rmaynard

Metal Fatigue (cracks) in Hoodstand Components - 416-H

rmaynard

Is it common for a 300/400/500 series tractor with 1600 hours to experience this kind of metal fatigue in the hoodstand area?

post-2221-0-14449000-1419623326_thumb.jppost-2221-0-44731400-1419623331_thumb.jppost-2221-0-47151000-1419623336_thumb.jppost-2221-0-43699100-1419623343_thumb.jppost-2221-0-54135200-1419623348_thumb.jppost-2221-0-57911900-1419623353_thumb.jp

I have considered welding them, but I might just replace them if I can find some decent used pieces..

Any thoughts?

woodchuckfarmer

Ive welded a few up. Its not uncommon.

JimD

Bob, if you're tearing this one down for restoration or even a refurb and you can tig or mig weld I'd give it a shot if I were you. I only have an arc (stick) welder and I'm sure it wouldn't be capable of the kind of finesse welding you need to do there. It sure would be cheaper than the replacement parts so you really have nothing to lose. :)

Edited by JimD

Shuboxlover

I've seen it alot!

rmaynard

I have a MIG welder, but I'm a hole burner, not a welder. I can do crude welding, but something like this is not my forte. I would have to take it somewhere to have it done right.

So, if this is a common problem as Wayne and Tyson have said, what is the cause? Can it be prevented in the future. Does this type of tractor have too much flex?

Inquiring minds want to know.

slammer302

From what I've observed from watching my dad get off and on wheel horses is when someone uses the steering wheel to pull themselves off and on to the tractor especially larger people it puts a lot of were on the steering wheel and dash tower just my 2 cents

• Like 1

cleat

I just tore down my 520HC today. The HC like the later 520's has a larger seat support that encompases the rear tunnel cover screws. You would think that would have stopped the cracking but no, I will need to get mine welded up as well.

No cracks at the hoodstand area however.

Cleat

Molon_Labe

Bob I have the same problem with my 416-8 with 1800+ hours. The plan is to pull it off and weld 1/4" rod on the inside of both sides of the upper dash next spring.

post-13276-0-56378700-1419632115_thumb.j

• Like 2

rmaynard

Bob I have the same problem with my 416-8 with 1800+ hours. The plan is to pull it off and weld 1/4" rod on the inside of both sides of the upper dash next spring.

attachicon.gifSAM_0543.JPG

That sounds like a good idea.

buckrancher

So, if this is a common problem as Wayne and Tyson have said, what is the cause? Can it be prevented in the future. Does this type of tractor have too much flex?

Inquiring minds want to know.

some of the problem ( at lease the seat support) can come from too many Mrs Maynards cookie bars

Brian

Edited by buckrancher
  • Like 4

buckrancher

here's the fix I did on a 414-8 added a plate on the bottom side

post-591-0-05381000-1419636851_thumb.jpg

Brian

• Like 8

rmaynard

That looks great. Wish I had your welding skills.

can whlvr

I too have seen the cracks where the seat bolts on,i bought a 110 volt mig welder for working on the horses,its great for light meatal,i have a 220 stick but could never do what the light welder can do

rmaynard

The one I have is a 120 volt Lincoln. I used a friends 240 volt welder in his shop, with him making all the correct settings, and I did a good job welding some 1/4" steel. I need him to come to my shop and show me how to set up my welder to do light stuff like this.

stevebo

I had one like that too.

@Brian- will you please learn how to weld :ychain:  That looks terrible :ROTF:

motor12

Oxygen/ acetylene welding works very nice on Wheel horse sheet metal and may not be as intimating as other forms of welding. My 854 needed a bunch of reworking and I used gas welding for it all.

Edited by motor12

Kelly

Very common issue, seen many of the rear tabs broke off, starting in 78 up, that problem is common, good used will be hard to find

rmaynard

Looks like I need to learn to weld.

• Like 2

buckrancher

I had one like that too.

@Brian- will you please learn how to weld :ychain:  That looks terrible :ROTF:

Steve my wife says I'm a work in progress :chores-mop:

Tankman

Mig weld the cracks.

We used to keep copper blocks in our tool boxes; i.e.: 2" wide x 1/2" thick x 6" long.

Clamp the copper piece behind the crack, then weld the crack. No blow outs, no blown holes.

Nice looking, no excellent repairs buckrancher! 

• Like 5

Tankman

attachicon.gifSAM_0543.JPG

My '85 416-8 had the same cracks, welded 'em. I like the idea of using the rod wish I did that but didn't.

The weld is holding up fine but, next time rod behind the crack!

Trouty56

Does anyone think the rock shaft could be the cause???  Picking up or pushing up attachments has to cause a lot pressure on the hood stands of all models.....I always thought this area should have been beefier

• Like 1

rmaynard

You are right about the area where the rock shaft is mounted should be beefier, but I don't think that would account for the cracks in the upper dash panel where the steering wheel comes through. The original owner rarely used his snow blower or plow, as they both look practically new, and I'm guessing that 90% of the time was mowing. However, if he had an uneven or rough lawn, a lot of flexing could account for the cracking.

• Like 2

Don1977

My 312 didn't have a rocker shaft and is broken on the left side. The footrest were all bent, I think it was from a 350# or so pound owner. I weigh 180# and the footrest gave every time I stepped on them. I beat them back straight, and reinforced them with a 3/8" rod spot welded under the lip. Haven't fixed the hood stand, need to fix the steering shaft support and haven't got the steering wheel off as yet. I have a fender washer under the hood stand until I can get everything apart.

Edited by Don1977

chazm

Bob, let me ask you this ... where the mounting bolts tight ??  my 314 wasn't cracked ,but all the hood stand bolts were loose :eusa-think:  From the one pic it looks like the wear on the tab could be from loose hardware ... :confusion-shrug: