Sign in to follow this  
Stevie

Garden/Lawn attachments Advice needed

Stevie

Hi everyone, I am new to forum and new to wheelhorse garden tractors also.What I would like to know is what tractor and implements would you recomend for my situation.I live in Mobile,Al small residental yard, recently cleared 1/2 acre back yard to start a small garden an plant new grass with a few fruit trees.I need to level existing dirt from tree and stump removal also need tiller for lawn prep and garden.Looking for something large enough. Also something that would be dependable with some but not constant maintenance. Ease of connecting attachments is important. Also I have checked with dealers listed in my area and they seem clueless about true garden tractors,where would be the best place to buy and get one shipped. Thanks in advance ,Stevie By the way I am impressed with alot of the restorations I have seen on the site.

T-Mo

Hi, Stevie. :USA:

Mobile, Alabama. We have another member from Alabama, but he has not been here for a while.

I would look for a 300, 400, or 500 series, or a C-series. I believe these are more easier to find, a little newer than the 60's and early 70's models, therefore would, or should require less maintenance (especially the 300/400/500 series) and attachments are easier to find. Also attachments would work on all these series.

Even though I like the hydros better, the 8 speeds might be easier to maintain.

Again, welcome to the site. :banghead:

refracman

:banghead: Stevie,

A Wheel Horse will fit your needs very well. Attachments are easy to attach and remove and for the dollars spent, inexpensive.

With that being said a newer 300 (1985 to 2007) or 400 (1985 to 1995?) series tractor will fit your needs, they range from 8 to 18 hp and will all run a rototiller. With that being said the more hp the easier the rototiller will work. Mowing decks are plentiful also and range from 36 to 48.

The attachments from 1973 to 2007 made for the C, 300, 400 and 500 are all but for a very few interchangable. Which makes it very nice when looking for something. Also a lot of the drive trane exept for the motor are also interchangable and in some cases they are also.

Parts are relativily easy to come by also, from your Toro dealer, ebay, tractor shows, tractor swap meets or the online groups members, although with that being said Toro is starting to discontinue manufacturing of most parts for the Wheel Horse line.

Good Luck and :USA:

Rod(NASNUT)

Hi Stevie and :USA: I can not add anything to what has already been said other then a Wheel Horse is what you need the attachments are easier to hook up and these things run forever. You can look on E-Bay or Craigslist there is a link to this site in the links on this paige also any Classifieds. Good luck :banghead: and :omg:

jusjeepn

Stevie, First :omg: As an ever accruing wheel horse owner, I am biased and very partial to the Red Horse :thumbs: . I have owned, operated and repaired most types of garden tractors and all do have their pluses and their quirks. In my opinion, Wheel Horses have the easiest attachment system out of all the other brands. I honestly can say the cut of my horses is not the best quality that I have ever had but it is still very nice none the less. The versatility of attachments between models has never been equaled nor do I think that it will be. If you do decide to go red, I promise you, you'll be hooked and very well satisfied!! Heck, if you lived closer I'd let you borrow one of mine! :lol: As far as hydro or manual goes, that will be better for you to decide. I myself am a hydro man. :USA: I love the hydro lift and the infinitly variable speed control. A little more maintainance maybe but well worth it. There are an abundance of implements still available either red or aftermarket. I would encourage you to shop around, and if you have access to an old horse, compare. I think, without question, you'll go red! :banghead:

Stevie

Thanks for the responses fellows, I saw an 18 automatic on ebay out of ohio about 12 hr from me its sitting at 500 now with 23 hrs left I like the hitch and pto shaft. what do yall think? thanks Stevie(looking)

Stevie

Also a 12hp automatic on ebay in tennessee 700 ?????????? 9 hrs away looks nice

dgjks6

well, did you ever get one?