nrowles

What Model(s) Am I Looking For?

nrowles

This may be a pretty broad question, but I'm new to the Wheel Horses and you guys may be able to point me in the right direction.  I'm looking to get a real WORKHORSE.  I already have a 1981 C145 so I'm looking pre 1978 just to have something that looks a little different.  My research so far has led me to a mid 70's C-160 (or something similar) or a D Series. 

One that is powerful and I can do some driveway work as far as grading and moving dirt.  I may be interested in putting a bucket on it for dirt, stone, mulch, etc.

Reliable and easy to repair because my skill set is somewhat limited (I have some knowledge on the K321 on my C145 so probably looking for Kohler).  Not rare and expensive as far as machine/parts/repairs. 

One that has headlights or can have headlights mounted. 

Other thoughts that I have no idea on for this purpose would be auto vs manual and manual vs hydraulic lift.  Not sure if either of those are important.

Any Suggestions?  Thanks.

• Like 1

Geno

I have a 1980 C145 8sp myself.  C 160's are great tractors to work with, I have 4 of them also, you won't be disappointed.    :) 

rmaynard

For serviceability, availability of parts, toughness and overall good looks, a 1977 C-160 is a good bet in my opinion.

• Like 1

Racinbob

:text-yeahthat: I agree 100% on the 76-77 C series. The D series would be better with the bucket but they are a more 'complicated' machine and attachments are harder to find.

nrowles

For serviceability, availability of parts, toughness and overall good looks, a 1977 C-160 is a good bet in my opinion.

Any particular reason you specified a 1977?

• Like 1

Racinbob

That question isn't directed towards me but I'll toss my opinion out anyways. The 76 and 77 C's are the same. Starting in 78 they made some changes. More sheet metal on the hood tower is one of them and I preferred the simpler look iof the earlier models. In 78 they also stopped mounting the motor directly to the frame and started using what I refer to as a 'wobbly mount'. I hated that mount but that's just my :twocents-twocents::)

Edited by Racinbob
  • Like 3

Hodge71

So whats wrong with a 1974-76 C-160?

Racinbob

Absolutely nothing Jeff. I was just referring to the two years they were identical in regards to the 77 Bob mentioned. I type too slow to list all the great choices. I believe it was 71 or 72 when they changed to the front mule drive setup which I feel would be a better choice than the older style based on what nrowles is looking for. The earlier C's are an outstanding choice as well. I'm thinking the only difference in the 74-75 was that you got the cool little hood ornament that didn't come on them in 76. :)

Edited by Racinbob
  • Like 2

oldredrider

The '74 and '75 also had the flip up seat pan. The '77 auto also had the optional lift rod to the rear instead of the cable.

Edited by oldredrider

rmaynard

Any particular reason you specified a 1977?

1977 had fewer parts variations.

Ken B

I wouldn't pass up a newer 416-8 myself. Might be a little easier too find and being that its newer hopefully less hrs and wear and tear on it...

Tankman

Gotta like the '85 416-8's! For the longest time the 12 hp Kohlers were my go to Horses. The one cylinder Kohlers are #1 in my history.

I've only ever had one hydro, a great '73 "No Name" 12 hp Kohler too.

Front mule drive is a must. Flip up seat, gotta have one (or more naturally).

Very difficult question. So many great Stallions! Looks like we need a poll?  :eusa-think:

squonk

My 76 C -160 that has both the cool ornament and the flip up seat pan. Also the pre 80's tractors the rock shaft is easier to get to to connect snow blower flag ect.

Edited by squonk
  • Like 1

nrowles

I'm wanting something that looks different as long as it performs. That's why I was saying pre 78. I know looks don't get the work done but if the pre 78 gets it done that's probably what I'm looking for. I really like the appearance of the C-160.

nrowles

I have been looking at available tractors the last few days and what the asking prices are just to get an idea.  I have been seeing a lot of GT14's for sale.  Can somebody give me an idea of what these tractors are like as far as getting work done and etc.?  As you can see earlier in the thread I was leaning towards a C-160, but these GT14's seem to be readily available unless it is just a timing thing.  And they seem to be cheaper.  Running with blade and around $500.  Seems like a good price.  It also has the same exact motor as my C-145 so that's nice.  And they are a heavy tractor.  Does this model fit my description in OP?

scotty

If it was me for a workhorse it would more than likely be a 520h. Good hydro transmission. Motor has power to spare on any job that i have seen. And ive never had one problem getting a part for it. The hydro makes some jobs easier than having to shift.

As far a GT-14 id make sure to do the hydro test. I had a GT-14 with a hydro and the hydro could barely back into my garage. I turned it into an 8 speed. My GT-14 is a beast and i never had any other problems with it though. But i knew my hydro was semi bad when i bought it.

Edited by scotty

dcrage

nrowles

Never owned or been around GT-14 and I am not an expert -- But my memory from reading this forum for the last 5 yrs is that

1) GT-14s are beasts when you have a good one; I guess they were the top of the line back in 1969-71 BUT

2) Some of the implements are only for GT-14s; you lose the interchangeablity (is that a word?) that you have with Bs, Cs, 300s, 400s, 500s

• Like 1

AJ_Thanatos

Absolutely nothing Jeff. I was just referring to the two years they were identical in regards to the 77 Bob mentioned. I type too slow to list all the great choices. I believe it was 71 or 72 when they changed to the front mule drive setup which I feel would be a better choice than the older style based on what nrowles is looking for. The earlier C's are an outstanding choice as well. I'm thinking the only difference in the 74-75 was that you got the cool little hood ornament that didn't come on them in 76. :)

And I like the hood ornament! 

post-13750-0-53771100-1421416084_thumb.j

Thats my 74' C-100 with the ornament! 

Edited by AJ_Thanatos
  • Like 2