music100

tsc paint

music100

Mornin' I see a lot of negative comments about the tsc Majic brand of paint, could someone tell me what exactly the problem is. Doesn't cover, doesn't dry, won't hold up, all of the above. Wondering as I may try to repaint one of my 414's this spring and curious about this. Thanks, John

digger466

fades in a short time

rmaynard

It takes months to fully dry.

• Like 2

pacer

It takes months to fully dry.

I'll second that!!

For a large number of us that arent after a show tractor, just a nice looking, inexpensive paint job with the convenience of having it in either a rattle can or quarts, its hard to beat Rustoleum.

• Like 2

the_nite_owl

I just used some of the tsc paint on one of my rims. It goes on super thin and runs. I could not avoid runs in the paint no matter how carefully and lightly I sprayed. It was white paint and went on so thin it took many sprays to cover the bleed through from the primer underneath.

music100

Thanks guys, hard to believe they still have it on the shelf. Will go with Rustoleum since it will be a back up worker. John

bowtieguy

I think there is a thread about this paint (search no find??) but in short someone contacted the mfg and the summary was:

TSC wanted a cheaper paint so the mfgr added more CLAY to the product....thus clay holds moisture and paint stays wet.....my 2cents

I sent a message to Corp TSC and told them what I thought.....of course, no reply.....I call my TSC store now a TG&Y junk store!!!....all the while remembering my first job out of college was TSC store mgr in KS....but it was an AGRI STORE back then.

Edited by bowtieguy

19richie66

I painted an old fuel oil tank with it and it took over a week before you could even touch it without leaving a fingerprint. Months later its hard as a rock but who wants to wait that long for paint to dry? Not happy with it.

• Like 2

Tankman

Not happy at all with TSC's Majic. 

Have had excellent results usin' Rustoleum Regal Red and Duplicolor's Heavy Duty Wheel paint. Silver Duplicolor wheel paint for the 400's and 500's.

For white rims, I use Rustoleum off white, linen or whatever it's called (can in barn, to check color).

I might add the Duplicolor Vinyl & Fabric paint is tops. Black on a grey tractor seat (pic below), excellent, Red for my pickup fabric seats and a throw rug (an apple front of the 'fridge floor) for the Mrs. Holds up great.

• Like 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

I did the rustoleum rattle can regal red on the 854. Totally happy with it. The 500 I bought a gallon of the IH red ,, valspar. Was going to do the hvlp job in the spring. From additional things I read. Not sure if I will be ok with that choice. My 2 cents.

Glenn

Mr. 856

Bottom line is if you can buy it from a big box store then it simply wont cut the bread or not for very long anyways. Save your pennies and at minimal get some Paint from eastwood. Single stage urethane will run you $100+ a gallon. I wasted so much money on rattle cans only to chip/scratch the part with minimal effort. Thankfully I recently made the move to powder coat and don't think I will look back to paint. I use what I own.....I want my paint job to hold up for years without having to work about it and so they should.

Ken B

I did the rustoleum rattle can regal red on the 854. Totally happy with it. The 500 I bought a gallon of the IH red ,, valspar. Was going to do the hvlp job in the spring. From additional things I read. Not sure if I will be ok with that choice. My 2 cents.

Glenn

Glenn if you liked using the Rusto Regal red the Valspar is much better than that. As long as you thin it properly and use the hardener it is much better. The last tractor i painted with Valspar I wet sanded and buffed it to a mirror shine two days after I painted it, It looked real nice prior to wet sanding and buffing but I was going for super shine...

• Like 1

KyBlue

Glenn if you liked using the Rusto Regal red the Valspar is much better than that. As long as you thin it properly and use the hardener it is much better. The last tractor i painted with Valspar I wet sanded and buffed it to a mirror shine two days after I painted it, It looked real nice prior to wet sanding and buffing but I was going for super shine...

Just be sure to put in the hardner for that gallon of Valspar Red ...

smoreau

Just wish they still carried valspar paint. I picked up 3 gallons with hardner and thinner. Also 10 rattle cans. Had to go to 4 stores to get it all.

KyBlue

Lowes ...

Ken B

Lowes ...

Lowes carries Valspar but nothing in the way of restoration series paints..

• Like 1

KyBlue

Lowes carries Valspar but nothing in the way of restoration series paints..

Mine told me they could order it, but searching the site turns up nothing, though that doesn't mean they can't get it.  Amazon lists it however...

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Valspar%C2%AE+Tractor+%26+Implement+Enamel+Paint+

Edited by KyBlue

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Ky, thats the gallon I bought. I dont see restoration series on it anywhere,,uh oh. Lol

Glenn

Ken. I will contact you for the mix formula in the future. Dr. Ken Jekel........formula pro

Glenn

• Like 1

KyBlue

Yeah, I know... Valspar site doesn't list anything on the restoration series ... I've used the gallon I linked to, and apparently you have, with good results.  I'll never paint a tractor with it, or with a rattle can but that's my choice, and not a slam against the product. Having access to PPG and DuPont Paints easily, as well as all the equipment and facilities to Spray it correctly, it's a no brainer for me.

Good Luck :)

• Like 1

smoreau

This was the good stuff for its price. A lot cheaper then automotive paints and easy to put on. Some thought it had a orangy tint to it, but I'm color blind and it looked great to me. 0169146e77ffc36f531196b7d1afccab.jpg

• Like 2

squonk

I'm pretty sure The Restoration series was discontinued due to the ever changing EPA  VOC laws. I worked at Napa from 94 to 2004 and every 6 months Martin Senor came out with a new clear coat because the rules kept changing.

• Like 1

Don1977

i remember back in the late 60's when the EPA had the lead taken out of paint. I found some years later at a garage that worked on large trucks. I guess the EPA didn't know they sold paint.