Sign in to follow this  
Stigian

Howdo all from a newbie

Stigian

Howdo all, ive been lurking for a while now so thought it was about time i joined in the fun :(

Ian's the name, i live in Paddock Wood, Kent, Uk.

I used to be a Westwood man, not quite sure why now i think on it :( but they got the grass cut. Id always fancied a Wheel Horse and this years finally splashed out on a Commando 8 that needed a total restoration, it didnt even come with an engine that fitted :( The '8 was soon sold when a 1974 Raider 10 and a 312-8 suddenly filled up the space in my workshop :o

Heres a few photos for you, hope their not to big for you guys on dial-up :P

A Before photo with duels mocked in place, and an after its resto photo.

And a photo of my 312-8, in need of a good paint job but very good at cutting grass :o

Oh, and a big :D to Mith for pointing me in the direction of this forum.

100_1571.jpg

100_2092.jpg

100_1807.jpg

kj4kicks

Hi Ian. WELCOME !!

Thanks for the pix. Looks like you've got a great start on the resto project.

Eldon.

nylyon

Welcome Ian, nice looking group of horses you've got. Nice job on the restoration too. Are the WH parts readily available in the UK, or do require a lot of searching?

Rollerman

Stigian...WELCOME to the site :D

Were going Global!...good to have another member from across the pond.

CasualObserver

welcome.gif Ian!!

I like the "Raider 10" decal on the first picture, is that a standard UK version? I've not seen that before. Perhaps VinylGuy can expand his catalog into those versions for you?

T-Mo

Welcome, Ian. It's good to have another member from the UK. And great job on that Raider, btw. I have your 312-8's bigger brother, a 314-8. I hope to see more of your posts. Again, welcome.

Stigian

Cheers for all the comments guys :P

Eldon - The restoration is about 99.99% done, just a few nuts and bolts to paint and putting duels on the back. I think from new it had a headlamp blanking plate, but if i ever stumble across a headlamp unit for it, it will go on.

jschahl - I think (but might be wrong :o ) the stickers are standard Uk ones. I will get a complete set for it at some point, it was nice to see all the original stickers when i first bought it from an auction. The stickers were all too far gone to be removed in one piece but i did take loads of photos of em so i know what to get.

nylyon - Parts arnt too much of a problem over here, though i wish i we had the parts supply you guys have :( Tires are easy :( but expensive :D

Bearings easy, stickers no chance :o

Strange as it sounds finding a new drive belt can be a pain, at least both the Raider 10 and the 312-8 use the same belts B)

Thats it for now guys, once again cheers for all the warm welcomes :(

Im off down the workshop to build a snowplow/blade for the Raider :o

Mith

Welcome Ian, took your time to join eh!?

I can measure the drive belt if you want next time I have it off, then you can buy them for the price of a pint on the net.

MaineDad

Welcome to the forum...

The Raider is a great tractor. My kid's music teacher sold me this one which I gave to my brother; Nice job on the resto too!

WHRaider.jpg

Curmudgeon

Both tractors use a Wheel Horse part number 7473 drive belt. It's an HB/5L 81.95" long.

No measuring required if you have enough books! LOL

Dale

Stigian

Both tractors use a Wheel Horse part number 7473 drive belt. It's an HB/5L 81.95" long.

No measuring required if you have enough books! LOL

Dale

Thank you for that Dale, you have just saved me and Mith a measuring session :(

Books are very handy things if you have the right ones :D

Mith - better late than never to join eh :o Silly season and other things kept me away.

A belt for the price of pint :o sounds good to me :( Which website is it sir?

MaineDad - Love your Raider :P The pin strips look good down the hood :(

Mith

Try Bearing Boys.

The belt is an A82 I believe.

Stigian

Cheers Mith :D thats a handy site. Good price on the belts, i like the bearing prices as well :P

Curmudgeon

A 5L is 21/32" wide, which is comparable to a B belt. Notice though, it's also listed as an HB, an agricultural version of the B belt, which is why if you just put an A, B, 1/2 or 5/8 belt on instead of a standard Wheel Horse belt, odds are it's not going to last near as long.

So while you might save 30% of the cost, you could give up 75% of the life expectancy in the process.

Also note, it's not quite an exact replacement in length, though it's closer than some.

For all those reasons, I just get the correct belt from Wheel Horse.

Dale

Mith

Learn something new every day, I thought that the '5' related to the number of 1/10" on the width. I checked and you are right, 5L relates to a B belt. No idea where I got the 1/10" thing from?

I have been putting A section belts on WheelHorses for years, next time one fails I'll put a B on it (not had one fail yet....).

50 thou out on the length is not a big issue on a sprung tensioned system.

B82 is

BPjunk

Hello Ian,

If you can could you post the VIN and model number off of the data number plate of this Wheel Horse Raider? It is interesting to note that here in the United States Wheel Horse changed from Pro sports type model designation in 1973 and your tractor still retains that type of name (and mower deck desgin) and yet the the shift knobs on the tractor are 1975/1976 era. Any chance of a close up photo of the Raider decals? :D

Here is a side picture of my model B-60, notice the decal and flat top shift knobs, this is a 1976 model.

Bill in Richmond, Va.

Attached Image

post-3-1199584629.jpg

Stigian
B82 is

Stigian

Just order a couple of B82 belts at a grand price of