wheel horse man

First snow and 312-8 wont start?

wheel horse man

I never have had a problem starting my 312-8 went to the yard barn to start it with a wind chill of 20below zero throttle cables frozen took a hair dryer every year to un thaw choke and throttle cables tractor would keep cranking but no fire i choked it full and half . Then checked to see if i had spark plenty of spark checked for fuel i am geting plenty of fuel so i took the spark plug out and it was wet i turned engine over with choke off and spark plug out to get it un flooded then took spark plug and wire brushed it and heated it with a lighter to help it combusted the fuel better put the plug back in and still no start i also even ran a hair dryer in the the air filter to get warm air in the combustion chamber still not one fire of the engine i will not use starter fluid because its hard on an engine so what can i do to get it started

Lane Ranger

In this extremely cold weather an old battery may not have all the cranking power you need.  Gasoline might separate a little too -giving water in fuel a chance to be troublesome.  I would change plug  just to see it that might be issue also.  

• Like 2

Molon_Labe

I agree with Lane, sounds like a fouled spark plug.

• Like 1

Tankman

Change the plug, jump the battery while trying the starter. Starter fluid is rough, just a quick squirt. No more. You can also try a quick spray of carb cleaner.

At 20° below, starting any gas machinery can be difficult.

Post results.

Edited by Tankman

wheel-mule

WD 40 makes great starting fluid and will not hurt the engine.I would also change the plug,just because it has spark out side the engine does not mean it will fire under compression.Also remove the float bowl and made sure it does not have water in it.Plug may be wet but it might be water not gas.

Edited by wheel-mule

wheel horse man

Can i use a e3 spark plug and if i can what part number would it be

Forest Road

Agree with everyone else. Change the plug and do a jump start. That kind of cold makes everything hard to start.

skrusins

I use WD 40 also

wheel horse man

Got it running to day put a new plug in it went to the dealer ship got me a new throttle cable run perfect now

Molon_Labe

Glad you got it going, it pays to have a spare plug laying around!