Torino

23X10.50X12 chains on 23X8.50 X12 tires?

Torino

Will 23X10.50X12 chains work on 23X8.50 X12 tires? 

Kelly

not really they will be to loose, you want chains to fit as tight as you can get them. 

Tankman

Use chain binders, probably two on each chain. They'll work.

Hodge71

Both answers are right in a way. I had a set of 10.50 chains the 8.50 tires on my boys Charger 12. Before I got the 18 auto plow on this year. They fit buuuuut.... As Kelly states, they are wayyyy loose. Constantly hitting the underside of the fender pan when you're going any faster than 3/4 speed. They work, not ideally or as they're intended to fit but they're better than just turf tires. And I used 5 link chain binders. If you love your tractor don't scrape the paint off the bottom of the pan or risk getting a finger grabbed by an errant cross chain. Get the right ones.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kelly

Loose chains are dangerous, I like mine tight so you can barely move them, my son last winter had a chain come loose and kept plowing till it ripped the foot rest almost off the tractor, newer hydros have plastic fans that are close the the tire, and get broke by loose chains, buy the right ones and not all tires are the same size even if the size on them is the same, so keep that in mind when buying chains, if your brand or style 8.50 tire runs small, you may need a chain for a 7.50 tire I have a few used sets of chains if your looking, most I sell for $20-40 a set plus shipping and most ship in a flat rate box @ $17  

• Like 1

wheel-mule

When I install chains I let all the air out of the tires ,install chain as tight as possible than air up .This way no binder needed and you  know chains are tight

• Like 1

vinnyfish1

It takes a little practice get them right.... use binders in the mean time... when installed properly they should hang pretty straight across the tire when looking from the rear...If you have bar chains make sure the bar is installed towards the ground ...... you will likely have some left over chain links .. I always tie them down with some thin wire rather than cutting them off

Dhodge

Be careful especially if it's an automatic. The first thing loose chains do is bust the fan blade used for cooling the transmition.