nylyon

Resorcinol Glue

nylyon

Guys, my daughter's H.S. Chemistry teacher has assigned various glues and to use them in a successful and unsuccessful experiment.  Mine got Resorcinol glue which is used for boat building.  Amazon has it for $62, and I am not amused at spending this amount for something I can not use.  So I have a 2 part question.

Does anyone have resorcinol glue which Brittany can borrow a small sample of?

If we do end up buying it, is anyone interested in buying the remainder from me?

Thanks

Racinbob

I'm of no help as far as having any but WW Grainger has a 25g container for $22.24. That must be some really special stuff. :)

KyBlue

That's insane... are you sure the teacher isn't secretly building a boat and needs more glue??

• Like 1

SALTYWRIGHT

I WILL CHECK DOWN AT THE MARINA THIS WEEK. WE MIGHT HAVE SOME.     RUSS

• Like 1

nylyon

Russ thank you, that would be awesome! She needs very little and we can make the trip to Norwalk.

AMC RULES

Without doing my own research...    :scratchead:

what about this glue makes it so special? 

Racinbob

I did a bit of researching Craig. Here's one blurb I found:

Resorcinol glue is a high wet and dry strength adhesive resistant to elevated temperatures. It is used for wood-to-wood bonding and gluing joints exposed to severe service conditions. Resorcinol withstands temperature extremes from sub zero cold to tropical heat, as well as exposure to either salt or fresh water immersion.

Until the invention of epoxy resin resorcinol was one of the most common marine glues. Unlike epoxy, it does not have gap filling properties, requiring joints to be close fitting and clamped under pressure to achieve good results. The glue came in 2 parts-a red syrup and a light brown powder that were mixed to form glue. Resorcinol has a relatively short shelf life of about 2-3 years depending on storage temperature. Its use has declined since the 1990s due to the ease of use and versatility of epoxy glues and fillers.

I don't have a clue as to why it's so expensive.

Edited by Racinbob

nylyon

It's not that it's special as an individual glue, but each student in the class has a different glue to "test".  There are others who have more bizarre glues.  She needs to glue 2 pieces of wood together using the adhesive AND talk to an expert on the product as well.  Very stressful for the kids especially when the parents question the cost of this stuff!

formariz

Epoxy glues are really not economical to use when laminating large surfaces or easy to use since most have a relatively short "open" time and are also highly toxic. Resorcinol is 100% waterproof and it is easily spreadible having also sufficient "open" time, allowing one to glue larger more complicated jobs. Not as toxic as epoxies but one should be careful. Can be messy to use since unlike epoxy it will "run", and it will leave a distinct red glue line. Probably the best glue there is when used properly for the right application.

I would take what you dont use, however we are kind of not close.

Edited by formariz

squonk

I think her teacher is secretly building a space ship so he can get back home!  :)

• Like 2

MalMac

Seems to me that this project is a waste of the students time and parents money. The research has already been done on this glue and the results have already been documented. Instead of students coming up with their own results and wasting parents money why not have the student research the scientific results that the professionals have come up with and report on them. I am sure there is alot of info out there on this glue that could be reported on instead of investing money on something that has already been proven. let's take the knowledge we already have and learn from it. These are young students not professionals in a high dollar lab and do not have the means to prove or disprove a proven product. Ok I am done ranting. I have a kid graduating from College this coming spring and I have been astounded at the waste of time and money wasted on some stupid things that have nothing to do with the degree. It was bad when I was in College but nothing compared to today.

Save Old Iron

Not as toxic as epoxies but one should be careful. .

It does outgas formaldehyde fumes. 

Hopefully no one in class is sensitive to the fumes.

shorts

Look at the aircraftspruce website for a small quantity of resorcinol glue, my quick research suggests that it is an excellent glue but that it requires tight fitting joints, proper clamping and that the formaldehyde compounds are an irritant that may cause long term health issues if proper precautions are not followed.

• Like 1

nylyon

Look at the aircraftspruce website for a small quantity of resorcinol glue, my quick research suggests that it is an excellent glue but that it requires tight fitting joints, proper clamping and that the formaldehyde compounds are an irritant that may cause long term health issues if proper precautions are not followed.

While still not happy that I had to buy this, I bought the smallest size, hopefully it gets here on time.