OhioGuy89

No Electrical power

OhioGuy89

Hi folks, me again. So I've managed to piece together my 520-H after tearing it apart, and after a night of charging the battery, I went to,turn the key and have no electrical power whatsoever, being that it has Sat for a couple months, do you think that the battery,,even though just two years old, could be completely dead? 0d3348700db8d013e1c6780c877d9894.jpg

Also, I have a pic of the voltage regulator, and I am having trouble getting a clip on. Any suggestions?

Matt

snowhound

I've never worked on a 520 but on the models I have worked on an open safety switch would make it seem like there was a dead battery when you turn the key, that is nothing happens.. 

Ed

OhioGuy89

Hmm. Any idea where such a safety switch could be ?

km3h

When you say you have no power, what do you mean? When turning the key do any of the gages move. Do the lights work?

• Like 1

can whlvr

hook up battery cables off your car or truck,then you will know if its a wiring issue or battery,then you can start lookin for loose wires,fuses,and especially connectors,they get loose and corrode

Shuboxlover

On 520's there are PTO safety switches and a neutral safety switch.  I think those are the only ones that would prevent it from starting.  There is also a seat switch, but that won't stop it from running if the PTO switch is not active.  Things to check....Battery (as mentioned)........FUSES!!!!........Ignition switch.......safety switches........One thing you can try quick to see if your battery is dead, put a pair of pliers across two big terminals on the starter, you're taking everything else out of the equation.  If the starter engages when you do that, the battery is good.  Turn the key to the on position and see if it will start.  That might help narrow things down.

OhioGuy89

I'll check those things out. When I mean no power, what I mean is when I turn the key, the gauges don't even turn on before I turn the key to start the tractor. No gauges, no lights. etc.

boovuc

Make sure your fuses are all OK. There should three fuses in the fuse block. The 15 amp fuse is for the gauges/lights. 25 amp is the main fuse. The 30 amp is the starter circuit. If your fuses are all OK, you have to make sure your safety switches are working or if you must, by-pass them. You must be sitting in the seat, you CANNOT have the PTO engaged and you must have the transmission in neutral and you should have the parking brake engaged or your foot depressing the brake pedal. Double check your connections since you had it apart. Voltage regulator. Solenoid, the connectors from the motor to the electrical system, a good ground, etc.

rmaynard

First thing you need to do is go to Walmart or similar store and buy a multimeter or at least a test light.

• Like 2

OhioGuy89

Found my multimeter. Checked the fuses and battery. Fuses checked out fine. Battery shows 13.83 V

wmsue

Are you sure the fused wire that connects to the ign switch is connected to the HOT side of the starter solenoid? 

I spent a lot of time finding that mistake I made one time.

Good Luck

Bill

OhioGuy89

I just figured it out! It was the stupid motion lever safety switch. The parking brake wasn't on, so the switch wasn't activated. Derp.

oldredrider

It may have been a "duh" moment, but posting your findings after solving problems helps others.

Been there, done that!

boovuc

Quote from my post above:

"You must be sitting in the seat, you CANNOT have the PTO engaged and you must have the transmission in neutral and you should have the parking brake engaged or your foot depressing the brake pedal. Double check your connections since you had it apart. Voltage regulator. Solenoid, the connectors from the motor to the electrical system, a good ground, etc."

You wanna know why I suggested that? Because I have sat on my tractor(s) for a good long while wondering why it wouldn't start!  :) 

Glad that is all that was wrong! 

bmsgaffer

Haha, yep!

I've had a "non-running" tractor that I was diagnosing for two days 'cause I left the PTO engaged. There was no deck attached, so I just didnt think about it. :handgestures-thumbupright:

OhioGuy89

Got one more question for you guys, I went and got a galvanized bolt to conect my positive terminal because I lost the original one. When I go to turn the key to start the igntion, the positive terminal sends up sparks. Any reason why this could be?

N3PUY

Dirty, corroded, oxidized connection.  Take the terminal off and shine-up both the wire terminal and the battery terminal.  Reassemble and coat with battery term protector or grease.

The spark is the electricity jumping across the dirt. 

Edited by N3PUY