Coley909

Charging at 20 volts!?!?

JustinW.73

U sure the battery in the volt meter is good. I've gotten false readings from a bad meter battery.

Coley909

Pretty positive

JustinW.73

I'd double check. Very easy thing to do. 99% of the time it isn't but theres always that chance.

Coley909

Ill check it when I do my adjustment on the regulator

KyBlue

Don't have much to add but good luck! I know you'll get it figured out.

• Like 1

Coley909

I sure hope for something so simple it's getting really frustrating

RubyCon1

U sure the battery in the volt meter is good. I've gotten false readings from a bad meter battery.

the 99 cent harbor freight meters are notorious for this :eek:

• Like 1

Save Old Iron

Bad (high) readings are possible with aging meter batteries but the believable 12.6 volts measured at the battery suggests the meter battery is OK. Most digital meters have some sort of low battery warning on the display.

You can measure the battery in your car to check if the meter is correct.

Edited by Save Old Iron
  • Like 1

Save Old Iron

I'll ask this a third time and I'll keep it short and sweet so as not to distract.

If you remove the F field wire from the SG, does the 20 volts drop to near zero volts ?  It's OK to reply "I don't know which wire is the field wire".

• Like 1

Coley909

I will check it along with what geno asked me. I've been working and haven't had a chance in the day light to go out and check yet.

Coley909

Sg drops to near zero when field is removed. 22 steady otherwise. Battery is slowly charging at battery and voltage at battery terminal on regulator are between 13.5 and 14 half throttle not much difference at full still within that spectrum. Battery is sitting around 11.8 to 12.2 currently at half throttle

• Like 1

Coley909

2cb84676b51429f90a2d620672bb8662.jpg11ad502879600c89e2719282449a7ffa.jpg2bf76a8c0c5bd5270b54ec13a2a2dfc2.jpg

This is how it's wired currently. I didn't adjust anything because it looks nothing like the diagram from the forum on how to adjust it.

Geno

Check the ground on the regulator body, you can run a wire from the mount to the neg of the battery if you like.  If there is voltage to the Bat terminal from the battery and a good ground to the regulator body then that's enough considering someone got paid to fix the rest.  If nothing changes  call the person who's already been paid to make it charge and let them fix it.   :) 

• Like 1

Molon_Labe

Good point Geno because some of the older regulators had an isolated (above ground) mount.

• Like 1

Coley909

it doesn't have a good ground, Didn't help much but it did help. Picked up to around 12.5 at the battery this time i could take the negative on and off watching voltage drop down to 11.6 to 12.5ish so I will add that when i get it back but i think I should take the tractor back. I swear it sounds like the regulator is squeeling. 

• Like 1

Geno

Sounds like it's all worked out then.  Let the rebuilder fix what he is supposed to fix then make sure you have a good ground path when you get it back and you'll be good to go.   :handgestures-thumbsup:

Coley909

Will do ill call him tomorrow and keep you guys updated.

• Like 1

Coley909

Update tractor was finished today free of charge even though at first they blamed me. Turns out the voltage reg went to full field what ever that means so they replaced and boom 14 volts charging

• Like 1

Geno

I don't know why business have to blame the customer first.  :eusa-doh:   I haven't done that in my business and it comes back to you tenfold.  It's nice that you got it all sorted out and didn't have to pay any more!   :)

Coley909

Thanks geno I'm happy it's back and working even though it is to cold to snow at the moment to get to use it

• Like 1

Geno

There's plenty of Winter left... 

Coley909

I hope so

Save Old Iron

Sg drops to near zero when field is removed. 22 steady otherwise. Battery is slowly charging at battery and voltage at battery terminal on regulator are between 13.5 and 14 half throttle not much difference at full still within that spectrum. Battery is sitting around 11.8 to 12.2 currently at half throttle

That is how the reg works. Full field or partially on and switching rapidly between those two voltages - thus "averaging out" to 14.something. This is also why the relay contacts BUZZZZZZZZZZZ.

If you can correct the over voltage by removing the field wire, the issue is the reg or the reg wiring.

Glad it worked out for you.

• Like 1

Save Old Iron

Full field on a dc generator is when the field coils inside the generator are connected directly to ground and not thru any external resistors (those wire wound elements on the bottom of the reg).

Full fielding causes maximum voltage output from the generator.

Edited by Save Old Iron
  • Like 1