snowy the grey

Siezed transmission filler plug

snowy the grey

Hi all. Probably a basic query really but I am having issues with a not so old Toro transmission filler plug. The machine is a 16/38 which has clearly had a short but very hard life and is now very slow which to me suggests either insufficient transmission fluid or air in the system. Looks like the fluid levels have not been checked for some time. The plug is a hex socket but it appears to be alloy hence when any pressure is put on the key to turn it the metal socket starts to deform. Have tried release fluid but no luck. Thought about heating the plug but as the transmission housing and plug are both alloy I am worried that I may fracture or distort the casing. Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks

Desko

Never had one but if its a 6 point hex and its rounded id go with vise grips.

snowy the grey

Thanks for the thought. Tried this but approx 2/3 of the plug is in a recess hence cannot get a good grip.

gwest_ca

What is the model number of this tractor? Suspect the model name is 16-38HXL using a Hydro-gear transmission

Was looking to see what type of plug it is but don't know where to look. Wonder if it is a metric key or an SAE key? There might be enough difference to get a tighter fit. Clean out the hex hole, tap the key in to make sure it is bottomed and hit the key with a block of wood to snap it loose.

Garry

snowy the grey

Downloaded the hydraulics manual from Toro which indicates SAE #6 which I do not have as mine are all metric, however may be able to borrow one in a few days time so lets hope it works.

Thanks for the thought.

gwest_ca

SAE #6 sounds like a fitting thread size. Our SAE hex keys are sized by their width in inches like 1/4" etc. the same way the metric hex keys are measured.

Garry

snowy the grey

Sorry, as you say this is the thread size should have indicated imperial key required. All mine are metric!

snowy the grey

Success. Thanks to all for assistance.

gwest_ca

How did you manage to do it?

Garry

snowy the grey

Combination of hammer, heat and a lot of determination. However has not resolved why it is loosing power at the transmission end!

Thanks for your help.