pin just finally broke but I wasn't taking a chance so I immediately replaced the clip pin and then removed the blower's lift assist sprint. I left the flag attached. Since then, I've done several more swaps and I haven't had any problems.

varosd

On the 520's (at least 88/89)  I just have to remove a dash plate held on by 4 screws and its right below!

one bad shoulder and now the left one is messed up. I'm all hydro lift with the 520 with thrower and 416-H with the blade.

Forest Road

Since I originally posted the question and what with all the snow Massachusetts has been dumped with the last month, I have become an "old pro" at swapping back and forth between the plow and snow blower - being able to do it in under 10 minutes. During the first 3 or 4 swaps I did, I wondered if I should leave the lift assist spring on the flag. When you look at it dangling there with the plow attached, it looks like it might interfere with the raising and lowering of the plow. Despite that, on the next swap, I tried leaving the spring attached and everything seemed hunky-dory for an hour or two until "something" knocked out one of the clip pins to the plow frame lift linkage which is right where the flag and lift spring are. The plow dropped to the ground and stayed there. Perhaps the clip pin just finally broke but I wasn't taking a chance so I immediately replaced the clip pin and then removed the blower's lift assist sprint. I left the flag attached. Since then, I've done several more swaps and I haven't had any problems.

Well done Craig! Apparently it's your fault that Boston has received record snowfall. Shall we assume you're happy with your purchase?

• Like 1

craigbic

Well done Craig! Apparently it's your fault that Boston has received record snowfall. Shall we assume you're happy with your purchase?

Yes! Extremely happy with my purchase!

Another update: I tried leaving the spring on again, but this time with the plow's pin clip on the opposite side so it couldn't get knocked out by the spring (if that's what really happened) after which I plowed through several storms without the clip falling out. That said, when I tried to swap back to the snow blower, I found that the spring still being on didn't allow the snow blower to push up high enough into the front bracket to lock into place. Had to go underneath with a wrench and back off the spring tension to get the blower on and then retension the spring. So it didn't save any work.

brianc423

I have decided to leave the spring attached to the tractor...but I take the flag off. Since its just a quick clip for me. What takes longer is the damn belt. Haha.