oldredrider

Tecumseh solid state ingition

oldredrider

Has anyone successfully repaired the ridiculously high dollar solid state ignition on the 10-14hp HH series Tecumseh engines? Is there a conversion that works?

A used ignition seems to sell for more than a complete tractor. I recently found a Sears tractor with a 10hp Techy for $150... $50 less than the module. Go figure.

tbarnhart

There are people that claim to have repaired the units. Keep in mind that there are several different systems that are similar, but not the same. There is an older system used on starter/gen models that the module and trigger were under the flywheel. The later models used a stator under the flywheel that contained two windings, one for the battery charge circuit (10 amp and 20 amp versions) and another to provide power to the ignition unit which was mounted outside and above the flywheel. These systems used two small pins in the flywheel to trigger with the timing switching between a cranking/low speed setting, and a running setting. There are also different ways to convert to a battery ignition. Ed Stoller has been working on these for a while. Check him out at enginesandmagnets.com. A lot of good info there.

• Like 1

wheel-mule

The Sears solid state is different than the standard Tecumseh engine.Can be changed over but it is more work.PM lane ranger he sent me some good info on them awhile back.

bartl

I've "kinda" converted my HH100 from Solid State.  I made a bracket to replace the SSI unit that mounts a magnetic proximity sensor and replaced the 2 pins with rare earth magnets.  Installed a GM 4-pin ignition module to trigger a GM coil.  Engine starts right up and idles great.  Loses spark when rpms increased.  Going to experiment with replacing the pins with plain ferrous ones and going to an NPN transistorized proximity sensor and a Chrysler electronic ignition module.  I think that the magnetic proximity sensor I'm using needs more dwell than can be generated at higher speeds and that the GM module needs more dwell to generate a good spark than can be delivered.  I tried both sensors with the GM module.

oldredrider

Please keep us posted on how it all turns out. The Ed Stroller website mentioned above has a description and parts list for conversion. My brother (electical engineer) is costing out the parts to convert over. We will see how it goes.

• Like 1

wheel-mule

Check out Brian Millers tractor pulling tip and tricks.He has an article on how to modify to run on Ford ,GM,and Chrysler modules

rustyoldjunk

I'm with Lane. They now sell new affordable replacements. Here is another source for a new replacement for the SSI unit. http://overnight-solutions.com/index.htm

• Like 3

WHEEL HORSE 312-8

Picked this up few days ago it has the that ignition thankfully it works

post-13960-0-65091200-1422585546_thumb.j

• Like 1

woodchuckfarmer

Ive converted 2 engines with Ed Strollers conversion each worked good.

Edited by woodchuckfarmer

shallowwatersailor

There was a decent article in Lawn and Garden Tractor magazine a while back as well.