"D"- Man

Steering Bell Crank Cast Iron or Cast Steel?

"D"- Man

Would anyone know if the Steering Bell Crank on an 18 Automatic is Cast Iron or Cast Steel?  Aside from brazing, what would be the best way to weld one? 

post-3038-0-04524500-1420687174_thumb.jp

squonk

I'd say cast iron. And even if it's steel I'd take to someone who knows how to weld iron. Pre heat, nickel rod and slow cool down.

• Like 3

stephan07

I would second having some who wekd cast iron fix it. on a high stress part having done correctly is very important.

Save Old Iron

• Like 3

pacer

Its cast - definitely! and as others have said, it needs to be done by a knowledgeable welder. Cast is can be welded easily by a professional, but can be a problem in the average home shop. Thats not to say it CAN'T be done at home, but if you arent sure go and get it done right,

857 horse

THIS IS JUST A THOUGHT,,,,,

WATCH THE PLACES WHERE YOU CAN FIND A USED ONE...

NOT CRACKED...MOST LIKLEY THE COST OF WELDING IT

JUST  A THOUGHT....

AND WHEN IT SNOWS,,PLOW A NEIGHBORS DRIVEWAY....YOU GET A FRESH BAKED PIE

LIKE I DO..  LOLOLLO

buckrancher

Part should be cast steel looks to be to flimsy for cast iron

Brian

wallfish

Apparently the trick to welding it is not knowing it's an issue. I cut the ears off of all 4 cast steel clevis ends for the cylinder rods on my backhoe and welded on steel tubes. Used the cut cast end so I didn't have to weld tubes directly on to the chrome plated rods. 6 years of hydraulic ram pressure pushing and pulling at full force and never had a problem. I had no idea it could be a problem. Beginners luck!

Cast iron is a different story.

post-658-0-91453000-1420853658.jpg

"D"- Man

Thanks, gentlemen for the replies.  The Bell Crank pictured was on an 18 Automatic that had a flat front tire and was setting for years.  I tried to turn the steering wheel too far and it snapped.  I am not actually inquiring about this, in order to repair the one in this picture, however; I am doing a modification on the steering to accommodate larger tie-rod ends, and consequently needed more room between the Bell Crank and frame.  So to accomplish this I  cut out a section of a different Bell Crank and wanted to have it welded to my good one. This will also require that I  cut and weld a section of a second bushing to the same height as the extended Bell Crank, and additionally a second grease zirk.  I gave these pieces to my nephew and he in turn is going to have his welder friend see if he can weld them.