rexman72

toro snowthrower model 79360

rexman72

Any one know what the chain length is and size for this snow thrower.I want to have one made up as a spare.

williamone

No I don't know chain size. sorry, but I do have a snow blower for sale single stage...

Kurt-NEPA

The single stage 79360 uses a number 40 chain (1/2" pitch).  Best price I could find was TSC.  Not sure about the length, I just cut mine the same number of links as the old one.

Wyattrrp

I run a 79360 with serial # in the 210000200 range.  Pretty sure it is same for others but double check.

If the chain is loose to the point of maximum adjustment on the bottom chain adjustment bolt slot or loose and rusty or binding at all, I would suggest you change it instead of having a spare on hand. A broken chain can do damage and wrap around the shaft binding the shaft and ripping the blower auger housing and stopping the auger immediately, which can also do damage. Search for photos of that on here.  At TSC a 10 foot #40 Roller Chain is $20.  It takes roughly 4.5 ft to make a new blower chain so $10 for peace of mind and not having to change it during a blizzard.  I see I wrote on my last chain box, with another 5+ ft as a spare, that it took 51 Male Links, including the Male Master.  Your new chain would end with dual female links on each end for the 51st male master link.  No harm replacing that link too as it is about $3 for a pair of #40 master links at TSC. Actually the 10 ft box comes with 1 new master link included in the box.

On here you can search for how to cut the chain by grinding one side of the pin that passes thru the male link you want to remove then by placing a 1/4 inch socket on the bench standing up and placing the pin centered on the socket opening and tapping the pin out downward thru the socket with a punch once the top end knob of the pin is flush with  the female link. Simple enough. Then it will be quieter running the blower than a stretched chain and only takes less than an hour total, if you have a grinder and punch.  Probably best to remove a functional stretched or binding chain and count the original links yourself for sure.

For about $11 changing every few years is cheap enough.  Also using a spray can of chain oil that dirt bikes or motorcycles or bikes use, so the oil doesn't fly off easily, will make it stay like new longer too.

Just my 2 cents.    

And research on here also so you can see how to use the old chain to wrap a front tire around the center of the tread. Let air out, cut the chain w length to be snug in the center of the soft tire and add the masterlink.  Then add air to make the linear tire chain tight as it expands.  Chain running front to back, not across the tire like rear chains. Really helps steering on icy or packed snow.

Good luck

Wyatt

• Like 1

Forest Road

Best advice is to change it every year. A worn chain will damage the teeth on each gear forming a sharp point. Chain runs $10-20 for 10 ft of #40 and some links. Also gives you a chance to inspect/replace idler bearings etc. before the storm.

My bicycle chains run $75 - $120 and get replaced annually. To replace the gears would run several hundred on each bike. Once the chain stretches beyond limits, measured with a bicycle chain gauge, they're junk. I've gone through several bike chains in a single year.

Edited by Forest Road

rexman72

very good information guys and I am going down to Tractor Supply and get a chain.

squonk

Check those sprocket bearings too! 

Kurt-NEPA

TSC carries the idler sprockets also.  Check them before you make the trip.

Wyattrrp

Rexman

If replacing the idler sprockets, which is a good idea if they are worn, wobbly or teeth sharply pointed, they are simply held by a single 1/2" bolt with spacer.  Don't lose the spacer in removal.

TSC carries both the #40 Roller Chain and a #40 Idler Sprocket and it has 17 teeth, not the original 18 teeth on Factory idler sprockets you remove.  That is ok to get the 17 tooth #40 sprocket with 1/2 Inch bore for the bolt attachment. It will work fine allowing a tiny bit more allowance for future adjustment.

However I found that the chain is only $20 and at the store no postage fee and it weighs a lot.  But the #40 17 tooth idler sprockets are $20 each at TSC.  You have 2 of them in the blower #79360.  So add $40 if need both or want a spare when keeping the blower for many years.

I found that the chain weighs so much the best bet is buy it at TSC as shipping costs make in more $$ than picking it up at TSC . However the idler sprockets weigh a lot less, so a cheaper way than spending $40 more $$ at TSC is to go to

www.thebigbearingstore.com

In the lower left of the home page menu click Roller Chain, then Sprockets, then Idler Sprockets #40.  You will find the same #40 idler sprocket 17 tooth for $8.25. All are made in China but these look just as good as TSC China sprockets I had bought after 3 trips to the TSC store when they were out of stock each trip, and either one is a sealed bearing.  Add 1 to cart at 1/2 inch bore and at checkout choose US Post Office 1st class delivery not UPS by default.  USPS for 1 sprocket adds $4.72 1st class to the $8.25 sprocket for about $13 for 1.  So not a lot cheaper saving $7 over TSC at $20. Chain at TSC is no brainer due to shipping.

But if buying 2 idler sprockets the shipping drops per unit so yields $16.50 for 2 sprockets + USPS $7.94 = $24.44 total for 2.  Delivered to your mail box within 3 days. At least to my area code in Mass. = $12.22 per sprocket. Not $20 at TSC.   Save $15.56 if you can wait the few days.  I find that thebigbearingstore.com ships same day or next day from my past experience.

If you need blower drive shaft bearings or drive chain sprocket ever, let me know and the same place is cheap, fast and has specs on sizes of each critical bore size and teeth/keyway or lubed vs sealed too.

My blower has run the idlers for 3 years now and still strong, not wobbling as original sprockets that were 2 halves riveted together. 

If you order do make sure you selected the 1/2 inch bore as it has a choice for another size.

I agree check the idler sprockets condition and if need 2, then check this site out.  If only one, probably not worth the savings when you can pick it up on the same trip to TSC (maybe if it is stock).

Just my 2 cents.  I prefer the $15.50 in my pocket than theirs. LOL.

Wyatt