Sign in to follow this  
COMB2

RPM

COMB2

Is there a way to find out what rpm your motor is turning the pto? Got a genorator that clips into the front of my B-80 and it is rated for 3600 rpm I don't want to over due it. I think the K181 is only rated for 3600rpm if I remember right :banghead: but who is to say I hooked up the governor correct when I rebuilt it :USA:

TT

Stroboscopes, sirometers, tachometers, etc. can be used to check the RPM, but since you're setting up a generator, use a readily-available multi-meter to read the output voltage of the generator at one of the receptacles. That way you'll be certain that the output voltage is correct. :banghead:

(adjust the throttle cable bracket to yield +/- 120 V.A.C. at W.O.T.)

COMB2

Didn't think of setting it for WOT. I'll have a settng o I can keep it there. When I did rev it to WOT where it's set to now I was getting around 145volts. Trying to find the right throttle amount to keep it in the 115 range was tricky

wh500special

I'm not terribly familiar with setting up a generator, but from my experience with them the voltage you will measure under "no load" conditions will be significantly higher than 115V. When you load them up to - say - half capacity the voltage should then fall in the 110-125V range.

The 3600 RPM rating on your alternator unit actually coincides with the 60 Hz frequency that is standard for AC in the US. If your DVOM has a frequency setting, just plug the two probes into the 110V outlet and adjust RPM on the engine until you get around 60 Hz, then you'll know when you're at 3600 RPM. Then you can switch to voltage and see how you stand there as well.

My neighbor was having trouble with the engine on his permanent standby generator one day and asked me to come over and help him. i recall from the manual on that unit that the no load frequency was set at 65 Hz or so. presumably under load it drops back to closer to 60 Hz as the engine slows down.

So, what happens if you're frequency is off? You won't notice it in incandescent lighting or resistive loads, but AC motors will run at different speeds depending of frequency. And clocks won't keep proper time. As long as you don't overload things though you won't need to worry.

Steve

bowtieguy

I remember a guy at the 06 show that had a Habour Freight gen mounted on the front of his WH...he showed me how to check the correct RPM....he plugged in an electric clock (with second hand) and checked it with his wrist watch....when they matched the 60 second cycle, he was ready to go ...sounds kinda funny but guess it would take some of the guess work out of it!!!

COMB2

Thanks Guys. Good info. I will get some pics later when I do some testing

COMB2

Hey also for tweeking the rpms? There are 2 stops on the pto for belts the outside one. Then the larger diamiter inside one. What kind of difference is there between the two? Or is it a multiple of what the the rpm the engine is running? :banghead:

htopjimmy26

I could be wrong but the book says that your max rpm should be 3600 so run it wide open and use the pto pulley that is the same size as the pulley on the generator and you should be runnin@3600rpm :D :hide:

htopjimmy26

Oops :hide: , I reread you post and I missed the part about the max RPM setting possibly being wrong :hide: , Umm maybe a good time to look at one of those neat direct drive tachs so you could set up you high speed? :D

linen beige

Is there a way to find out what rpm your motor is turning the pto? Got a genorator that clips into the front of my B-80 and it is rated for 3600 rpm I don't want to over due it. I think the K181 is only rated for 3600rpm if I remember right :hide: but who is to say I hooked up the governor correct when I rebuilt it :D

The generator is rated at 3600 rpms. Unless the engine pulley is exactly the same size as the generator pulley they will have to run at different speeds. The easiest way to do this, short of using a meter that reads frequency, is to use the clock plugged into the generator and comparing it to a wrist watch to set the frequancy (cycles in Hz.).