1978c81

Tall Shoot Snow Blower ?

1978c81

I am about to purchase a tall shoot blower. It was only used a handful of times and been in storage for 10 years. It's supposedly in perfect shape. He won't budge at $500. What you all think. Close on the price?

post-11993-0-72925400-1419881332_thumb.j

kiotiken

Ya a little high but where you going to find another one in that condition? It will last a long time. Good luck

cleat

Make sure you get all the brackets, lift rod etc. with it.

Cleat

Forest Road

Ya a little high but where you going to find another one in that condition? It will last a long time. Good luck

X2!!!

Kept mine when I rebuilt 2 stage just because they're getting scarce. In

Most storms it's much better than a 2 stage.

1978c81

That's what I was feeling. High but tough to find in great condition.

squonk

Just make sure it WAS used little. I bought a blower 2 yrs ago for half that. Looked brand new. After I got to using it I noticed the chain was slapping and no more adjustment was left. When I was done not only did I have to replace the chain, but it also needed both idler sprockets because the bearings were shot

MalMac

I am right there squonk, samething happen to me. Check it out good.

Forest Road

Like a bicycle or motorcycle chain. A new chain every year is cheaper than all new cogs.

Hydro

I did the same thing as MalMac and squonk.  By the time I was done $300.00 later it was a good thrower.  Bearings, chain and idlers are really important to check.  Any lube on the chain and idlers will be long dried up.

can whlvr

it also depends if there are lots of throwers around,around me not very many tall shooters,so 500 for a mint one would be about what guys would ask,up here anyway

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

I would like to see the front,,auger blade and center of auger that flips the snow out. That will tell you a awfull lot. Chains stretch, just adjusted mine. Lubrication is very important. 500 for this time of year even, very top end price. End of last year I literraly stole one ,,perfect shape,,little over 200. Trust me,,super super super clean. Pay now or save later. Imho. More pics would be nice, I allways like protective dirt on stuff. Good luck.

Glenn

1978c81

Awesome advice from everyone. I ended up buying it. Not perfect shape by any means but around here they are scarce and I'm happy overall.

• Like 1

1978c81

post-11993-0-38566400-1419990337_thumb.j

Only washed. Needs a good wax

• Like 2

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Awesome advice from everyone. I ended up buying it. Not perfect shape by any means but around here they are scarce and I'm happy overall.

If your happy. Thats all that matters. And clean ones are hard to find to.

Glenn

boovuc

Really wax up the inside of the chute and behind the blower tines. This will keep the snow from sticking and will help protect the finish from the rocks you'll inevitably run through it! 

1978c81

As I searched the web. I've noticed that most tall shoot blowers have a deflector of sorts at bottom of chute. It's a square piece of metal. Mine doesn't have one. Are they standard? Or certain years have them?

Hydro

As I searched the web. I've noticed that most tall shoot blowers have a deflector of sorts at bottom of chute. It's a square piece of metal. Mine doesn't have one. Are they standard? Or certain years have them?

1995/1996 not sure is when they added it.  Mine is 1994 and did not come with one.  You can buy them from Toro.  I made mine and painted it.

post-5559-0-75394800-1420041979.jpg

post-5559-0-41085800-1420042001.jpg

• Like 1

1978c81

Perfect

Hydro

Perfect

This chute guide does make a big difference.  

MalMac

I second what Hydro said. I put one on mine and it made a big difference. Lot more lift and more of a funneled direction, not fanned out as much.

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

I have to comment, my snow blower came with that wire on the bottom. You guys know,,,,instead of the xtra chute plate. That plate can be ordered also, its pricey, about 30 bucks. I wondered what the heck good is that curved wire on the bottom. Sorry, cant post a pic from this notepad gizmo.

Hydro, the one you made looks factory, great job.

Glenn

Hydro

Thanks Glenn, that wire is meant to keep hands out I think, nothing more.  I took mine out.  My chute is a little longer than the factory one which I believe is 8".  MalMac helped me with photos and someone else too I forget but he posted his on here and we chatted before I made mine.  In Canada it was going to be over $50.00 plus taxes of 13%.  I don't think the metal cost me $5.00.  22 gauge If I remember correctly.

• Like 1

1978c81

Just ordered the deflector. $40.00 from my local dealer.

can whlvr

as I said price depends on supply,as stated if you are happy witht he price then that's all that matters,ive paid more than I should have and even drove 14 hours round for stuff,lots of guys have,i think you will be thrilled with that thrower and the cost wont even be in your mind when you use it

• Like 1

Wyattrrp

Follow this thread and I posted a drawing of the dimensions for adding a chute cover.  It helps stop powder snow from flying out the front and if windy, back into your face.  Deflect the snow straight upward.  Mine also attaches with 2 1/4" bolts with wingnuts at the outer lower corners so very easy to remove if wet heavy snow storm which can fill the chute and clog it so I can remove it within 2 min prior to blowing..  Factory ones connect to bolts holding the tall chute to the base which is much more difficult to remove and reinstall.  It is a long posting with help from several others.  I include the scketch with dimensions and stock to buy, just click on the sketch to enlarge it.

Wyatt

• Like 1