wheel horse man

Transmmision swap help 312-8

wheel horse man

I just bought a work horse gt1800 rolling chassie i tired of my 8 speed 312-8 i have a snow blower and tiller and like to have hydrolic lift and hydro trans the gt1800 has no engine belt guard is there hydro lift is there but sheet metal is gone pretty much just a parts tractor it has a eaton 1100 can i make my 312-8 into a 312-h

Edited by wheel horse man

Kelly

easier to swap your parts to the gt1800 chassis 

wheel horse man

But can it be done with out mod-factions

Kelly

If all the right pieces are there yes it can be a bolt together, post a few pics of the gt1800 so I can see what is missing 

Forest Road

X2 what Kelly said.

wheel horse man

I get pics when i go to pick it up but i checked it out i did not see any thing missing other then the engine and the seat the fender pan and hood was all attached this a full complete tractor the guy i bought it from just wanted the engine for a golf cart he is leaving me the pto and drive pully belt and gauards

Kelly

Swap your engine, wiring and your PTO parts to the gt, everything should be a bolt in, now depending on what year your 312 is you may have to drill a few holes to mount dash lights or swap upper dash's, all the steering will interchange so you can swap to the best parts, your 312 may have 6" front wheels so the spindles will not be the same if so, but most people want the bigger 8" anyway, the gt will have the 8.5 wide 520 style rear wheels with 23x10.5 tires that is a bonus, if I had them both setting here I could have the swap done in less than a day and that is taking my time checking everything over as I go.  

wheel horse man

Kinda low budget build here but i hate to tear my 312-8 apart

post-2607-0-38312400-1419802269_thumb.jp

post-2607-0-87643600-1419803670_thumb.jp

post-2607-0-27781700-1419803854_thumb.jp

post-2607-0-59062900-1419804221_thumb.jp

wheel-mule

To help with the budget I will buy the front weights off the GT.I willgive you $75 for them.Plus I have a GT1800 complete,none running 18hp Briggs.Not perfect but a lot better shape themyour GT.I'd sell for $275.PM me and I can text you pics.I have no way to post them here.

Also I'd take your gt on trade

Kelly

Not sure what you paid for it but the front weights are worth $125+ and you have a 48" deck, and rear weights your 312 is pretty nice looking from here but to try to swap parts to it from the GT you will have to tear  the whole tractor apart If mine I would find a engine for the GT 

wheel horse man

Lol front weights not for sale going to my personal collection. Buy the way i paid 120$ for the tractor came with the deck 42inch blade rear weights and the front wheel horse weights the frame on the tractor is twisted and broke thats why i want to use my 312 8 frame i just decided to switch transmission and restore the 312-8 to a 312-H. I just want to know what parts will i have to change buy the way snow blade for sale . I going to make these a project restoration i post pics of it as i start it i calling it project 312-8 / H conversion

post-2607-0-88719500-1419811482_thumb.jp

post-2607-0-44235500-1419811619_thumb.jp

post-2607-0-74205100-1419811840_thumb.jp

Edited by wheel horse man

baerpath

I would straighten and plate the frame or pickup another frame. I wouldn't take the 312 apart for what little you need.  I'd find another twin and redo it. Your tractor but my thoughts on it

Callen

where is it broken?

wheel horse man

Right in front of transmission plate with the 4 bolts

WH nut

Right in front of transmission plate with the 4 bolts

That can be fixed easy enough, just cut a plate to go in front and weld in and rebolt.

baerpath

Fairly common repair lot's of threads on here about doing it.   I have a 18hp briggs that would work in it I can drop off in Springfield while I'm at the pull

wheel horse man

I like a challenge so i decided to do the swap i going to do a mild restore of the 312-8 and the eaton 1100 i need to know what should i do to service the eaton 1100 has an old filter and fluid on the dip stick looks clean but level at the middle of low and full should i add oil or drain it and change it and the filter looks like no one every paid no mind to matinance on the tractor

wheel horse man

Bump

can whlvr

im surprised no one mentioned that hydros absolutely suck for tilling,i put my tiller on my 312-h and will NEVER EVER do it again,i was warned here not to do it but had to find out for myself,you cant control the tractor at all,either moving too fast or not at all,i too would find a motor for the gt and leave the 8 speed alone

• Like 1

wheel horse man

I was thinking of put the tiller on my b80 like i have all ways done with the 16hp on it and putting a foot control on the hydro

can whlvr

yes I would put it on the geared tractor,but its nice to have a hydro or 2 for other duties like snow removal,mowing etc,anything other than tilling,not sure how they do pulling a soil turning plough

diamondred

yes I would put it on the geared tractor,but its nice to have a hydro or 2 for other duties like snow removal,mowing etc,anything other than tilling,not sure how they do pulling a soil turning plough

My 520h will pull a Brinly 10" plow, didn't even have a problem with turf tires. But gonna go back to the 314-8 for pullin' a plow, pushin' a plow, and tilling. Just like that "same speed everytime thing".

post-12532-0-92135200-1420211102_thumb.j

post-12532-0-49314200-1420211238_thumb.j

Edited by diamondred

wheelhorseman

Wheel horse man (nice name by the way) :bow-blue:  your B-80 will work for the tiller however it will get a work out. I put my tiller on my C-81 and it gave the engine a work out, now I always till with my C-160